Best, affordable home defense rifle - Page 2

Best, affordable home defense rifle

This is a discussion on Best, affordable home defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn $700? Hmmm...AR-15s might be out of the price range. There are plenty of ARs for under 700. DPMS Oracle is about ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Best, affordable home defense rifle

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    $700? Hmmm...AR-15s might be out of the price range.
    There are plenty of ARs for under 700. DPMS Oracle is about 630, S&W has a few for about 650, doublestar has some for 670
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Good ole trusty thudy-thudy will serve you well for hd beyond your initial 25 yard perimeter to about 100 to 150 yards. YMMV

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Carrol View Post
    Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport
    Boom. Simple and effect choice right there. It's not a battle ready "go to war"( ) AR15, but it will serve the purpose of HD just fine. I don't see why you'd need a forward assist of a dust cover for simple home defense. However, if you plan to keep this rifle for more complicated defensive situations where inevitable abuse, extensive firing, and the earths elements come into play, it'd be smart to look for a a higher quality rifle. I've always said that most any commercially available AR15 on the market will likely serve John Doe just fine even for an HD rifle. However, the higher quality AR's are a major plus for a "serious" rifle as they are proven to be more reliable.

If you're willing to think outside the 5.56 box, the responses from other members here also provide good ideas for simple HD rifles. There are always AK's in 5.45 or 7.62x39. AK's are generally cheaper than AR's. Good AK's go for about the same prices as low-midgrade quality AR's. SKS's are a very affordable option.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    For example:

A pistol-cartridge carbine (e.g., 9mm, .40, .45) can be short and lightweight, but its effectiveness at neutralizing a threat is pretty limited to under a hundred yards. A .357 mag lever gun is a pretty good alternative to the semi-autos for the added downrange energy it retains.

The AR platform is ubiquitous these days, but quality varies; you pretty much get what you pay for. If you want a rugged piece that won't let you down under trying conditions, that will cost more than the "hobby"-level gun that gets used 100 rounds at a time at the range and detail-cleaned after every outing.

A lot of folks like AKs for their robustness, and there is no disputing that they eat the cheap commie-bloc ammo like a fat kid eats M&Ms.

But the choice of HD weapon depends a lot on your circumstances. Previous posts have suggested a Mosin-Nagant, a .410 shotgun, and a .22 autoloader; each has its merits. If you are in a rural setting with neighboring homes barely in sight, then maybe a bolt-action military rifle makes sense, if you think the threat will be identified at some distance from your house. But that won't fly in a dense suburban tract-home subdivision. I currently live on a 1/8-acre lot where 25 feet between neighboring homes is generous, and the homes are made of stucco, chicken wire and sheetrock, so a heavy .30 cal rifle is out of place unless we're in a TEOTWAWKI situation. And if you live in an apartment building, that's a different situation altogether!
    I had to throw the Mosin carbine out there simply because it's a 'cheap fun gun' that will do anything you need (and I think everyone should have one). But, with that, there is the over penetration. Which, is one reason I mentioned the .410- because it's easy to handle and has light enough recoil that your wife/girlfriend can handle it with ease if necessary. My wife sleeps with a .357 snub beside the bed, I keep my 1911 handy. Now that I'm in an apartment, I REALLY have to worry about 'collateral damage'- I can't go slinging 12ga magnums around like I could in a house.

A rifle just isn't a great HD gun unless you're defending the whole farm from the rooftop. THEN you want a good rifle that will reach out and touch someone. I all depends on what exactly HD is to you- an apartment with kids on the other side of the wall, or a farm on 1000 acres, or somewhere in between. - Most homes don't really have more than 20-30 feet of straight line sight anyway; a good handgun will take care of that with no problem and you won't even need the shotgun other than for the missus to provide the 'last line' in the bedroom if you have to go clear for some reason (like going to protect your kids in the other room).
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Pick up a Mosin-Nagant carbine for ~$180, spend the rest on ammo.

Fun guns, inexpensive guns, and trouble free. Pretty much guaranteed to stop anything you might come across. ...if nothing else, the muzzle blast will make their heads explode.
    Agreed. An SKS is a far better starter rifle for self-defense purposes.

My opinion only. Sks, good round, simple gun, inexpensive, highly modifiable, not sure that's a word. You get the point. And you can finally use the term clip correctly in a conversation when referring to stripper clips!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have read different articles stating that a high speed round such as the 5.56 is ideal for home use with proper bullets because the bullets will expend their energy in the walls and not continue on to your neighbors house. Where as a larger and lower velocity round would plow through the walls and into the next house with ease. Makes sense to me.

Michael

Im ganna go on a limb with something I know little about but how about a Rossi Circut Judge? Sure it has the disadvantage of a revolver (only six rounds) but it has the versatility of choice. You can shoot .45 and .45 Long Colt as well as 410 and that is not to mention the different loads of each to choose from. Plenty of people do rely on revolvers vs semi-autos for defense... this is just a revolver carbine so to speak?

Again I dont know much beyond what I have read and hears about them but they seem formidable and I have yet to hear anythinf negative.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Rossi Circut Judge?
    Never shot the Rossi revolving rifle but I have made the mistake of having my hand in front of the cylinder when firing large revolvers. They put off some hot gas. As I said, never tried it with the Rossi.

Michael

Ahhh! For whatever reason I cant edit my post.

The Rossi Circut Judge is well within a realistic budget. I have found one at Wally World with a wood stock and foregrip and a picatinny rail for optics and its $530 I think. They have several options like wood or synthetic, iron sights only or a rail, etc.

It really seems to be an ideal home defense weapon if your on a budget and are willing to sacrifice hicap and semiauto. Both of thoes can be made up for with having a pistol for backup of course
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have read different articles stating that a high speed round such as the 5.56 is ideal for home use with proper bullets because the bullets will expend their energy in the walls and not continue on to your neighbors house. Where as a larger and lower velocity round would plow through the walls and into the next house with ease. Makes sense to me.

Michael

this is exactly what I heard, I heard they can also be better than a pistol in the home, and with 00 buckshot, there can be over penetration, and when birdshot, there may not be enough penetration. most likely I would use my glock 23, this rifle will also definitely be used for fun lol .'.any good, affordable ak that fires 5.65? thanx for making me feel welcome also

One can only answer this question in a situational sense. If you live in an apartment, use any name brand riot gun with bird shot in order to avoid overpenetration, or any name brand handgun with hollowpoints or frangible ammunition. If you live in a house, you may upgrade your shotgun to slugs or buckshot. If you live in a rural area with your neighbors at a respectable distance, you may wish to include an intermediate range semiautomatic rife such as an ak clone, an sks or a ruger mini 14. Whatever you choose, practice with it until you are very comfortable, and be sure to purchase enough magazines if warranted.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Where do you live?

Eat Ramen and hot dogs for a couple months and make the budget $1K.

Then buy a Colt 6920.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    atctimmy and rmxer85 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    For Home Defense I prefer pistol caliber carbines, if you can find one in the same caliber as your psitol then you've just increased your ammo buying power
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links