Best, affordable home defense rifle - Page 3

Best, affordable home defense rifle

This is a discussion on Best, affordable home defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any one ever shot one of these???? I cant shoot a rifle of shotgun because I've got a prostitic shoulder but was thinking one of ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Best, affordable home defense rifle

Any one ever shot one of these???? I cant shoot a rifle of shotgun because I've got a prostitic shoulder but was thinking one of these would be nice to have around.

mossberg.jpg
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    There are plenty of ARs for under 700. DPMS Oracle is about 630, S&W has a few for about 650, doublestar has some for 670
    True, but add taxes, background check, mags, etc and you are over the OP's stated budget. And a lot of the low end AR's lack features you would want - like iron sights.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    ...with 00 buckshot, there can be over penetration, and when birdshot, there may not be enough penetration...
    Welcome!

Keep in mind, there's a big gap between 00 Buck and "birdshot". My HD shotgun round of choice is #4 Buck, but NO BG is going to remain standing after taking a load of BB shot, or #4 thru 0 Buck at across-the-room range. Even #6 or bigger birdshot is going to be pretty effective at <20 ft.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Welcome!

Keep in mind, there's a big gap between 00 Buck and "birdshot". My HD shotgun round of choice is #4 Buck, but NO BG is going to remain standing after taking a load of BB shot, or #4 thru 0 Buck at across-the-room range. Even #6 or bigger birdshot is going to be pretty effective at <20 ft.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks Jim, I also have #4 in mine as well. Just wanted a rifle to add to my beginning stage of my gun collection you know. Something to play with at the range, but can also be used for HD if ever needed thats all.

VIP Member
    There are lots of AK varients using 5.56 or 5.45 ammo. Look at J&G sales. I'm at work so I can't post a link.

I like the Polish AKs.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    Any one ever shot one of these???? I cant shoot a rifle of shotgun because I've got a prostitic shoulder but was thinking one of these would be nice to have around.

mossberg.jpg
    They are harder to hit with than a pistol or rifle, I discourage people from getting pistol grip shotguns for this reason. I have seen people miss gallon milk jugs at 10 feet with birdshot. A low recoiling carbine would be better suited if you cannot handle the recoil of a shotgun or high powered rifle.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Have you looked at getting a Kel-Tec Sub2000? It can use the same mags as your Glock 23, this will give a a more accurate platform and ammo and mag capatibility
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Administrator
    I'd buy an M&P sport. Or do like Johnny Cash, and buy my AR one piece at a time.
    rmxer85 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. Short, simple to operate, and everybody in your household can utilize it due to the low recoil. Thay come in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Combined with the PX4 pistol, you can use the pistol mags in the carbine and vice versa. Just my thoughts here, with you being new to the Forum, and as everybody else is giving you plenty of good input too.
    BTW, WELCOME to the Forum!
    You can find Ruger PC4's & PC9's on Gunbroker for cheaper than a Beretta CX4 Storm. Just a thought if money is an issue!

After doing much thinking on what would actually be best, I went with a .45 ACP pistol stocked with good hollow points and a light.

It has far less of a chance of existing my house than any rifle round, causes a very large wound with adequate penetration, and much easier to clear a room with than a long gun sticking out around corners.

I suppose my runners up would be a 5.56 loaded with some kind of rapidily expanding bullet or a short semi-automatic shotgun loaded with #4 or #1 buck.
    Last edited by Foo909; July 24th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd buy an M&P sport. Or do like Johnny Cash, and buy my AR one piece at a time.
    Yeah but Johnny didn't buy it. He snuck the parts out in his big lunch box....Hey maybe I should get a job at FNH?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Thanks Jim, I also have #4 in mine as well. Just wanted a rifle to add to my beginning stage of my gun collection you know. Something to play with at the range, but can also be used for HD if ever needed thats all.
    Like several of the guys have said, a pistol-caliber carbine might be a good choice. The Kel-Tec's, Rugers, or Berettas are all nice, and if you're on a budget, the Hi-Point carbine is an option. We have a Hi-Point .40 that has been 100% reliable and is a real hoot to shoot. Best bang-for-the-buck in its class. Wish it had a hi-cap magazine option.

Regards,
    Jim

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I'll second the Keltec Sub200. Recently got one as a relatively inexpensive utility gun to match my Glock 9mm's and it's fun to shoot. The design is simple and seems durable.

If your looking for more of a "battle rifle" type HD gun though the first firearms that come to mind in or under the $700 range would be an....AK stlye rifle, Ruger Mini, SKS, maybe a KelTec SU-16c...the Saiga and VEPR lines of rifles that have been hitting our markets utilize almost every popular battle round in different versions, and are usually reasonably priced.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Hey, I am new to the forum, not sure if anyone has posted this. I currently have a glock 23 and a Remington 870. I am looking for a rifle that could possibly be used for home defense (probably 223 or 5.56). I am looking for the most affordable yet pretty dependable rifle I can find. I am look at spending maybe $700...less if possible. Thank you guys!
    Assuming close quarters, I would recommend a light semi-auto shotgun with a short barrel and a pistol-grip, no but-stock. Put a lite on it if you'd like. Stay away from non-lethal rounds as they only invite lawsuits.

I could give specific model names but there are quite a few viable options.

Mini 14 all the way. Just don't go for the goofy one with the pistol grip and crap.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links