Best, affordable home defense rifle - Page 4

Best, affordable home defense rifle

This is a discussion on Best, affordable home defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ArmyMan Assuming close quarters, I would recommend a light semi-auto shotgun with a short barrel and a pistol-grip, no but-stock. Put a ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Best, affordable home defense rifle

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Assuming close quarters, I would recommend a light semi-auto shotgun with a short barrel and a pistol-grip, no but-stock. Put a lite on it if you'd like. Stay away from non-lethal rounds as they only invite lawsuits.

I could give specific model names but there are quite a few viable options.
    Don't be shy..Benelli M2!
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    They are harder to hit with than a pistol or rifle, I discourage people from getting pistol grip shotguns for this reason. I have seen people miss gallon milk jugs at 10 feet with birdshot. A low recoiling carbine would be better suited if you cannot handle the recoil of a shotgun or high powered rifle.
    Thanks for the reply, that answers my questions about them. I use to shoot my 12 gauge from my hip every now and then when I was in my teens. Thought one of these might be about the same as that. They do look neat.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Don't be shy..Benelli M2!
    Great shotgun, i have the M4.....however i believe the OP said "affordable" :-p the M2 or M4 are not in that category haha

Remmington 870 for home defense.

Mini 14 for medium range

and a good ole $80 mosin nagant 91/30 for longer range. Thing is a brute and sure does knock em down.

BTW all three of them can usually be bought together for less than a benelli ;-)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, that answers my questions about them. I use to shoot my 12 gauge from my hip every now and then when I was in my teens. Thought one of these might be about the same as that. They do look neat.
    If you are willing to practice with it you can be able to hit things across a room, but most people don't like to practice with them.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If you are willing to practice with it you can be able to hit things across a room, but most people don't like to practice with them.
    That's because of the bruises and the loose teeth you'll get. : )
    pgrass101 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

sorry to go off topic a bit, but what is about the mosin nagant that everyone talks about? I am new to this, and googled it, but still not sure I understand the mystique of it?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    sorry to go off topic a bit, but what is about the mosin nagant that everyone talks about? I am new to this, and googled it, but still not sure I understand the mystique of it?
    It's a $75 to $100 dollar bolt rifle that's built like a tank. I think they are turds, but some people think they're super.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's a $75 to $100 dollar bolt rifle that's built like a tank. I think they are turds, but some people think they're super.
    Some you have to hit with a hammer to work the bolt after the fisrt shot, but most of them will work with just a 2x4.

I have a couple, and they work. But I enjoy, my Kar98's Enflied's, 1917's better.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

In that caliber choice(5.56)..you might want to build up some cash and invest in an AR platform. I'm looking at either a Colt or Daniel Defense to fill that niche. If you want to go in another caliber direction to stay on budget..look at a Marlin lever-action in 30-30 or a pistol caliber. Either would be a good choice. I have an 870 Tactical as my "house gun" with my G19 to go with it...heard to beat a properly loaded 12 ga for home defense.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    In that caliber choice(5.56)..you might want to build up some cash and invest in an AR platform. I'm looking at either a Colt or Daniel Defense to fill that niche. If you want to go in another caliber direction to stay on budget..look at a Marlin lever-action in 30-30 or a pistol caliber. Either would be a good choice. I have an 870 Tactical as my "house gun" with my G19 to go with it...heard to beat a properly loaded 12 ga for home defense.
    Agree on all counts!

The S&W M&P15 Sport has been selling for about $650, so you wouldn't have to stretch the $700 budget to get one of those. Lacks a few of the bells/whistles/amenities of the higher-end AR's, but it's a good deal for what it is. I think you can still get a Marlin 336 at Wally-World for under $400.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    They're cheap, rugged, fun, powerful, and have some interesting history.

Of course, somewhere along the line, (probably due to the sheer amount of them owned by young and novice shooters) they've morphed into the ultimate zombie destruction device of all time. LOL.

BTW, I have five of them, and they all work great.

No need for a rifle unless you have a big house or farm... Only advantages over a shotgun are less recoil and more capacity. If these are your reasons for HD rifle, for inside house ranges, go for a 9mm or .40 pistol caliber carbine. Inexpensive, good reliability, low recoil, quieter, and easy for wife/girlfriend to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Very fine post. Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    No need for a rifle unless you have a big house or farm... Only advantages over a shotgun are less recoil and more capacity. If these are your reasons for HD rifle, for inside house ranges, go for a 9mm or .40 pistol caliber carbine. Inexpensive, good reliability, low recoil, quieter, and easy for wife/girlfriend to shoot.
    Not necessarily true. In the event of a breakdown of law and order, a rifle has the advantage of precision, that a shotgun just does not have. Once law and order is restored, you will be held responsible for any shots you take in self defense. Better for them to be more accurate, then less.

For me...

handguns = concealed carry, and moving inside a home
    shotgun = covering the safe room door inside my home
    rifle = defense outside the home

Granted, the OP asked about "home defense rifles" but I consider the area around my home to be "home defense" as well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I've seen a few recommendations for a 30-30. What are the top choices?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links