Best, affordable home defense rifle

This is a discussion on Best, affordable home defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey, I am new to the forum, not sure if anyone has posted this. I currently have a glock 23 and a Remington 870. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Best, affordable home defense rifle

Hey, I am new to the forum, not sure if anyone has posted this. I currently have a glock 23 and a Remington 870. I am looking for a rifle that could possibly be used for home defense (probably 223 or 5.56). I am looking for the most affordable yet pretty dependable rifle I can find. I am look at spending maybe $700...less if possible. Thank you guys!

plr-16

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Pick up a Mosin-Nagant carbine for ~$180, spend the rest on ammo.

Fun guns, inexpensive guns, and trouble free. Pretty much guaranteed to stop anything you might come across. ...if nothing else, the muzzle blast will make their heads explode.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I would not consider a 7.62 x 54 bolt action rifle a good HD weapon....got one myself for fun at the range. Anyway, I am a big shotgun guy for HD for many reasons though I have an AR for HD also. IMO if you elect to go with an AR style or any rifle for that matter you should have proper training on how to use it and what ammo to use.

Ar-15

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I would not consider a 7.62 x 54 bolt action rifle a good HD weapon....got one myself for fun at the range. Anyway, I am a big shotgun guy for HD for many reasons though I have an AR for HD also. IMO if you elect to go with an AR style or any rifle for that matter you should have proper training on how to use it and what ammo to use.
    Yeah... A Mossberg 500 in .410 would probably be best- .410 is a light, easy to handle round that won't likely over penetrate.

Other than that... I have a particular love of the 7.62X39. Shotguns are probably best for HD since they won't penetrate too far typically (unless you go overboard and load slugs or 00/000)- unlike almost any rifle cartridge.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OO is fine.....IMO .410 is a waste. No good for anything other rounds could not do better. But JMO What ever you can shoot well under stress is best. If married or partnered it is good to have them armed also. Wife has a 228 on her side in a bedside holster, I have a revolver on nightstand and228 in a bedside holster. Shotgun under bed her side, AR on my side.

I already have a shotgun, don't want another. What is an affordable AR-15?

After a 12 gauge: Ruger 10/22. You can buy new for $265, or find one like new in a pawn shop for <$200. Then the world is your limit for a build up. This one cost $150 used, $150 in parts. Inside of 100 yards, I shoot it better than my AR. Butler Creek 25 rd steel lip mags work well. I can pocket 10 of them.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:
    miller_man and rmxer85 like this.

$700? Hmmm...AR-15s might be out of the price range.

A lever gun is a good bet. You can get a rifle caliber (.30-30) or a handgun caliber (.357/.38 or .44 Mag/.44 Spl). Money left over for ammo and range time.

You might be able to get a Ruger Mini 14, if you shop around. Or an AK. Maybe.

But really, for covering the door to your safe room in the event of a home defense situation, I would stick with the shotgun. I consider the rifle more suited to defense outside the home, where its greater range and accuracy (compared to a shotgun) is an advantage.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Welcome to the forum!

You've asked one of those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" questions. The answer is highly dependent on your circumstances and your specific goals or requirements for the weapon.

For example:

A pistol-cartridge carbine (e.g., 9mm, .40, .45) can be short and lightweight, but its effectiveness at neutralizing a threat is pretty limited to under a hundred yards. A .357 mag lever gun is a pretty good alternative to the semi-autos for the added downrange energy it retains.

The AR platform is ubiquitous these days, but quality varies; you pretty much get what you pay for. If you want a rugged piece that won't let you down under trying conditions, that will cost more than the "hobby"-level gun that gets used 100 rounds at a time at the range and detail-cleaned after every outing.

A lot of folks like AKs for their robustness, and there is no disputing that they eat the cheap commie-bloc ammo like a fat kid eats M&Ms.

But the choice of HD weapon depends a lot on your circumstances. Previous posts have suggested a Mosin-Nagant, a .410 shotgun, and a .22 autoloader; each has its merits. If you are in a rural setting with neighboring homes barely in sight, then maybe a bolt-action military rifle makes sense, if you think the threat will be identified at some distance from your house. But that won't fly in a dense suburban tract-home subdivision. I currently live on a 1/8-acre lot where 25 feet between neighboring homes is generous, and the homes are made of stucco, chicken wire and sheetrock, so a heavy .30 cal rifle is out of place unless we're in a TEOTWAWKI situation. And if you live in an apartment building, that's a different situation altogether!

So... with all of that to digest, can you further refine your HD requirements?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Beretta CX4 Storm carbine. Short, simple to operate, and everybody in your household can utilize it due to the low recoil. Thay come in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Combined with the PX4 pistol, you can use the pistol mags in the carbine and vice versa. Just my thoughts here, with you being new to the Forum, and as everybody else is giving you plenty of good input too.
    BTW, WELCOME to the Forum!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Smith and Wesson M&P15 Sport
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

As for the "best" home defense long gun... shotgun, which you already have.

.223 over penetrates way too much for my taste of HD.

That said, AR15 is the best SHTF, small game and overall range rifle. Bushmaster and DPMS make $700 models. Check out Buds Gun Shop online. Note, they are money pits cause the second you get them, you will want upgrades. I got a DPMS for $700 delivered including FFL after a LOT of research. Have since dropped $500 in add-on and modifications (free float specter length quad rail, votex red dot, few p-mags, etc). My DPMS is very reliable and accurate so far (even threw in two boxes of steel ammo to see if it would work, which it did).

You can do a PSA build for right around $700.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links