Thinking About A New Gun

Thinking About A New Gun

This is a discussion on Thinking About A New Gun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm thinking about getting a good shotgun for home defense. Currently I have two handguns, a springfield XD-9 Subcompact for concealed carry and a ...

Thread: Thinking About A New Gun

Thinking About A New Gun

So I'm thinking about getting a good shotgun for home defense.

Currently I have two handguns, a springfield XD-9 Subcompact for concealed carry and a Springfield 1911 GI which I use for a variety of things (occasional carry w/ a coat, bedside gun, etc). I also have a Ruger 10/22 Carbine that I use for plinking. My problem is that I (currently) live in an apartment in a crummy area of town and my biggest worry is that if someone did break in and I was forced to fire on them I would end up injuring one of my neighbors.

I know the traditional answer is "Just don't miss" but I like to take every precaution possible.

When I took my CCW course the instructor reccomended that for apartment defense a good 12 gauge shotgun loaded with birdshot would be the best option. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Currently I'm exploring the possibility of picking up a Mossberg 500 from my local Big-5 (going for about 200 bucks).

Your help is appreciated,
    Ryan

If For Some Reason...

you are knowingly living in a bad area...why would you want to keep any extra guns in your apartment?

I would worry about losing anything not on my person during a break-in! Stick with what you carry until you can be in a better neighborhood.
    --or--
    Buy a safe!

Stay alert...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You know...a safe isn't a bad call.

I have a few questions about them?

Wouldn't anything small enough be easy for a crook to remove the entire safe from an apartment, I dont want to keep a full size 600 lb gun safe in my apartment as my wife and I plan to move soon and I'm not sure how I'd transport it.

VIP Member
    Ryan, take a look at this as a stopgap measure until you move.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=242225

Then look at this page:

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

I would not recommend bird shot however. Read through the thread in this forum and in the Defensive Ammunition and Ballistics forum to get an idea of the proper shell to use. I use a tactical #4 buck shot, but I own the house I live in. This round might not be feasible for apartment dwellers.

Best to you.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

thanks for the links, I'll give them a look and consideration.

Lead Moderator
    Any safe will slow em down. as for what rounds,I guess you need to weight the whole over/under penetration and decide for yourself.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Given the situation that you have mentioned I would suggest---> a very short bbl'ed shotgun,in 12ga.,with pistol grip if possible,shooting a very light target load(3 1/4--1 1/4),in either 7 1/2 shot or 8 shot.

At a later date you can replace the pistol grip with a full stock if needed.

For now,over penetration would be one of my main concerns. --------

Links