The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons - Page 2

The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

This is a discussion on The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a matching numbers Russian 1953. The ammo is some of the lowest cost ammo. I have the AK47 type detachable mags for it ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

VIP Member
    I have a matching numbers Russian 1953. The ammo is some of the lowest cost ammo. I have the AK47 type detachable mags for it but found the factory set up works best. If you want to hunt deer or plink at the range it will be good. Under 200 yards. Yes you can work the triggers and get them very nice.

1). mine will group 2 moa maybe slightly better
    2). no misfeeds ever 1000 plus rounds
    3). I have not got it really dirty so can't answer #3
    4). no failure to feed I use the Wolf steel cased or I make my own from brass reloads with .311 bullet from Sierra I can't remember whos brass it is. Most of my use is with the Wolf steel cased that I just toss in garbage after my session.
    5). I did not customize my rifle. It is as issued. ( tried AK47 type mags did not like them)
    6). purchased from a friend so the cost is kinda unknown to my since we trade things all the time from Bullets to beef, tires and bikes. But I think he paid well under $300 for it. I have owned it for over 5 years now. he had it 5 years before me. It is a very nice quality kinda of a high end SKS if there is such a thing. I wish it would group a bit better, ( it may but there are only so many hours in a day and I got other rifles to work on ahead of this one.)

I have 3. Two yugoslavians and a russian. I like the yugos best. I don't know much about CA laws but unless you need to change something to comply with state law I'd leave it alone. Then thats just me I generally don't tac up my guns much. I'd much rather own and shoot a standard SKS than a AR or AK that had to be modified to comply with state law. My Yugo sks's are great shooters for a knock around iron sighted jack of all trades utility gun. I love em and shoot em more than my AK. Bought my russian sks in 1994 for $140. Bought my Yugos about 6 years ago paid $140 for one and $175 for the other. Seems they go for around $300 now.
    I don't abuse em so don't know how they'll shoot if you bury em in sand or drive your truck over em, but mine have been totaly reliable and a joy to shoot. A couple of my favorite guns.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

You're in CA? Consider a lever gun in .30-30.

I considered a SKS, but went with a Marlin 336. The lever gun is lighter/easier to swing onto target. Easier to mount a scope. And easier to keep topped off. And despite what you'll read on the internet, a 150-170 gr .30-30 is better than a 123 gr 7.62 x 39.

And finally - you're in CA. A "hunting" gun is less likely to cause issues than a "military" gun.
    pgrass101, craze and bmcgilvray like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    10thmtn has some good advice. Of course you can get your mall ninja on better with a SKS, but with a .30-30 you can go the cowboy way
    l1a1 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The lever gun is lighter/easier to swing onto target. Easier to mount a scope. a 150-170 gr .30-30 is better than a 123 gr 7.62 x 39.

And finally - you're in CA. A "hunting" gun is less likely to cause issues than a "military" gun.
    I agree and disagree.
    yes easy to "swing" on target
    Scope mounts are funny on the levers way to high or to the left. ( both guns are best with iron sites)
    I think both bullets have killed many deer so the bullets are a push.
    yes to the Ca laws comment but I would rather hunt with the SKS I have used both. The levers are fun to run.

You're in CA? Consider a lever gun in .30-30.

I considered a SKS, but went with a Marlin 336. The lever gun is lighter/easier to swing onto target. Easier to mount a scope. And easier to keep topped off. And despite what you'll read on the internet, a 150-170 gr .30-30 is better than a 123 gr 7.62 x 39.

I got me a 336 too and pretty much agree on all points. It's a much better balanced gun than the sks, particularly the Yugos which are even heavier than most other variations. The .30-30 is a more powerfull round but not by much, same velocities with a slightly heavier bullet. I do tend to shoot my sks guns more just because ammo is cheaper and I just like ugly utilitarian guns. The marlin is probably more accurate than most sks rifles and easier to mount optics on. I've taken deer at 150 yards with a scoped 336 could probably stretch that out to 200 don't think Id be comfortable beyond that. An iron sighted sks I would consider a 100 yard or less hunting rifle and there aren't many good options for mounting optics to the sks.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle? OK

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session? 200 rounds per session

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems? I try to keep it clean

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo? I've had two FTFs firing over 1,000 rounds, but I'm using removable magazines...

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS? Yes, see photo of my son holding it below:

*Cost? I bought mine for $235

SKS.jpg
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I love mine, put 500 rds through it at one sitting, all stripper clip fed. Ate em all and didn't skip a beat. I put a tapco stock on it to reduce weight. They are not extremely accurate but I can manage 3.5 inch groups at 100 yds if I do my part. Have you looked into the AR platforms that are legal in CA? It is a joke. Reloading becomes a mission, only 10 rds and its still expensive. I will not buy an AR till the law changes or I move out of this state.

The sks is the precursor to the AK. From all accounts I have seen they are just as rugged, durable and easy to use. Heck they were made for illiterate farmers to use and they did Damn fine with em.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    An iron sighted sks I would consider a 100 yard or less .
    You should be able to go 200 yards with it. Iron sites. Get out to the 200 yard range. It is not that far. 100 yards or less is revolver time ( 357 mag or 44 mag)

"...despite what you'll read on the internet, a 150-170 gr .30-30 is better than a 123 gr 7.62 x 39."

Amen to this statement!

The .30-30, especially from the excellent Marlin Model 336 is one accurate cartridge and because of the .30-30s ability to handle heavier .30 bullets it should be rightly considered a true "high-powered" rifle. The Model 336 is fast, slick, well-configured and well-balanced. It's pleasant to shoot. It allows reasonable scope mounting for those who desire optical sights. The Winchester Model 94 Carbine? Not quite so much. The Model 94 has a "traditional" look about it and is light and feels handy. It's also fast and slick. It's great to carry all day on stalking types of hunts. It doesn't appear to be able to yield quite the accuracy that the Marlin is capable of producing and is less comfy to shoot off the bench if you are a galoot like I am. This is from a shooter who owns and has owned several Winchester Model 94 Carbines and has never owned a Model 336. Have played with others' Model 336 rifles and found them first rate.

The onlly thing is, the lever-action rifles don't have a folding bayonet. This shouldn't be a issue as the silly bayonet is only so much baggage anyway.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I actually like the SKS sights which do less to limit my rifle than the wretched trigger and basic accuracy displayed by the piece.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Just saying the SKS is cheaper to own and shoot than the 30.30
    About 1/2 half the price of the Marlin 336
    ammo is cheaper also so the more expensive 30.30 should be better
    Only thing is the Marlin is brand new, good luck finding a brand new in the box SKS not a re-armored

You can remove the bayonet to lighten it. Or you could try and gut your deer with it. that would be a good youtube video, hunter guts deer with 60 year old bayonet attached while attached to rifle.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The onlly thing is, the lever-action rifles don't have a folding bayonet. This shouldn't be a issue as the silly bayonet is only so much baggage anyway.

Planning on going medieval on the BGs, are ya?

I did my last bayonet charge about 25 years ago...don't plan any more...
    mano3 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    :

I did my last bayonet charge about 25 years ago...don't plan any more...
    Lets hope you don't have to anymore!

I have a Yugo SKS I recently got for $275 at a gun show. I rather like it. I haven't fired more than 40-60 rds through it so far, but if I was stuck in a state like CA I think there are few better options. It is pretty accurate within 100 yds. I've not shot it at anything further than that. It is very easy to field strip for cleaning and has a reputation for reliability that, based on its feel and the look of its primary parts, is warranted. I've not abused it to know first-hand, however. Cons: heavy, long trigger pull (on my example, I fired a Chinese one that had a better trigger), fairly bulky. Bottom line: I'm still happy I got it, and I suspect you'd be happy with one too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links