The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

This is a discussion on The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So for those who have personal experience with the SKS can you answer these questions. 1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle? 2. Reliability- How ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

So for those who have personal experience with the SKS can you answer these questions.

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle?

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session?

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems?

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo?

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS?

*Cost?
    1. decent but not to my standards
    2. reliable? Sure.....250rds+ at one range outting
    3. no accessories.....no need to waste money on an SKS (IMO)
    Get a real AK47 and you'll never think about an SKS again.
    In the elements? Just look at the action and you tell me. The Russians and Chinese? Well......you should ask them what they would prefer in the field and what they want to import to us.

2. Remove Ads

the only advantage the sks has over the ak if the ability to clear a jam on the open bolt being easier. i had one. it was fun, paratrooper model, folding stock. wish i never would have sold it.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    the only advantage the sks has over the ak if the ability to clear a jam on the open bolt being easier. i had one. it was fun, paratrooper model, folding stock. wish i never would have sold it.
    Those models were few and far between even on the debut to the American market. They were surprisingly accurate to 50yds. The SKS has no advantage over the AK IMO. Too short pull length for real people, magazine, etc............. Still a decent last ditch rifle to have, and I've seen quite a few recently on Armslist asking too much for a step child since what they really want is an AK. It is what it is I reckon.

yea don't remind me. i sold all my guns in my early 20's when i lived in a party house. that one, h&k usp stainles .45, and a winchester 500 with pachmayr pistol and slide grips. should have just taken them to my parents house, but i couldn't in good conscience leave them even locked up in that house with the kind of parties we used to have.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Paid $110.00 for one in '94
    Norinco.
    I have a scope w/see through mounts,and added a thicker rubber buttstock end for lenghtening it which worked out well. Took the 10rd. mag off, have a 30 rnd. metal mag that feeds rounds great, and also have two (5) rnd mags for a spare rifle in the deer woods. acuracy is somewhat worse than my marlin 30-30, tho acceptable
    I don't think I'd pay $250+ for one, especially when there are other options available.
    Fun to shoot, eats anything fed it as well.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I paid 90 bucks for my Yugo SKS.

The gun has been reliable, the firing pin was not. The Yugo models don't have springs on the firing pin which causes them to bend and either gives you a slam fire problem (full auto when you don't expect it) or simply will not fire at all. There is a guy in Bowie Texas that sells replacement firing pin kits with springs which solved the problem.

Accuracy is ok on the gun.

I pulled the bayonet and put a bipod on it. Scope mounts on the SKS suck basically because they are mounted to the top cover of the receiver which means every time you take the gun apart you have to re-zero the scope. The gun is a bit heavy but fun to shoot. I have run probably 6-700 rds through it in a weekend without cleaning it without any problems.

Would I buy another one at todays prices, probably not. The 336 as others have mentioned is a good alternative. I don't have any in 30-30, but have two 35 Rem, and a 32 Win Spec.

One other option if you are looking at ammo cost, it to find a lever gun in .357 or .44 mag if you are not going to be doing anything very long range. They would be appropriate out to 100-150 if you are an average shot and a bit farther if you are a good shot with good loads. I prefer to leave my lever guns with open sights.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I paid 90 bucks for my Yugo SKS.

The gun has been reliable, the firing pin was not. The Yugo models don't have springs on the firing pin which causes them to bend and either gives you a slam fire problem (full auto when you don't expect it) or simply will not fire at all. There is a guy in Bowie Texas that sells replacement firing pin kits with springs which solved the problem.

Accuracy is ok on the gun.

I pulled the bayonet and put a bipod on it. Scope mounts on the SKS suck basically because they are mounted to the top cover of the receiver which means every time you take the gun apart you have to re-zero the scope. The gun is a bit heavy but fun to shoot. I have run probably 6-700 rds through it in a weekend without cleaning it without any problems.

Would I buy another one at todays prices, probably not. The 336 as others have mentioned is a good alternative. I don't have any in 30-30, but have two 35 Rem, and a 32 Win Spec.

One other option if you are looking at ammo cost, it to find a lever gun in .357 or .44 mag if you are not going to be doing anything very long range. They would be appropriate out to 100-150 if you are an average shot and a bit farther if you are a good shot with good loads. I prefer to leave my lever guns with open sights.
    I've been looking at pistol caliber rifles also, I assume a lever gun fires as fast as you can work the action.

Kind of like a pump shotgun right?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    I assume a lever gun fires as fast as you can work the action.

Kind of like a pump shotgun right?
    kinda of but with the rifle you can almost keep your check weld and sights on target and work the lever. I think they are pretty fast! Like the pump shot gun they sound good working the lever. Note quite as good of a sound as the pump action makes but still nice. I am sure plenty of shooters can keep a site on target and run the action. I certainly can not.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    My location: California

I've been thinking about buying a SKS since they would cost less than an AK variant or an AR type rifle (M&P sport). There are kits out there that give you the ability to turn an SKS into a modern rifle complete with rails and all.

I also like the 7.62mm round over the .223/5.56.

So for those who have personal experience with the SKS can you answer these questions.

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle? open sights - 3"-4" off of a bench

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session? Very reliable - 300 in one session (all Wolf, all steel)

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems? Very windy/dusty in the eastern Colorado plains at times. No issues at all

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo? ZERO issues with Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown Bear

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS? I got rid of the small stock (made BY little people with little hands FOR little people with little hands) and put on a Tapco collapsible stock. I mounted a cheap 4x scope and removed it after a few shots and stuck with iron sights.

*Cost? Mine is a Yugo and my boys paid $125 for it in 2006. I thought about adding an external magazine, but all I read was it's real PITA to change the mag under stress. I've since added a Sig Classic 556. THAT'S the shooter!
    The internal magazine should keep you CA compliant. It's a good rifle for the money, reliable and will see you through a situation if you do your part.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Good info guys Will definitely help in decision making and should help others down the line.

Thanks.

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle? haven't reall shot it for accuracy.
    Minute of pie plate at 100 yards.

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session?
    I'd say close to 100.

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems?
    Hasn't been exposed but doubt it would affect it much at all.

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo?
    No

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS?
    No just put it in a Monte Carlo stock.

*Cost? Traded a AK74 for it.

Mine is a Chinese Nornica M model that accepts AK magazines. Makes for a good little rifle. But it is heavier than a AR.

A lot of good reviews above but don't worry about the California thing. I'm in Ca. and have never had a problem and neither will you unless you go walking down the streets of San Fransicko with it. There are millions of those things out here. I have 2 Russian models, completely stock which is the way that I like them. The only thing I don't care a whole lot about with them is the trigger which doesn't seem to help with pinpoint accuracy. Just seems a bit sticky, (hard to explain) up against say a Rem. 700, big difference. But then again, they weren't made for sniping. They are what they are and would probably be best used on targets within 200 yards. And with very little recoil the ability to send a whole load of lead downrange and in a fairly small area quickly was a by product of being built like the old cars used to be; solid and heavy duty.

A couple of things that I do really like about them is the fact that they are so stout and rugged. And I can get mine from slung over my shoulder to ready aimed and safety off in about a second or so, which I credit on helping me bag a wild hog one time when he surprised me from behind. All in all, I think they used to be well worth the $100 ea. that I paid for them. I've shot maybe 1,000 rounds through one of them and only one round, since new, through the other. (That's the one I killed the hog with. 1 shot, 1 kill and I "retired" it. Why I did that is another story.) But the thing always shoots so far with no problems using mostly steel case FMJ. I will give it that. My brother had one that slam-fired on him at the range once so as stated above, be cautious of that! In fact, chambering a round and letting the action fall into position results in slightly dinged primers from the firing pin at the least so be careful while chambering.

If you're looking for a nice rugged brush gun that can take a beating and has the cleaning kit already in it and is easy to strip down and put back together, then a SKS isn't a bad proposal. 7.62x39 is a pretty hard hitter and ammo is easy to find and cheap. It's not the praiseworthy AK-47 but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either of them.

As far as HD, I have other people that live in the same area code as I do so it's not on the list for defending against home invasions.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    I've had good luck with them, especially the Russian ones. I've seen some stellar Chinese ones but saw one that was so-so in the reliability department. Accuracy was combat acceptable, not a tack driver and not nearly as accurate as an AR. Never subjected mine to adverse environments but they are generally well made, well engineered and reliable.

Reloads with the stripper clips are preferable to the 30 rd mags that I have used. Apparently they made a trapdoor 20 rd but I have never seen one in the wild.
    I have tried 30 rd. mags. and the bolt/carrier always seems to "jump" over the mag. and locks! Then have to get a 'tool' and pry it back. ***?
    Build your own! http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/

Jetico.......BC Wipe

I couldn't believe the prices on the SKS at the recent gun show: $375 - $650!!!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Have a few of them , they are fun to shoot,cheap to own and not bad for hunting a shorter ranges.
    I would not compare it to any of my 30-39's that would not be fair.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links