The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons - Page 4

The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

This is a discussion on The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; have a few of them , they are fun to shoot,cheap to own and not bad for hunting a shorter ranges. I would not compare ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

have a few of them , they are fun to shoot,cheap to own and not bad for hunting a shorter ranges.
    I would not compare it to any of my 30-30's that would not be fair

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I used to own a Norinco SKS. It was $79, I think. It didn't shoot groups so much as patterned like a shotgun at 100 yards. The really crappy trigger didn't help, I'm sure. It was heavy, gritty and vague. Oh, and the sear didn't have a positive engagement, so you could easily slam fire it by rapping the stock on the ground. I put a longer stock on it, which made it more comfortable to shoot, but no more accurate. It never failed to feed, fire, extract or eject. That's about the best I can say about that particular rifle. I sold it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have been owning and shooting SKS rifles for going on 25 years and I own several.

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle?
    It is in my opinion more accurate than the Ak and certainly has adequate and acceptable combat accuracy

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session?

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems?

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo?

The SKS utilizes a short stroke gas piston system. Its a very reliable system and while a bit more involved to field strip and clean when compared to the AK its still a relatively simple design to maintain

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS?

I usually leave my milsurp rifles along and keep them as manufactured. No bubba work. I did rebuild a beat up Norinco I purchase several years ago and its been super reliable and the Tapco 20 round mags work flawlessly in this rifle.

*Cost?
    Back in the 80's I had a full 01 FFL dealer Lic. and purchased a crate of Chicom SKS's for $57 each rifle packed in heavy cosmoline.....wish I still had that crate.
    Last edited by pirate; July 26th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
    mano3 and atctimmy like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I bought a Chinese SKS when Norinco was importing them. I changed it to a Butler Creek composite stock, put a milled scope mount receiver on it with 4X scope. Never had any problems with it. The gun was accurate enough for hunting and due to the loose tolerances SKS and AK's are built to, the elements didn't effect it. All told I had about $150 in it, of course the gun only cost $90 back then.
    I recently picked up Norinco Chines SKS. Put a little less than 50 rounds through it, cleaned it up, and set it up. I don't have any practical use for it. It was more or less an impulse buy.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Well went to a gun store and looked at the few SKS they had in stock and I didn't stay longer than 15mins. Went in at 5:30 PST and was out around 5:45 due to the prices. They wanted around $595 for an SKS that has a scope plus bipod of course that's before taxes and the DROS etc. Another SKS cost around $400, so I started looking ar their guns in general and they were selling Guns like the M&P 9c for $564 before paper work.

I've seen M&P 9's regardless of size go for $30 less at other stores and over $100 less online. All their .22 rifles were going for over $400, and I didn't even look at the lever guns.

They are literally selling their guns at MSRP.

I walked out a bit disappointed because it would have been nice to get a rifle like an SKS and then go up from there. Oh well unless I find another place that sells SKS rifles, ill look at the AK and AR rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I usually leave my milsurp rifles along and keep them as manufactured. No bubba work. I did rebuild a beat up Norinco I purchase several years ago and its been super reliable and the Tapco 20 round mags work flawlessly in this rifle.

*Cost?
    Back in the 80's I had a full 01 FFL dealer Lic. and purchased a crate of Chicom SKS's for $57 each rifle packed in heavy cosmoline.....wish I still had that crate.
    That's a nice looking SKS.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Paid $110.00 for one in '94
    Norinco.
    $69.95 for a Russian with bayonet in '89.
    I realize many of you have never been there in so many ways.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    That's a nice looking SKS.
    Thanks, it functions and handles extremely well also. I have a lot of firearms so I have not really had the chance to have it out much in the last few years but I had a coworker who was thinking of doing a similar SKS project so I let him put 100 rounds through it a couple months ago and he was also impressed. We ended up shooting 200 rounds of Wolf and it ran 100 percent with the Tapco 20 round mags. We were hitting metal popper targets out to 200 yards with little effort with the red dot Millet sight. 7.62x 39 bullet drop does come into play past 150 yards but its easy to adjust with a bit of holdover. I have the optic mounted with a scout mount that replaces the rear sight leaf and its rock solid. The receiver cover style mounts and front hand guard rail mounts do not hold zero and move under recoil and are a waste of time and money.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Yes they are running between $250-300, I have also looked at AK variants and the AR, but I like the 7.62mm due to better stopping power over the .223/5.56.

The SKS would serve as a good battle rifle in a worst case scenario.
    just FYI there are a few manufactures that are making AR's in the 762x39 round just in case you didnít know wanted to give you a heads up

My location: California

I've been thinking about buying a SKS since they would cost less than an AK variant or an AR type rifle (M&P sport). There are kits out there that give you the ability to turn an SKS into a modern rifle complete with rails and all.

I also like the 7.62mm round over the .223/5.56.

So for those who have personal experience with the SKS can you answer these questions.

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle?

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session?

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems?

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo?

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS?

*Cost?
    1. I've taken deer at a tad over 300 yards. Wouldn't push it much further though.

2. A LOT. Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine how many rounds have been through that gun. Lots of dust, dirt, fouling, etc. Didn't get cleaned for about 12 years when it was my Dad's. Never missed a beat.

3. Folding synthetic stock.

I have no idea how much it cost. I know my Dad bought this thing years ago when you could get em super cheap.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    1. I've taken deer at a tad over 300 yards. Wouldn't push it much further though.
    Wow! What was your zero? What was the drop?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

This old one has been laying around here for 20 plus years. Wood cracked stuck a cheap folder that was around on it. Not much use folded up . Don't remember what it cost but it was real cheap.

I've owned several over the years. In fact still have one. Myself and my son have taken numerous deer with them. I have never had an issue with a failure to feed, eject, or fire EVER. Can't vouch for sand and dirt, but can vouch for firing it in sub-zero degree weather.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Wow! What was your zero? What was the drop?
    It was zeroed roughly 100-150 yards. Whatever distance it was from my porch to the target across the pasture. lol. I held just above the spine and hit pretty close to the bottom of the chest.
    atctimmy likes this.

Now you guys are making me want one again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links