The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons - Page 5

The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

This is a discussion on The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ComplexKaos Now you guys are making me want one again. Just hold out long enough for a decent deal and one will ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The SKS: Those who own/owned one: Pros/cons

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Now you guys are making me want one again.
    Just hold out long enough for a decent deal and one will come your way. I had all but given up, but then I stumbled upon a Yugo SKS that appeared almost unissued at a gun show for $275. The days of $90 Russian SKS rifles aren't coming back, but you can still do ok.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Just hold out long enough for a decent deal and one will come your way. I had all but given up, but then I stumbled upon a Yugo SKS that appeared almost unissued at a gun show for $275. The days of $90 Russian SKS rifles aren't coming back, but you can still do ok.
    There is a gun show in a city not far from my city and its 2 days, August 11-12th. I am hoping I they will have one there for that price or at $300 max.

There is a gun show in a city not far from my city and its 2 days, August 11-12th. I am hoping I they will have one there for that price or at $300 max.
    Good luck my friend. The SKS rifle is nice to have, hopefully you score a good deal on one. With the mil-surps, patience is key. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a Romanian I saw at a show late last year for $300. By most accounts it's as good as the Russian rifle. Oh well. Only took a visit to maybe 5 more shows to find another acceptable deal...

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911247 View Post
    I had one. Its a dumbed down AK. I sold it and bought a AK instead. same accuracy, same ammo, more comfortable to shoot.
    They really have very little in common actually other than being Russian designed weapons and both using the 7.62x39 round. The SKS has a conventional carbine layout, with a wooden stock and no pistol grip and uses a fixed magazine. The AK uses a long stroke gas piston system where the piston moves a long distance back into the receiver pushing the bolt carrier along. The SKS on the other hand uses a short stroke piston gas system with a spring-loaded operating rod and a gas piston rod that work the action via gas pressure pushing against them. The SKS is the more complicated system (more parts) but still relatively simple by semi-auto rifle standards. The SKS is inherently a bit more accurate than the AK but we are still talking 3-5" groups at 100 yards typically.

The SKS in the configuration shown here with the Tapco stock handles well, it is a bit heavier and less maneuverable than an AK but still makes a solid battle rifle and thus armed a well trained operator would be a formidable foe.

Last edited by pirate; July 28th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    mano3 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle?
    I can hit a paper plate rapid fire at 50yds all day. I have yet to try the drill at 100, but if it's all great at 50 I can't see why it would be bad a 100.

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session?
    Roughly 500rds of Wolf HP with no issues whatsoever.

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems?
    I haven't really used it in the elements, but the VC seemed to use it fine all those years ago under jungle conditions.

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo?
    None

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS?
    More stripper clips! I do need to get a good sling and I want to get a clip pouch for the stock.
    Stock pouch for SKS clips

*Cost?
    Roughly $400 for a stock Norinco about two years ago.
    I love my SKS. Right behind the AK it is the favorite fighting rifle in my safe. I wouldn't modify mine one bit accept to add a good sling and the stripper clip stock pouch I linked above.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

VIP Member
    Hey Pirate, who's that rough looking character in post #65? You better keep that guy off of your property. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hey Pirate, who's that rough looking character in post #65? You better keep that guy off of your property. : )
    He keeps dropping by with this "assault rifle" and asking where his wife Is? Weird.....
    atctimmy likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

My location: California
    1. Accuracy- How accurate is the rifle?

2. Reliability- How many rounds did you put through it in one session?

* When exposed to the elements (dust, sand, dirt, mud, etc) did you experience any problems?

* Any failure to feed with any kind of ammo?

3. Accessories: Did you customize your SKS?

*Cost?
    Accuracy of this caliber is as expected... great to 200 yards and it can wander a little further out. I highly suggest getting rid of the iron sights if you want better accuracy. Even the cheap red dot I have on mine now allows me to shoot a group smaller than a quarter at 50 yards. Iron sights were no where near that accurate. As far as reliability, I've never had a jam nor misfire. I've put thousands of rounds through my SKS (all manufacturers... I'm a bargain shopper) and i've been very pleased. I can't even count the number of hogs that I've killed. It makes a great pig gun since you can kill multiples before they run off.

I've done some minor modifications such as Dragunov stock, weaver receiver (tri-rail), muzzle brake (custom) and a cheap Walmart, no zoom red-dot scope. The "must have's" are the weaver mount and muzzle brake. Weaver mount of course so you can get away from the crappy stock iron sights and the muzzle brake to help with barrel rise (which is why I can kill multiple pigs now rather than just one or two).

All in all, I would like to have several of these in my "survivalist" arsenal. However, the 5.56/.223 Ruger Ranch Rifle I have will probably get the most attention as the survival weapon of choice. It's a matter of preference really but the .223 will be cheaper in the long run and the ammo more readily available if you have to scavenge during a "worst case scenario" event.

The gun show I will attend is on August 11th, so I will see what they have there.
    45ACP4ever likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links