Rifle for Home Defense?

Rifle for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on Rifle for Home Defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Howdy Everyone: Being a former Marine veteran I am very comforable shooting an AR- rifle and I am looking for a rifle that is no ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By txron

Thread: Rifle for Home Defense?

Rifle for Home Defense?

Howdy Everyone:
    Being a former Marine veteran I am very comforable shooting an AR- rifle and I am looking for a rifle that is no longer than 36 inches in lenght and has at least an 16 inch barrel!If you could recommend name a brand(that's reliable)
    rifle considering the fore-mentioned I would be thankfull
    for your wise advise!.

Time to grab a mug of coffee!

P.S. I will spend $$ for a reliable functioning rifle!
    Last edited by Sneaky; July 24th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Are you looking for an AR? I use a 10.5" AR for home defense and as a work rifle. With the right ammo, it's ideal for about any situation out to 200 yards, give or take, depending on ammo. I know a couple guys using lever action 30/30's as well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Same except the lever action. Wife has a shotgun on her side of the bed also.

Curious what folks think of a .22 LR like a 10/22. I know friends that like them for HD. (not much penetration and with a 30 rd magazine provides a lot of fire quickly)

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Are you looking for an AR? I use a 10.5" AR for home defense and as a work rifle. With the right ammo, it's ideal for about any situation out to 200 yards, give or take, depending on ammo. I know a couple guys using lever action 30/30's as well.
    Thank-you for your response!

To answer your question-I am looking for an AR rifle! My state under law requires an AR rifle to have a barrell leght of mininum of 18 inches! I am not rich but I will spend money for a rifle that is reliable in functioning while shooting!

VIP Member
    You could build one and put a 18" Krieger barrel on it. single point cut, nice and short but will shoot out a long way. You can put what ever you want on it. Flat top, or not, stock options, site options.
    I think in my state 18" barrel is min for the rifle requirement. They have AR pistols with 8.5 and 10 inch barrels but I would stick with the 18" as a min barrel length. Nice thing about the ar is you could build another upper for distance with a longer barrel.

I seldom think of rifles as best for home defense (in the home). They are just simply too long and unwieldy around doorways and hallways and such. Then there are also the ballistics to figure out. A pistol caliber carbine, AK47 with folding stock...etc might be some exceptions to my 'long gun' opinions. Collapsible stock AR15's are nice, but still long. Now you're thinking that a shotgun is a 'long gun' so what about that? Shot patter ballistics and round projectiles, generally shorter overall than rifles, and a bit easier to manipulate. Not wanting to incite any arguments, but that's just my take, and yes......I do practice my house clearing. I've lived in rural areas where I might select different options as opposed to living in an urban environment.
    Now......not sure about your 18" rule on the rifles. Basically the laws in most places are 16" barrel minimum OAL for rifles, and 18" OAL for shotguns. There are such things as AOWs and those, while expensive, are not actually class III weapons.
    How did we get 22LR in this thread? A 10/22? Hey....just like pistols......it's your own decision to use what you want. IMO......(and we've been down the road on the 22LR for HD before).........it may not have the immediate effect of incapacitation, and head shots pose the risk of a bullet coming back to you after it glances off the skull.....rips through the flesh, and orbits the cranium bone like a boomerang. 22LR in the eye, or larynx will probably do fine on the first shot. 22LR for home defense is good if that's all you have, but it's like writing on a postcard with a magic marker as opposed to a fine tip ball point pen. In the end, it's still up to you.
    Got into a conversation the other day with a co-worker. He had a Rottweiler kill two of his colts...when he tracked it down, he had a 40S&W pistol and took a head shot thinking it would end things.....it didn't.....just made the dog angry and come after him since the bullet bounced off the skull. After dumping another five rounds into the murdering canine instead of turning his back to run, he put it down and it was over.....then back to the house to change his underwear. I told him if there was ever a next time on this sort of ordeal, he needs to aim for the lower jaw or the breast if it presents itself. Plain and simple....know your tools, and how to use them effectively.....know your adversary and a small amounts of biology and anatomy, ballistics is a bonus.
    Hanging drywall? Screws or nails? Nails might be cheaper, but if you use a ball peen hammer, you're going to need plenty of mud and tape to fix all the divots. They do make drywall hammers specifically for nails in drywall. Save on the hardware? Save on the tools? Or save time and labor getting it right the first time. Same things apply for home defense IMO. No matter what, at least apply some learning and skills behind your decisions no matter what they are. This way you can be more effective with your tools.
    While we are on the subject of "HD or home defense"....I'd like to point out that while we are familiar with the term (or abbreviation 'HD')...in most states you are not legally allowed to protect your home or property...only defend yourself. I know it's been way too long to change the HD abbreviation or the thought about "home defense" and erase that from our minds since it's so widely used for it's meaning. But........it's self defense in the home to be technically correct.
    If I knew everything....I wouldn't be working to make a living, and I'd be charging a fee for advice.
    To the OP....ex-Marine myself.

I think one would have to be clumsy, untrained and live in a small home with narrow hallways to not find benefit in using a rifle.

OP, what state are you in that 18" is the barrel length limit? I thought it was 16" all around and 18" for shotguns? There is a minimum overall length for both, and side by side, I can't see how you'll get a shotgun shorter or more ergonomic, ESPECIALLY for a Marine that most likely spent the better part of a tour clearing structures.

Load it with 75gr TAP and you won't have much to worry about in terms of over penetration of effectiveness.

Here's a minimum length shotgun vs a minimum length AR (14.5" with pinned FH to make 16). Aside from the stock....

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

For the money it is hard to beat Bravo Company AR's. They make them in many configurations. I have built several AR's from parts that I purchased from BCM. DPMS makes nice AR's as well, they got their start making parts for the military. Some of the important things are magnetic particle inspection of critical areas and proper staking on the gas key.

Most Ar's are built to military specifications which means that each part must be within a certain tolerance limit. Very rarely do you have problems with stacking of tolerances, this means that several critical parts may be at the outside edge of spec, combined together and you have an assembly out of spec and an unreliable weapon. Which is why it is good to buy from a reputable company.

Give me a call some time Sneak and we can discuss AR's at length.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I think one would have to be clumsy, untrained and live in a small home with narrow hallways to not find benefit in using a rifle.

OP, what state are you in that 18" is the barrel length limit? I thought it was 16" all around and 18" for shotguns? There is a minimum overall length for both, and side by side, I can't see how you'll get a shotgun shorter or more ergonomic, ESPECIALLY for a Marine that most likely spent the better part of a tour clearing structures.

Load it with 75gr TAP and you won't have much to worry about in terms of over penetration of effectiveness.

Here's a minimum length shotgun vs a minimum length AR (14.5" with pinned FH to make 16). Aside from the stock....

My mistake-I called our local police dept. & you are right-its 16 inches for rifles and 18 inches for shotguns1
    Thank-you!

I guess my question is what kind of home defense? Inside or outside the home? If we are talking about stopping a roving street gangs then just about any reliable AR should be fine. For inside the home I think a handgun is a better choice. A good 18" barrel tactical shotgun with the right ammo will do both. The best yet, is to own and become proficient with all three.

I like the ARs as well, but everytime I think about a home defense rifle, the mini 14 looks real good. You can get the with a 16" barrel, they shoot the 5.66 round. VERY reliable. Not as accurate as an AR at longer ranges, but for home defense, you won't need to reach out to 300yrds. Saw one at Walmart for $667. Standard has a 18" barrel and the tactical comes with a 16" barrel. More rifle looking than the "dreaded black rifle".
    ctr likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Links