AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons - Page 2

AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons

This is a discussion on AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod IMO.....your choices thus far seem overpriced to me for what you want. With rail hand guards, BCG, flat top, sights, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IMO.....your choices thus far seem overpriced to me for what you want. With rail hand guards, BCG, flat top, sights, charging handle, chrome line bore, (complete upper). Maybe fine for the price. I wasn't interested in checking the links.
    Well I welcomed anyone to give me ideas on rifles, but no one could seem to come up with any for under $700 other than the ones I posted.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    I have been looking at that S&W as well. But for slightly more you can get a PSA, and slightly more than that you can get a Rock River, and then a Colt.
    Exactly
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have two upper for my AR, and my long distance setup is a 20" midweight barrel. I seriously considered a bull, but the midweight in this platfor is so close to the accuracy, 20" get almost all the performance burn in this platform, and scoped with a fairly large scope my package is still managable at 7.5 lbs, a 24" bull would turn this into a very difficult gun to shhot well from the shoulder, and might tighten my groups no more that an 1/8 inch at 100 yards. I love this PSA midweight 20", makes a nice gun. My combat upper is a 14.5" combat barrel at around 6 lbs with iron sights, it's the one I would back in SHTF. A well desinged flash hidder does reduce recoil a little, and barrel hop, so you can shoot a little faster with one, but does nothing for the scoped slow target shot. I do have a flash hidder on both of my uppers. There is also a good chance that my dual upper package cost less than the varmit gun you are loooking at. I am into my basic dual upper package at around a 1000, plus a few hundred in optics, and custom goodies.

I am with you and also currently shopping with a limit of $700. Trying to get the best quality, most features, highest reliablilty for that price. Was looking at a PSA (right at the limit) and Rock River (over the limit at 800-900) when a guy I work with said a friend of his has an unfired Colt and is asking $850. I will have to check that out. My limit seems to have a moving point of reference...

Hope the EAA traffic is not driving you crazy....

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Here look at this one. Move fast if you like it cause they'll be gone FAST.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!
    Out of price range by like $75

I have an at 15 with 24 inch bull barrel. I built it specifically for hogs and coyotes and other varmints. The barrel is heavy making the front end heavy. I have a Hubble telescope and made one coyote kill at over 450 yards.

If I am barricaded and defending myself it would be great but it isn't the quickest and easiest to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Here look at this one. Move fast if you like it cause they'll be gone FAST.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!
    That is a good price. Worth the extra $75 for the lined barrel and forward assist IMO. Burns-sell a couple items on Ebay and there is your extra $75. I got my finger on the purchase now button. Good find atctimmy!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Out of price range by like $75
    If $699 + fees is out of your price range the I'm sad to say you need to look for a different HD tool. You'll still need to buy mags, ammo and a rear sight for any of the guns you posted.

I either think you're being silly saying $75 more dollars is too much or that maybe an AR just isn't right for you at this time. Maybe a mini 14 is the right answer.

Ruger Mini 14 Tactical 223Rem 1 Mag NIB $15 Ship : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

They are very nice guns. They are built like a tank and would be very effective for HD.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Just purchased a wilson combat upper (complete) this after noon for $440 lowers can be found and built for around 250...you will still need mags, and sight can be found cheaper if you shop 90% of the lowers are all made in the same place with different manufactures stamp Capture.JPG
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Mags, ammo and sights can be taken care of later on, I'm not the one paying for the rifle, it's a gift.

On the PSA rifle you posted, what would the total be? Is the tax included online or no? How much would shipping be? How much is the transfer fee normally?

I think PSA is still doing free shipping, most of thiers are chrome lined, they make great products, and are very well respected, mose so than Rock River, which is good too, and that 699 PSA would just about cover the parts to build, so a very good price on a complete PSA AR. If the shipper is out of state there should be no tax, and it has to ship to a FFL and you have to pay that fee, and you should get that done for no more than 25, the one I use charges 10, but that is very rare. I would jump on that before that deal goes away, and call PSA and see if you can get that 20" CMV madness deal I got for 299 with free shipping, and then have the 1000 deal I have. They make great guns, and you should be very happy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Mags, ammo and sights can be taken care of later on, I'm not the one paying for the rifle, it's a gift.

On the PSA rifle you posted, what would the total be? Is the tax included online or no? How much would shipping be? How much is the transfer fee normally?
    Call and ask. Go to the link and then find the "contact us" info and call them. Do the leg work. I can tell you though that it is a great price on a good gun.

Also unless you are in the same state there is no tax for online sale. So you are looking at $699 for the gun + shipping + local FFL fee.

The local FFL fee you could pay yourself if you don't want to burden your GF with another $20 or $25.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I couldn't pass this by - Just ordered! Shipping to WI is $16.84 (I am close to Oshkosh). Local FFL holders vary on price. The guy I go through charges $20 for rifles and shotguns. You can go to Gunbroker and search your zip code for a list of FFLs with phone numbers and prices. Call one of them up and see if he will work with you. Thanks atctimmy.

The PSA Rifle is a great deal,In light of recent events I wouldn't hesitate to get an AR or AK asap,If Romney gets elected I have no doubt he will enact the same kind of gun laws that he did when he was governor of Massachusetts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just ordered it!!! :D Thanks timmy.
    atctimmy likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links