AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons

This is a discussion on AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering the pros and cons of a bull barrel on an AR-15....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AR-15 bull barrel pros/cons

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Just wondering the pros and cons of a bull barrel on an AR-15.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

sgb
    Great for long distance high round count shooting (think prairie dogs) due to stiffness and mass of the barrel. Heavy as holy heck if you have to hump it.
    atctimmy and Bad Bob like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I saw one in the store today within my price range. It was pretty heavy, but I don't really mind.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Pros? Usually a slower twist rate for heavier bullets (1 x 7) .....varmint hunting, heat, vibration, accuracy.
    Cons? Weight and length.
    Best thing about the AR15 platform is........(you might have guessed already)....changing upper assemblies. Different calibers and different profiles. Modular platform. Uppers are less expensive than the whole rifle, and you don't need to go through FFL for shipping or sales unless it's class III.

Would one with a bull barrel be a decent choice for just HD? I'm not really concerned about the weight, is there any reason not to buy one that has it?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Great for long distance high round count shooting (think prairie dogs) due to stiffness and mass of the barrel. Heavy as holy heck if you have to hump it.
    SGB nailed it. Bull barrels are HEAVY!

What is the intended use of the gun? A bull barrel on a fighting gun is heavy, slow and cumbersome. A bull barrel on a prairie dog rig that sits in a mechanical rest is the bee's knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I saw one in the store today within my price range. It was pretty heavy, but I don't really mind.
    You certainly would mind if you had to hump it. The AR is a very versatile platform and the standard weight 16 inch barrel is a darn good all around barrel.

I have a BCM DM gun that I built about a year ago and it shoots GREAT. Its the most accurate gun I own but it's also the heaviest. I keep thinking about selling it but then I feel guilty. It's just too nice to part with. It's just so specialized that it's not very practical for HD and I'm flat out of ground hogs.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    SGB nailed it. Bull barrels are HEAVY!

What is the intended use of the gun? A bull barrel on a fighting gun is heavy, slow and cumbersome. A bull barrel on a prairie dog rig that sits in a mechanical rest is the bee's knees.

You certainly would mind if you had to hump it. The AR is a very versatile platform and the standard weight 16 inch barrel is a darn good all around barrel.

I have a BCM DM gun that I built about a year ago and it shoots GREAT. Its the most accurate gun I own but it's also the heaviest. I keep thinking about selling it but then I feel guilty. It's just too nice to part with. It's just so specialized that it's not very practical for HD and I'm flat out of ground hogs.
    It is mainly for HD/SHTF, still not a good choice?

sgb
    For HD shorter/lighter is the was to go. The one on the left is a 16" carbine compared to it's 11.5" cousin.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The one that I'm looking at doesn't have any kind of flash hider, is there any logical reason I would want one?

And if I can't find a rifle with a normal barrel in my price with everything I want, would getting the DPMS with the bull barrel still be a decent choice? The more I look stuff up the more good things I hear about them, besides the weight.

The heavy barrel is also slower to move.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

ďMoral indignation is jealousy with a halo.Ē
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    No it isn't. Bull barrels are for long distance applications and would be slow and clumsy as a HD tool.

My HD AR has a 14.5 inch standard contour barrel (with a pinned A2X flash hider to save me $200).

Be patient. Find the right gun. If you buy the wrong one you'll just be shopping again in six months.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Here look at this one. Move fast if you like it cause they'll be gone FAST.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!

OK. It seems every single rifle I mention someone has a problem with haha. I have it narrowed down to 3 in the past month.

Doublestar

Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock 5.56 $669.00 SHIPS FREE

DPMS Oracle

DPMS Oracle Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 30+1 Cap $629.00 SHIPS FREE

S&W

S&W M&P-15 SPORT 5.56 16" 10+1 CA Compliant $649.00 SHIPS FREE

IMO.....your choices thus far seem overpriced to me for what you want. With rail hand guards, BCG, flat top, sights, charging handle, chrome line bore, (complete upper). Maybe fine for the price. I wasn't interested in checking the links.

OK. It seems every single rifle I mention someone has a problem with haha. I have it narrowed down to 3 in the past month.

Doublestar

Doublestar Star 15 M4 16" 6 Pos. Stock 5.56 $669.00 SHIPS FREE

DPMS Oracle

DPMS Oracle Semi-Automatic 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 30+1 Cap $629.00 SHIPS FREE

S&W

S&W M&P-15 SPORT 5.56 16" 10+1 CA Compliant $649.00 SHIPS FREE
    I have been looking at that S&W as well. But for slightly more you can get a PSA, and slightly more than that you can get a Rock River, and then a Colt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links