.357 Mag rifle suggestions

This is a discussion on .357 Mag rifle suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Smitty, I think it will be a while before I give that guy a run, but that was a good little tutorial. Thanks. I def ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .357 Mag rifle suggestions

Smitty, I think it will be a while before I give that guy a run, but that was a good little tutorial. Thanks. I def plan on getting a .357 magnum rifle, just seems the price is right on the 336, and from the accounts so far, seems like a good one to add to the collection.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

I predict you'll enjoy it. Ammo isn't super cheap, but it's cheaper than the big-boy .308 and '06 stuff, and it seems to go on sale often enough. Whenever I see it at Bass Pro or Sportsman's Warehouse for a couple bucks off, I grab a box or two. I'm just starting to reload rifle calibers now, and once I get a good diet for the Garand I'll start working on the .30-30. Even jacketed bullets are cheap enough to bring the price down to about 30 cents a round, less than half the cost of factory stuff. My point being I expect to shoot this fun gun a lot more!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I do love that Timberwolf - too bad they're so rare they're expensive!
    I think I got kind of lucky. I had a Warn winch that a guy really liked and we made the trade. Here's mine, under my grandpa's old M94 32 Win. Spl. and they stack up pretty close in size. Overall is only 37".

Yikes, maybe I should start making my pics a little smaller.
    Last edited by mprp; July 27th, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Pic smaller now. That's better
    gasmitty likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Good looking set mprp! Timberwolf a pump not lever? Never seen one. Saw it mentioned in another thread, may have been you!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yeah it's a 10 shot pump. Very fun. I'm trying to get my pic to be a little smaller here. Working on it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I think I got kind of lucky. I had a Warn winch that a guy really liked and we made the trade. Here's mine, under my grandpa's old M94 32 Win. Spl. and they stack up pretty close in size. Overall is only 37".

Yikes, maybe I should start making my pics a little smaller.
    Nice.
    I especially like the "original" scout rifle.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have been using a Marlin 357 1894 with a 4x Scope for deer hunting for the last 3 years and 3 for 3 for deer at 20 to 60 yards. Great gun for hunting or general shooting that feels great in your hand.

I would not feel under gunned with a 1894 and my Smith 66 both in 357.
    mprp likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I love my Marlin 336! At that price, jump on it! A 170 gr .30-30 will turn most cover into concealment real fast...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30, pre-1964. I am looking at a .357 lever gun for kicks and for a few extra rounds capacity. I am looking for a Marlin for the side-ejection, which is not really a big issue unless you plan on a scope. Price seems pretty good to me and I look every time I go to the LGS. The Winchester top eject is easier to feed n the run, if that matters. 30-30 is not the cheapest but it's not the most expensive, and is easy to find. Worth a look if you are thinking defensive at all is Fighting Lever & Bolt Actions.

Think I am going to try and start the process (darn waiting period) on the 10th. Emailed the manager and he said If they didnt have one in store he could get it from another store. Supply was my main concern so hopefully it works out! Thanks for all the continued suggestions! Any ideal weights for the 30-30? It will be for fun unless I ever need it and figure anything tested and proven again and again on deer should be successful on zombies if ever needed.
    BigJon

You're pretty much limited to 150 and 170 grain with conventional factory ammo, and practically speaking there's not a huge difference downrange. For general use (including SHTF or "urban assault weapon" use) I'd lean toward the 150s for no other reason than a slightly flatter trajectory. No price difference between the two unless you reload. Try the "big 3" brands (Rem, Fed, Win) and see if one shoots better than the others in your gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Check out Hornady's Leverevolution ammo it should add distance and flatten the trajectory
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Check out Hornady's Leverevolution ammo it should add distance and flatten the trajectory
    Just don't leave them loaded in the mag tube for extended periods of time. The tip can deform and throw the trajectory off.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Tried them. Decided they are not for me. I like the Federal offering myself. Shoots well. Does not kick as much.

I have a 6 inch Colt Python and a Rossi Mares Leg (AKA Ranch Rifle) in .357 Magnum. Love both and have a belt rig for the "Mares Leg". I longed for that gun as a kid and built a wooden one on my Gig Saw complete with a wood and metal holster assembly. I also have many sets of Have Gun Will Travel Business Cards that are on one side of my luggage tags when travelling and most TSA agents haven't got a clue as to what it is..... Also in the mix of Tags are the "Man From U.N.C.L.E" cards done the same way. Ah, the times they go flying by with the memories....
    Sky Pilot and Goldy49 like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links