.357 Mag rifle suggestions

This is a discussion on .357 Mag rifle suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Cory1022 I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30, pre-1964. I am looking at a .357 lever gun for kicks and for a ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .357 Mag rifle suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30, pre-1964. I am looking at a .357 lever gun for kicks and for a few extra rounds capacity. I am looking for a Marlin for the side-ejection, which is not really a big issue unless you plan on a scope. Price seems pretty good to me and I look every time I go to the LGS. The Winchester top eject is easier to feed n the run, if that matters. 30-30 is not the cheapest but it's not the most expensive, and is easy to find. Worth a look if you are thinking defensive at all is Fighting Lever & Bolt Actions.
    I have read about some quality control issues since Remington bought out Marlin and moved production. Do some research, I take online stuff with a grain of salt as the ten people with a gripe will put it on the internet but the thousand satisfied customers usually don't.

I run 150 grain with mine, Winchester Power Points, not into the bullet flavor of the month. I might look at 170 if I was going deep into the woods full of angry furry creatures.

2. Remove Ads

Get a lever big bore :)
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Went to bass yesterday to get the 336W. There were, of course, what seemed like a million people. Got up to talk to a guy at the counter and they were out of stock. Having emailed the manager before I told him that I was told they could get one from another store if they were out. Mentioned that to him and he checked other stores. There were -17 (negative 17) in the area...

Almost losing hope I asked about the possibility of a rain check as the manager had assured me they could get me one. If the potential savings weren't so significant I probably would have just left. The employee said they had a limited # of rainchecks that they could do, and I could get one. So he did the paperwork and rang me up. For the Marlin 336W, a box of 150 gr Federal a box of 170 gr federal and a box of Hornady leverevolution 150 gr I believe, total cost $371.xx As the gun was not in stock I will still need to pay the paperwork fee, around $25 when they finally get one in stock, but figure with the savings it will be worth the wait. Keep you all posted as to when it comes in. I am happy with that price and it will keep me happy for a while, but I want the gun I already paid for! As if the waiting period wasn't enough of a pain.

In the meantime I will start focusing on another handgun. Maybe I will get em both around the same time. Thanks for all the input and opinions. Now that I have that one taken care of, mostly, I need to start looking at all the other guns you guys suggested!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Had a Marlin .30-30 and traded it off years ago.
    At least twelve times a year I will stand in the back yard with one hand on a fence post to keep my balance while kicking myself.
    Recommend if you haven't been to a Cowboy Action shoot, that you go.
    You'll get an idea what the lever rifle in .357 can do, in terms of speed and accuracy.
    You'll also get to see Henry, Winchester, Remington (the new Marlin), Rossi, original Marlin, et. al. actually in use.
    You'll find Cowboy Action shooters are a friendly bunch and welcome visitors and are more than happy to talk.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

the bottom line, if you owned a .357 as well as a 30-30 Marlin lever action..... you would never sell either one. The .357 is great, and common ammo use is a great advantage. More velocity and accuracy out of a rifle than a handgun. The longer the barrel, the better. But, the 30-30 has more power if you want to down a larger animal, etc. A 30-30 round will penetrate level II body armour, whereas a .357 wouldn't.

Advantage of Marlin over Winchester is :
    1. Marlin is a side eject vs upper eject, which allows easier mounting of a scope if you want one.
    2. Marlin has fewer moving parts to fail than a Winchester, and easier to work on if ever needed.

Around here, most 30-30 Winchesters sell for around $400 or just under that.

My favorite is a Marlin 1894 Cowboy 24" octagon barrel .357.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I had a Marlin 357 and my wife claimed it. Now I am stuck with my Marlin 1894P 44 mag.....

You will love your 30-30.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The combination of a .357 lever action and a .38 or .357 revolver is hard to argue with. Unless your trying to fend of a gaggle of uzi wielding assassin death ninjas then you have enough firepower to handle just about anything. Well, anything actually survivable at least...
    Yeah it's tough to argue with, that is why I carry that much capacity in one magazine for my pistol. For uber gaggles I have a 30 rounder in my AR or AK...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well much to my surprise while working a message was left on my voicemail that it is in and so tomorrow I will start the paperwork and wait...can't wait! The model is a 336W. From what I have read on the interwebz it is a lesser quality of walnut stock, but nothing unique other than that. Any of you have a good idea on the W model? Will look at the .357 rifles tomorrow while I'm in there.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    I believe that the only difference with the 336W is that it has a birch stock that is stained walnut. It is similar to the rifles that Marlin made for Sears and JCPenny and was sold under the stores name.

Great that you will get to pick it up tomorrow, give us a range report when you can.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I love my Marlin 1894c in .357. Paired up with my Ruger Police Service Six or SP101, and it's a really nice feral hog combo. Shoots .38s too. Carry some speed strips in your pocket and you can peel the rounds right in the side loading port.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I was just checking it out online. That's a sweet little rifle. I think you're going to love it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Advantage of Marlin over Winchester is :
    1. Marlin is a side eject vs upper eject, which allows easier mounting of a scope if you want one.
    2. Marlin has fewer moving parts to fail than a Winchester, and easier to work on if ever needed.
    I love Winchester lever guns, but like Eagle said, if you want to run a scope, the Marlin is the way to go.

You all are not making this any easier! Can't wait to see it, as I have to wait 10 days to actually get it. Just happy the wait for it to get in stock was short. Also read that the Marlin is considerably easier than the Win to take down, any truth to that? Think that someone may have mentioned it already, one button vs gunsmith trip. You guys recommend scoping a plinking gun that will be called upon for the zombies if need be?
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You all are not making this any easier! Can't wait to see it, as I have to wait 10 days to actually get it. Just happy the wait for it to get in stock was short. Also read that the Marlin is considerably easier than the Win to take down, any truth to that? Think that someone may have mentioned it already, one button vs gunsmith trip. You guys recommend scoping a plinking gun that will be called upon for the zombies if need be?
    That's why those of us here in California BigJon10125, have to buy a gun 10 days before we actually want it.

As far as putting a scope on, Google - "see through scope mounts marlin 336." Puts the scope up a little higher but gives you the option of using scope or iron sights. Just a thought.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I love Winchester lever guns, but like Eagle said, if you want to run a scope, the Marlin is the way to go.
    Or a post-1982 Winchester with Angle Eject, the AEs work fine with scopes.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links