.357 Mag rifle suggestions - Page 4

.357 Mag rifle suggestions

This is a discussion on .357 Mag rifle suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD* Or a post-1982 Winchester with Angle Eject, the AEs work fine with scopes. I'll have to take your word on it. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .357 Mag rifle suggestions

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Or a post-1982 Winchester with Angle Eject, the AEs work fine with scopes.
    I'll have to take your word on it. Mine is a pre-'64 model inherited from my father-in-law.

Saw one of those online today mprp, ill look into it. Just never shot a rifle for accuracy yet. Seems 100yds is a good distance to 0 it in. From all accounts useful and practical at that range and can go up from there.

As far as buying guns 10 days before I want em that ship sailed years ago as I want almost all of them!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    I'll have to take your word on it. Mine is a pre-'64 model inherited from my father-in-law.
    Yeah I've never drilled & tapped my pre-64s.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I did, wish I had that to do over. In my defense, it was 1989 an I had 'advice' from someone else.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    I did, wish I had that to do over. In my defense, it was 1989 an I had 'advice' from someone else.
    Oh man.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member
    Mine isn't either, but I can tell you that the brass flies nearly straight up, so a scope would be...problematic.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Mine isn't either, but I can tell you that the brass flies nearly straight up, so a scope would be...problematic.
    Right, that's why I mentioned the AEs, I have several pre-64s, I wouldn't bother to D&T, I know where the brass goes.

I really like my .357 combination guns. A Ruger Vaquero, a Winchester '94, and a Rossi Mare's Leg - all in .357. I have Cowboy shot with the first two. I have backpacked this summer with the Vaquero and the Mare's Leg. I have hunted small game with the '94. It is really hard to go wrong with matching weapons in .357. The options offered are many and all enjoyable.

Lever Action .357

I'm a new guy here and have learned so much already. My background is cowboy shooting so I have some experience with lever actions.

First, the .357 is a great gun. You'll shoot it plenty and never part with it. Marlin's are the gold standard. They seem to feed everything, but make sure you keep the screws tight (locktite the screws) and learn how do undo the dreaded "marlin jam".

Winchesters can sometimes be unreliable. Hardly anyone shoots them in cowboy shooting. The action seems to be designed for rifle cartridges and shorter ammo, especially .38's can give heartburn. Having said that, some people have had great success. Your mileage will vary.

A Rossi on the 92 frame is a great gun. Some however do not like the short .38. I have one that liked .357 and would jam on every 3-4 .38. This can usually be fixed by a good gunsmith. Steve's Gunz is really well known for tuning 92's.

I have both a Rossi trapper and a Marlin .357. Never parting with either.

Warren

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links