JLD PTR-91 - Optics?

This is a discussion on JLD PTR-91 - Optics? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Guys, I've had a .308 PTR-91 for about a year now. It was a B-day from my Dad. I don't know much about optics ...

Thread: JLD PTR-91 - Optics?

JLD PTR-91 - Optics?

Hi Guys,

I've had a .308 PTR-91 for about a year now. It was a B-day from my Dad. I don't know much about optics [hunting with a rifle is illegal in MA].

I'm looking for a recommendation on a nice scope (not a piece of junk, but not the most expensive system in the world). I think I need the JLD claw mounts as well.

Pretty much what I'm looking for is somthing that will produce really tight groups at 200yards (the end of my range). Considering I'm on the paper with the iron sights, I don't think this is asking too much

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Never heard of anything labled the way you stated....BUT.... if this weapon is a G3/HK91 type of clone then yes you will have to obtain a claw lock mount. Check out Sportsmens Guide,CDNN,TAPCO,Cheaper Than Dirt,and several of the other big military weapon parts houses. My older HK91 wears a origional HK mount that I bought with the weapon back when they was cheap. Prepare to pay more for the mount than you will a scope. A plus for this system is it is a TRUE return to zero mount.

If the weapon is a autoloader .308,the scope will take a pounding so stick with the Leuplod,B&L,Nikon,(medium priced) brands. Most all my scopes are Leupold.

For 200yds. I would be satisfied with a 2x7 or a 3x9 by 33 or 50. At least 44. This,for the lower light shots.

Lap the rings and use LockTite where applicable.

Let us know how she turns out. -------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Never heard of anything labled the way you stated....BUT.... if this weapon is a G3/HK91 type of clone then yes you will have to obtain a claw lock mount. Check out Sportsmens Guide,CDNN,TAPCO,Cheaper Than Dirt,and several of the other big military weapon parts houses. My older HK91 wears a origional HK mount that I bought with the weapon back when they was cheap. Prepare to pay more for the mount than you will a scope. A plus for this system is it is a TRUE return to zero mount.

If the weapon is a autoloader .308,the scope will take a pounding so stick with the Leuplod,B&L,Nikon,(medium priced) brands. Most all my scopes are Leupold.

For 200yds. I would be satisfied with a 2x7 or a 3x9 by 33 or 50. At least 44. This,for the lower light shots.

Lap the rings and use LockTite where applicable.

Let us know how she turns out. -------
    Thanks and yup it's a G3 clone.
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/jld.html
    http://www.jldenter.com/store/

I'll post some pics at the end of the week when I'm off work.

Swan ARMS mount- the others are "iffy". After that, whatever you want that you can afford. I like Burris, and have a 1.5-6x26 electrodot (Signature line)on my Steyr Tactical that is more than adequate within 200 yards.

It is still a battle-rifle, so I wouldn't hold my breath for sub-MOA groups.....but you might get them. Like RSSZ, for the "urban jungle", I would be looking at fixed 2-4x, or a brand-name variable, in the same range. If you get a 1" tube, polymer downsizer inserts are available for the ARMS rings, and will take some of the punishment

Don't go the clone claw mount - I've had nothing but bad experiences with the Tapco etc. mounts.

The only viable alternative I've seen and used to the HK claw is the B&T low-profile mount. Yes, I tried a clone of it first - it got a nice cheek weld compared to the claw monster, but the clone didn't hold up to the stress put on it and quickly deformed and was no longer useful. At $110ish, the B&T mount kicks ass as well (available from DSA) there - it survives the recoil generated by my HK51 clone.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Links