Barnes 5.56x45 77gr TSX for deer hunting?

This is a discussion on Barnes 5.56x45 77gr TSX for deer hunting? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Advertised as a "good deer and antelope round" on some websites. Seems to like a 77gr bullet isn't quite heavy enough to humanely and quickly ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: Barnes 5.56x45 77gr TSX for deer hunting?

Barnes 5.56x45 77gr TSX for deer hunting?

Advertised as a "good deer and antelope round" on some websites. Seems to like a 77gr bullet isn't quite heavy enough to humanely and quickly drop a deer?
    What do you guys say?

2. Remove Ads

It's the 70gr TSX and as much as I hate using the term, it's a game changer for hunting. Where I used to stick to 5.56 for 150 yards and closer on hogs weighing under 200 pounds, I'm now confident that I can drop 300 to 350 pound hogs at 200 yards with this round. I would have no concern using it on deer within 200 yards as well.

This bullet will plow right through the shoulder and other bone, open to about .5" and penetrate a good 15", give or take. As long as you do your part with shot placement, the bullet will do the rest. Now, this might be hard for some to understand, but even the Black Hills 50gr TSX is an awesome hunting round, though I prefer the 70gr. With barrier blind loads like these, you don't rely on mass like you do an OTM. It's really good stuff, give it a try.
    sgb likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Not legal in Washington state...Im carrying Barnes bullets in everything I own...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Not legal in Washington state...Im carrying Barnes bullets in everything I own...
    In those states that require greater than 22 diameter the 6.8 grendel would work,In Ks I hunted deer with a 7.62x39 upper and IIRC 122 grn SP,dropped them like a rock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Barnes bullets are constructed in such a way that they are generally light for caliber (or long for weight) because copper is lighter than lead. So they either need to be the same length (as a lead bullet) and lighter or the same weight (as a lead bullet) and longer. Sometimes the added length of Barnes bullets can act goofy with faster twist rates and they don't shoot well. Sometimes they shoot really well.

Now to tie this all in: A 70 grain TSX is roughly equal to a 80 or 85 grain lead bullet in it's ability to penetrate. The TSX will hold up and drive deep enough to kill a deer if you hit it correctly.

From an ethical standpoint it would come down to the skill of the shooter and their shot selection.

From an opinion standpoint they are not for me. I prefer a round with a little more punch. I like having the option of raking a deer available to me if I absolutely need it. After all hunting is tough enough as it is. Why complicate things by using the absolute bare minimum round? What if your deer never gives you a perfect broadside shot?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I should have added that as well. For hogs, I don't care, but for deer and other medium to large game, I prefer a 308.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

FYI, u will need a 1/7, 1/8 twist to use these....

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In those states that require greater than 22 diameter the 6.8 grendel would work,In Ks I hunted deer with a 7.62x39 upper and IIRC 122 grn SP,dropped them like a rock
    6.5 Grendel or 6.8spc ?

grendel20070111.jpg
    atctimmy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Links