Looking for some suggestions

This is a discussion on Looking for some suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Penhall Is Rock River on the same level as Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc? It's been recommended by some folks, but wasn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Looking for some suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Penhall View Post
    Is Rock River on the same level as Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc? It's been recommended by some folks, but wasn't on the list of brands to consider that jonconsiglio provided me about 8 months ago.
    It is not as durable. If you're looking for a good hunting setup or just a plinker, Rock River is fine. If you think you may abuse it, the latter 3 will hold up to it much better.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

Check out the PSA AR15 with Patrol Rifle Optic. It's a good deal in my opinion.
    SCGunLover1

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I think I've finally decided to buy a BCM upper and lower and assemble the gun myself. Since this is my first AR, I would be very grateful if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at what I'm planning to purchase and letting me know if I'm missing anything as well as giving me any final suggestions.

Upper, Bolt carrier group, and Charging handle from Bravocompanyusa.com:
    BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Centurion Arms C4 12" Handguard
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
    BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch

Lower with upgrades from G&R Tactical.com:
    BCM Lower with a Magpul MOE Grip, the Geissele SSA trigger, and the Noveske QD Receiver Plate.

I'll be purchasing a stock, BUIS, extra PMags, and some other furniture as well. I'll also be adding an Aimpoint red dot of some sort and light. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions on the Aimpoint and light? What type of mounts will I need for those? Thanks in advance for the answers/suggestions.
    zacii likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I think I've finally decided to buy a BCM upper and lower and assemble the gun myself. Since this is my first AR, I would be very grateful if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at what I'm planning to purchase and letting me know if I'm missing anything as well as giving me any final suggestions.

Upper, Bolt carrier group, and Charging handle from Bravocompanyusa.com:
    BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Centurion Arms C4 12" Handguard
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
    BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch

Lower with upgrades from G&R Tactical.com:
    BCM Lower with a Magpul MOE Grip, the Geissele SSA trigger, and the Noveske QD Receiver Plate.

I'll be purchasing a stock, BUIS, extra PMags, and some other furniture as well. I'll also be adding an Aimpoint red dot of some sort and light. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions on the Aimpoint and light? What type of mounts will I need for those? Thanks in advance for the answers/suggestions.
    It looks great! I think you'll really like the Gunfighter latch.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Can someone help me understand the difference between the Troy Micro sights vs. the standard Troy battle sights? I know that the Micro's sit lower, but is that better or worse for a standard AR set up?

sgb
    Can someone help me understand the difference between the Troy Micro sights vs. the standard Troy battle sights? I know that the Micro's sit lower, but is that better or worse for a standard AR set up?
    The Micro gives you more clearance to use lower mounting optics.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

"For shooters who favor a sightline that's as close to the barrel as possible, or for those with raised top rail systems, the Troy Micro Battlesight provides an ideal solution." - Straight from their catalog. "Raised top rail systems" refers to the FN Scar, XCR, Sig Sauer 556, etc. Since most optics are set up for standard AR flat tops it may effect its ability to co-witness.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

If money isn't an issue for you, go with any of the quality suggestions offered here and you'll probably be happy. I've got a host of similar ARs and honestly, for the money and for what I use it for (range and private property plinking), I can't really beat the M&P15 sport that I bought. It was only $650. That left me plenty of money for mods and add-ons. And I still had a lot left over for a couple thousand rounds.

I'm pretty excited about the slim possibility of a zombie apocalypse, and if it happens, I'm quite confident that my $650 sport will perform just as well as any of the other, significantly more expensive rifles in the safe. I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through it, and with a couple attachments, and a good optic, I really don't need anything better.

Just my 2 cents. I'd rather buy a decent rifle, some attachments and ammo, and still have enough for an extra sidearm.
    SATCHMO1960 likes this.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Thanks, Eichorn. The explanation about what constitutes a raised AR rail was helpful. I'm assuming that I want my BUIS to co-witness with my red-dot in case it should fail?

VIP Member
    Thanks, Eichorn. The explanation about what constitutes a raised AR rail was helpful. I'm assuming that I want my BUIS to co-witness with my red-dot in case it should fail?
    Most people prefer a lower 1/3 cowitness. Some like absolute cowitness. I think it's about 72/25 on the two schools of thought.
    zacii likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Your AR will be similar to mine

I kept the stock trigger, and didn't get the QD plate, either.

I haven't had any first hand experience with a RDS, yet, but my research makes me lean towards an Aimpoint PRO.

Here is a video that's actually a Daniel Defense torture video, but the Aimpoint takes all the same abuse:

Another thing to consider, if you haven't already, is if you think that you might want to run a scope, magnifier, or similar optic; you may want to consider a flip-up rear sight as they may extend rearward over it. If you're just gonna stick with a RDS, then a fixed rear sight would do the job.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Sadpanda.jpg

What's missing from this photo? Don't you hate it when your parts get here before your gun?

I placed the order on Thursday for the following:
    BCM 16 Mid-Length Rifle w/ Magpul MOE ( OD Green) and Geissele SSA Trigger This should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday from G&R Tactical.
    I ordered the Aimpoint PRO from LaRue on Thursday morning, and it was on my doorstep on Friday along with half a box of swag (hat, dry rub, dillo beverage opener, and bumper stickers). I ordered the other stuff from Cheaperthandirt.com on Thursday morning and it was all my doorstep by Friday afternoon as well. All in all, I'm pretty impressed with those three companies so far.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions when I start putting things together next week. Thanks for all the advice thus far.
    Attached Images
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    I would go wuth the Colt or DD.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links