Looking for some suggestions

This is a discussion on Looking for some suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've finally gotten the money set aside for my first AR. I've received some good pointers from forum members, either via PM or from just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Looking for some suggestions

Looking for some suggestions

I've finally gotten the money set aside for my first AR. I've received some good pointers from forum members, either via PM or from just reading some of the different threads, but I'm looking for a last blast of info before I finally pull the trigger.

What I'm looking for: A quality 16" rifle that I can use for home defense, range shooting, small game hunting, and TEOTWAWKI.
    How I'll use it: Based on how often I shoot my handguns, I expect to shoot about once a month for 100-200 rounds.
    Budget: between $2000 and $3000 for the gun, flip-up irons, a red dot (I like the Aimpoint PRO), mags, and some basic training to get started.

Some of the brands that I have considered are Sig, BCM, Daniel Defense, and LaRue. Also, I'm not sure if I'm better off shopping for a complete "out-of-the-box" gun or if I should buy the parts and assemble it myself. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.

2. Remove Ads

Paging jonconsiglio paging jonconsiglio. Actually I'm pretty sure he'd say bcm of daniel defense but don't quote me.
    Brad426 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm not an expert but I have two BCMs and they are very, very nice. I'd hype them up for you but I don't run them very hard like the pros do. I also have an M&P 15 and I like it as well but the specs are not as good as on the BCMs.

As far as ARs go the mainstay is Colt. Look at the Colt 6920 in addition to the other makers you have mentioned. A top notch AR can be had for around 1000 to 1200 dollars. That would leave you plenty of $$$ for add ons, mags, ammo and a nice optic.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As far as ARs go the mainstay is Colt. Look at the Colt 6920 in addition to the other makers you have mentioned. A top notch AR can be had for around 1000 to 1200 dollars. That would leave you plenty of $$$ for add ons, mags, ammo and a nice optic.
    ^^^

From what I heard Colt is "top of the line". Timmy and Jon both know what they're talking about, I'm sure Jon will be here shortly.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I'd get the Colt 6920 and not look back.

I'm glad you put training on your shopping list. Get some familiarity with the gun and lots of rounds downrange, then look for a carbine course. I highly recommend PAt Rogers of EAG Tactical, and Texas is usually on his list of training venues each year.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Price check for ya. The second Colt in FDE looks SCHWEET! I'd be all over that if I was buying.

Colt LE 6920 at G and R Tactical

Colt LE 6920MP M4 16 Magpul MOE at G and R Tactical

BCM 16 Mid-Length Rifle at G and R Tactical
    DPro.40 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Thanks for the suggestions. A lot of my initial info came from jonconsiglio via pms, but based on his sig, he's busy with other stuff these days, so I'm reaching out. That Colt LE 6920MP M4 16 Magpul MOE at G and R Tactical looks sweet, Timmy, and I like the fact that I can customize some of the parts via G&R's ordering system. That being said, I know that one of my local gun shops has a Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, V5 in stock for $1,675. While I like the FDE coloring of the Colt, I like the flat top of the DD v5. I'm open to more suggestions, though. Keep them coming.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Penhall View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. A lot of my initial info came from jonconsiglio via pms, but based on his sig, he's busy with other stuff these days, so I'm reaching out. That Colt LE 6920MP M4 16 Magpul MOE at G and R Tactical looks sweet, Timmy, and I like the fact that I can customize some of the parts via G&R's ordering system. That being said, I know that one of my local gun shops has a Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, V5 in stock for $1,675. While I like the FDE coloring of the Colt, I like the flat top of the DD v5. I'm open to more suggestions, though. Keep them coming.
    I'm not going to bash DD. They make a good product (or so I've heard) but $1675 is really pricey when other great makers are around $1000.

To be fair and honest I did the same thing as you a couple years ago and I got 90% of my info from Jon. He really knows his stuff. I'll get back to you with some other flat top guns for less money.

ETA: OK I started with a BCM lower. for around $400 depending on your add ons.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...on&key=LWR-BCM

Now an upper or two from BCM. There are other great companies out there but I'm more familiar with BCM and their website.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...it12%20fde.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...-mi-ssg212.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...2x%20mit10.htm

Anyone have any experience with pistons over DI? I was thinking about Sig Sauer 516 Patrol rifle.

VIP Member
    Anyone have any experience with pistons over DI? I was thinking about Sig Sauer 516 Patrol rifle.
    Read this:

Gas vs. Piston

I would definitely get the Dodge Viper. Wait I didn't read the question, AR? No clue, we only have neutered versions out here, sorry.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for that, Timmy. Based on that read, I think I'll stick to a DI for my first gun. Now if I could just figure out what that's going to be.

VIP Member
    Thanks for that, Timmy. Based on that read, I think I'll stick to a DI for my first gun. Now if I could just figure out what that's going to be.
    You're welcome.

Is Rock River on the same level as Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc? It's been recommended by some folks, but wasn't on the list of brands to consider that jonconsiglio provided me about 8 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links