mosin nagant at fleet farm 99.99$ - Page 3

mosin nagant at fleet farm 99.99$

This is a discussion on mosin nagant at fleet farm 99.99$ within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hey i'm joe k too.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: mosin nagant at fleet farm 99.99$

hey i'm joe k too....
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I have one. Well worth the money.

Mine is an ex-sniper and is super accurate. It's also very loud and makes quite the shockwave when fired. That plus cheap ammo make it a thrill to shoot, but I won't lie...it's hard to shoot more than a couple boxes in a range session without wearing some form of shoulder padding. As evidenced by the solid steel butt plate, the Soviets felt recoil protection was for ninnies. Either that or they were just too hyped up on spirits to care.

I have taken mine hunting before in original milsurp condition with iron sights and soft tip bullets and it has brought home a bambi.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member
    I have one too. It is a 1942 91/30 which is in very good condition. The bore is not pitted, not counter bored and is clean. I make sure to run a wet (water) patch or two down it after getting home from shooting to remove the corrosive salts that are left by the corrosive primers in the ammo I'm using. One thing, I always come home with a big bruise from shooting it. What I need to do is shorten it up a little and put a recoil pad on it as the pull is a little long for my short arms. My brother in law got one and then modified it (I know the purists will say bad, bad, bad) by adding a pistol grip and then painting the stock to match and removed the upper wood above the barrel. It lighted it up and made it easier to shoot and doesn't appear to have suffered in accuracy from the mods.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Oh, and Fausty - just for your future reference, the $ sign goes in FRONT of the amount (yes I know we speak like 5 dollars, but it is really written out as $5.00) so it should have been $99.99 (just letting you know and you can decide if you want to use that info or not).
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I was just at Fleet farm for non gun related shopping and they have them on sale for 89.99. Couldnt resist told the guy I will take one, and to my surprise when he pulled one out from the back and opened it up it has a hex reciever with a date of 1926 took it home

As evidenced by the solid steel butt plate, the Soviets felt recoil protection was for ninnies.
    They were right...it is.

I finally broke down and bought one a while back. The history is great and it shoots fine. Of course, it is a battle rifle, not a target rifle. Recoil is about like a .308. Not bad at all. It is a barrel of fun and you can shoot it all day for peanuts. Then go home and watch "Enemy At The Gates."

I have a 43 izhvesk. Remove the bolt and check the bore first. Great gun for deer. Mine is the talk of every rang I take it to.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I have one too. It is a 1942 91/30 which is in very good condition. The bore is not pitted, not counter bored and is clean. I make sure to run a wet (water) patch or two down it after getting home from shooting to remove the corrosive salts that are left by the corrosive primers in the ammo I'm using. One thing, I always come home with a big bruise from shooting it. What I need to do is shorten it up a little and put a recoil pad on it as the pull is a little long for my short arms. My brother in law got one and then modified it (I know the purists will say bad, bad, bad) by adding a pistol grip and then painting the stock to match and removed the upper wood above the barrel. It lighted it up and made it easier to shoot and doesn't appear to have suffered in accuracy from the mods.
    Don't you dare chop it up! I'll sell you my pad for $10 goes on with the original screws off the buttplate. Never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    A couple of thoughts on what you posted here:
    1) Clean your barrel lightly before it cools at the range. Be sure and oil it good after drying it thoroughly. Here is a great site with excellent advice.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu13.htm

2) Bruising from a 7.62X54R? Hold the rifle tighter against your shoulder. If you're getting bruised, it is usually a result of incorrect hold.

3) I would avoid your brother in law like the plague.

Not picking on you in any way.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by petecamp View Post
    A couple of thoughts on what you posted here:
    1) Clean your barrel lightly before it cools at the range. Be sure and oil it good after drying it thoroughly. Here is a great site with excellent advice.
    Educational Zone #13 - Shooting & Cleaning Corrosive Ammo - Page 1
    No need to have to do anything until you get home. The corrosive salts aren't going to do anything immediately. Will it hurt to do it right away? No, not at all. Is it NECESSARY to do it immediately when done shooting? No, not at all.

2) Bruising from a 7.62X54R? Hold the rifle tighter against your shoulder. If you're getting bruised, it is usually a result of incorrect hold.
    Too long a pull for my arms so it doesn't fit right on my shoulder. But I found that folding a hand towel in half and placing it over my shoulder/arm works wonders. I'll get a recoil pad soon, if I don't sell off the 91/30, which I'm thinking of doing. I want to get the Carbine which would be a bit smaller and more easily managed by me.

3) I would avoid your brother in law like the plague.
    Well, I don't know about that for this reason, but maybe for others.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I mentioned cleaning as soon as you are finished shooting because the barrel is warm. Cleaning a warm barrel means less time for anything to harden and become harder to clean, resulting in less scrubbing with a brush. I have done this for almost 50 years. Works well for me. YMMV

Is the LOP on the carbine less than on the full sized rifle?

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    I got one last month for $105.00. I really like it. Took a while to get it clean enough to handle, then more cleaning before going to the range. Lower recoil than any rifle I ever shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by petecamp View Post
    You two are far manlier than I. While I have no problem shooting my Nagant I won't go so far as to say it's the lowest recoiling rifle I have ever shot, nor will I claim to not have a nice reddened area on my shoulder when I get done shooting 40 rounds of 7.62x54R. YMMV
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

ok, i have yet to take this to the range. it is detail stripped, i have to go get mineral spirits to clean all the metal parts. as far as the stock goes i will be using an aftermarket one, i will not be discarding the original. i am going to hang it in my attic for the rest of the summer over a container, and hopefully that will bleed all the grease out of it, hopefully i will be able to get it completely restored because i just can't abide the thing sweating grease out on me every time i take it out. i was surprised how much the stock weighs when it is impregnated with oil. it is probably half of the weight of the gun right now.

the bore is fine, i ran some patches down it so i could get a look at it and it's clean.

Fleet farm in Beaver Dam offers the often.
    There is nothing new about the mosin nagant been showing up in the market for years. Like a lot of weapons lot of hype attached to them.
    but what the heck for under 100 what else can you buy . Better range than a SK
    As for keeping Hitler out well it played a part but think the harsh weather played a big part and his forces not really being ready for the fight kind of over extended. But who knows we rewrite history every few years any way.

hitler fought a two front war, and that's why the russians won and he lost. if he had stayed out of russia until he needed to fight that fight we would all be speaking german right now.

so anyways, mine is a soviet 91/30, manufactured in Izhevsk. this is probably the most common type. so i am not feeling as guilty about putting a poly stock on it now. probably gonna scope it up and keep my eyes open for one of the rarer ones to restore as well. cool gun, cool history. i am still gonna try to bleed all the cosmo out of the stock so i can have a nice restored original stock to go with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links