Best AK 47 variant for the $?

This is a discussion on Best AK 47 variant for the $? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone in defensive carry land. I've been out of touch for a while due to personal matters but now I'm back. I am in ...

Thread: Best AK 47 variant for the $?

Hello everyone in defensive carry land. I've been out of touch for a while due to personal matters but now I'm back. I am in the market for an AK type rifle. I am not an AK snob so I am not looking for something 'pure'. I'm looking for a good, cheap,and reliable AK. I am specifically looking for one that won't break the bank. My spending limit is probably $700 Max. I would appreciate any advice and opinions on the different affordable AKs out there. Look forward to hearing from everyone.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

VIP Member
    WASR. About $500 to $600. They're ugly but they run just fine.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Subs

I you need a project you can convert a saiga rifle.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    WASR. About $500 to $600. They're ugly but they run just fine.
    Yeah, not the most visually stunning but mine works like a charm (especially after stripping the paint off the bolt and polishing it). I got mine for $499 "new" at the LGS.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Anyone have opinions on M+M M10 or the Inter Ordinance AK? I found these to also be quite affordable except I know nothing about them. Please share your thoughts.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKaos View Post
    Subs
    Whats a 'subs'?
    -joey rh

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    WASR's are fine. I refininished the wood on mine and painted the metal with Krylon high temp BBQ paint and baked it on. Has held up wonderfully.
    Also strip the blue off the bolt carrier with white vinegar and polish with jewlers rougue. I need to put some pic's of mine on here. Took it to the
    gunshow last weekend to trade it for a fixed stock and people couldnt believe it was just a lowly WASR

My WASR hasn't let me down yet. I'd have no trouble recommending it, just make sure and give it a look over first, make sure the sights and gas tube are straight.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    Whats a 'subs'?
    Subscription to the thread.

So if you don't have time to post an answer, you just say "subs" so the thread is saved to your list of subscribed threads. Now you can come back to it without doing a search or scrolling.

How about an AK 74 instead of a 47?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1003.aspx
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

VIP Member
    There's exactly one way to get a cheaper AK and have it perform like an AK is capable, and that's an AK converted by someone that knows what they're doing. If you're handy with tools you can do it yourself, there are plenty of places to see how. If you'd rather just buy one, check here. The disadvantage here is that you'll have to rework the front end to put optics out there. The side mount will be ready to go when it shows up though.

Other than that you can get a WASR. I have one, and no doubt it runs without fail. However when compared to the other AK rifles in the safe it falls well short. It is inaccurate, rough, and just not really representative of the AK platform.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Sponsored Links