Who makes a good 5.56/.223 AK clone??

This is a discussion on Who makes a good 5.56/.223 AK clone?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; That's what I'd really like to have. An AK in 5.56/.223. Anyone know any good ones out there?? Educate me....

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By babarock
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By sniper58
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: Who makes a good 5.56/.223 AK clone??

That's what I'd really like to have. An AK in 5.56/.223. Anyone know any good ones out there??

Educate me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Galil?
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

I've been very happy with my M&P AR15. I also liked the fact that I could buy the M&P AR15-22 that has the same look and feel but shoots .22lr
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Mike,

Just asking, but why an AK in .223? It seems to me that 7.62x39 is cheap enough, and that mags are more available to make the .223 AK a non starter
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I've been very happy with my M&P AR15.
    . Same here.. I've been very happy with my M&P15. It didn't break the bank either.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have a 5.56 Draco I've been meaning to SBR.... For a couple years now. I'd go with Arsenal for a 5.56 (or any caliber, actually). Arsenal is one of the very few to-to AK's that I know works well and I see being recommended by those that know AKs. I don't know AKs at all like I know AR's, but I'm working on that.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/produc...&cat=25&page=1
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I've been very happy with my M&P AR15. I also liked the fact that I could buy the M&P AR15-22 that has the same look and feel but shoots .22lr
    Thanks but, I have AR's. I was asking specifically about an AK chambered in 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Mike,

Just asking, but why an AK in .223? It seems to me that 7.62x39 is cheap enough, and that mags are more available to make the .223 AK a non starter
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's just an interest of mine. Not a must have or anything. I really like the 5.56 round but I actually prefer the AK platform to the AR. (AK seems to work no matter what. Dirty? No problem. Not drowning in lube like most AR's like to run? No problem at all. That kind of thing.) I just find the AK platform to be more robust, less prone to stoppages and fewer moving parts which is a good thing.

It's just something I am interested in getting. Not something I have a need for.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Good enough for me, I have lots of "Like to haves" on my list too
    TN_Mike likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    A good friend has an Arsenal AK in 5.56 - a real shooter and he didn't do a lot of upgrades/mods. Worth the price and R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    Another vote for Arsenal Inc - SLR-106F SERIES

TN_Mike likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Administrator
    I think an AK in .223/5.56 is a great idea. I am a Galil kinda guy. Forget about snatching up a vintage Israeli Manufacture I.M.I. Magnum research or Action Arms import. The prices (these days) will set your socks on fire.

I was fortunate enough to get all of my Galil rifles and "Galil accessory shopping" done many years ago.

Forget about it now though 'cause it will break your piggy bank into little bite size pieces.

One advantage of an AK clone would be a lighter weight receiver since the Galil w/ a milled steel receiver is decently heavy.

On one hand it's great that everything on the Galil is overbuilt for max durability but, all of that "overbuilt" adds weight to everything including the steel mags.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oh...SAIGA has a .223/5.56 rifle that is supposed to be really sweet if you can find one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Thanks but, I have AR's. I was asking specifically about an AK chambered in 5.56.
    Sorry, I saw the .223/5.56 and blew by the AK vs AR at light speed. Good luck in your search.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Links