"CUstom" paint job

This is a discussion on "CUstom" paint job within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would my rife: MP15.jpeg Look completely stupid if I sprayed the stock, grip, and hand guard with: Krylon: Products: Fusion for Plastic® in "terra cotta" ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: "CUstom" paint job

"CUstom" paint job

Would my rife:

MP15.jpeg

Look completely stupid if I sprayed the stock, grip, and hand guard with:

Krylon: Products: Fusion for Plastic® in "terra cotta"

Thinking I could get the cool customized look for a lot less...

2. Remove Ads

Go for it! I think it would look good. You could always change it if you don't like it.

Yeah it could work. And if it doesn't a new stock grip and forend could be had for not too much money.

Go for it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    It may look good at first but it wont last long before it starts to show it's true colors. Save up and get the real deal.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    Yes, it'll look stupid. Or at least something will.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes, it'll look GHETTO. Or at least something will.
    There, I fixed it. : )
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I'm all for painting rifles whether there's a need or not. Something as simple as a light color keeping it cooler in South Texas summers is good enough for me... I'd recommend Aervoe over Krylon though, as it's quite a bit more durable and sprays on lighter with less splatter. Great stuff and quite a few reviews on it on Lightfighter and m4carbine.

Now, your color choice though.... That one is on you. I prefer earth tones.

One of the things I actually like about a painted rifle is how it wears and the character that gives it. If someone wants a pretty rifle, then have it cerakoted or hydro dipped. If you have a valid reason for painting your rifle, do it with spray paint and give it a user look. Personally, I love it, but I understand that beat up look isn't for everyone.

Here's a few of mine. A little Krylon on the accents, but the main colors are all Aervoe. None took more than 45 minutes including prep and were ready to shoot within a day or two, though giving it a week allows it to cure and avoids easy chipping.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Just had a Sig refinished with cerakote. Get it done right... Avoid the duct tape....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

But why? Why send it out? Is it to make it look neat or is it for some other reason? I've been carrying the m&p in the pic above for about 3 months now with a minimum of 15 minutes of dry practice per day (constant holster work) and 3 or 4 days a week of live fire, and it's held up extremely well.

It has FDE Cerakote under the paint on the slide. There's no taping involved. Hang it and spray it and it's done. I had a valid reason for painting some of my rifles, though I did a handful of others just because. They stay cooler in the heat and allow you to blend into your surroundings when hunting or in particular jobs. The only rifles I haven't ended up painting are my work rifles.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I do love the look of that Draco.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

RKM
    I painted my Polytac light on my AR with Krylon flat tan paint. I haven't even shot the gun yet and there are already wear marks. With a completely painted rifle, it looks pretty cool once it starts to naturally wear off. If I were you, I'd just buy some FDE Magpul MOE hand guards, grip and stock. Just over $110 for the stock, handguards and grip from Magpul.

I jumped on the FDE bandwagon and just put an FDE B5 SOPMOD stock along with the FDE painted light, FDE "magpuls" on my GI mags and a Coyote brown VTAC sling.

Lead Moderator
    http://http://www.recoilweb.com/prev...mer-dyeingar15

Some cool tips in Recoil mag for dying light colored furniture for cutomization.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links