Two options for AR15: Bushmaster XM15ES2 20" or S&W M&P15 Sport 16"

This is a discussion on Two options for AR15: Bushmaster XM15ES2 20" or S&W M&P15 Sport 16" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can obtain both of these for roughly the same price ($650 and $770). Which would you go with, and why? Leaning toward the XM ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TWO GUNS
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Two options for AR15: Bushmaster XM15ES2 20" or S&W M&P15 Sport 16"

Two options for AR15: Bushmaster XM15ES2 20" or S&W M&P15 Sport 16"

I can obtain both of these for roughly the same price ($650 and $770). Which would you go with, and why? Leaning toward the XM for the 20" barrel.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Ever consider picking up a lower receiver and a Kit? This PSA carbine kit would be a better choice than either the Bushmaster or S&W you've listed and it'd come in at the same cost.

16in_mid_classic_kit_2.jpg
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Ever consider picking up a lower receiver and a Kit? This PSA carbine kit would be a better choice than either the Bushmaster or S&W you've listed and it'd come in at the same cost.

16in_mid_classic_kit_2.jpg
    Agreed.

OP, don't you already have an m&p 15? It's in your signature.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

The PSA has had some good reviews and mentioned by more than one person as a good option. What reasonably priced/quality lower is recommended to go with the PSA kit?

sgb
    Last edited by sgb; July 31st, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

If you want the 20" rifle I'd get the PSA 20" kit and put it on a lower with the A2 furniture. It is built to better specs than the Bushmaster.

[QUOTE=sgb;2339335]ETA: AIM Surplus just posted these, they normally don't last long at this price - $79.95

Spike's Tactical AR15 Lower Receiver

f1stslgen15a.jpg

You are right. Sold out already. Thanks for the links will look at the rest.

I have always had good luck with Bushmasters.
    Ram Rod likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I have always had good luck with Bushmasters.
    Well, same here. Thing is......seems to be unthinkable to mention around here these days. What do I care? Issued an M16 at the ripe old age of 17. Still don't know what a hill of beans amounts to other than a bunch of beans that I could never eat.

My bushmaster has several thousand rounds thru it. No miss fires or jams. It has eaten all ammo that I have fed it. Including the cheap tull with metal casings.

While I prefer a Colt, my Bushmaster seems to be a very good quality gun. Many people who I respect and who know their stuff, such as jonconsiglio, a member here will tell you that there are some things about the lower cost AR platforms that are not as attention to detail as other "top tier" rifles. These things may become evident if one is shooting a thousand rounds a week thru the gun.

However, I do not. And , I do not think that even in a survival situation I would shoot that many rounds in a week. I believe that for general use, they will be fine, and last for thousands of trouble free rounds. Just depends on what you want to do.
    RKM likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    While I prefer a Colt, my Bushmaster seems to be a very good quality gun. Many people who I respect and who know their stuff, such as jonconsiglio, a member here will tell you that there are some things about the lower cost AR platforms that are not as attention to detail as other "top tier" rifles. These things may become evident if one is shooting a thousand rounds a week thru the gun.

However, I do not. And , I do not think that even in a survival situation I would shoot that many rounds in a week. I believe that for general use, they will be fine, and last for thousands of trouble free rounds. Just depends on what you want to do.
    I agree with this 100%. While Bushmaster are not "the best", or even close, really, they will be more than enough for the average firearm owner.

As for the OP's choice, I'd rather have a 16" barrel of the M&P15. But that's just me, I like shorter barrels because my intended use of the AR benefits greatly from a shorter barrel. 16" is great as it's no paper work required, short enough to handle easily, while also long enough to maintain proper velocity needed for the 5.56 to work. 20" would be good for hunting use. These are my opinions of course, not gospel.

sgb
    Bushmasters are fine for most folk, however better built guns can be had in the same price range.

VIP Member
    Hmmmm. I think the OP got caught in a lie and is gone. He's now an ex-member....weird.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links