Spikes Tactical vs Daniel Defense? please help me decide

This is a discussion on Spikes Tactical vs Daniel Defense? please help me decide within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello I am not new to the AR platform but I never really thought of actually owning one until now (they remind me of work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spikes Tactical vs Daniel Defense? please help me decide

Hello I am not new to the AR platform but I never really thought of actually owning one until now (they remind me of work haha) For some reason now I have the bug to own one. I have the option of buying either a Spikes Tactical ST-15 16" M4 LE Carbine ST-15 16 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $865.95 : Spikes Tactical
    Or a DANIEL DEFENSE M4 CARBINE, V2
    https://danieldefense.com/rifles/dan...arbine-v2.html
    I can get the Spikes for around $830 with about a one month wait and I do have a Knights Armament quad rail that I would put on it. Or I could buy the Daniel Defense right now for around $1200 that is in stock at my local gun shop. Both are in my budget. I know the DD is quite a bit more but I don't mind paying more for quality. I don't however want to pay more for a name. I know the DD has a cold hammer forged barrel and includes the quad rail. What are your thoughts? I'd appreciate the input very much.

I have the Spikes rifle and it is solid. I understand the DD is a better-built rifle in some respects, but the Spikes does have the durability features you're looking for. Whether the DD is $400 better is up to you though.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    DD-it is considered one of the top makers, a notch below the gold standard of Noveske and LaRue. IMO, the spikes is not in the same tier. However, you pay for the quality. I just ordered a DD M4V7 LW after much research.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    DD is a better choice hands down if you have the money. They are mill spec and top tier.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

sgb
    Both are good choices, you can't go wrong with either.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I don't know of anything bad about Spikes other than I hate that stupid spider.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member
    Nothing wrong with Spikes... they're also made to "MilSpec" and the upgrade from the standard barrel to a CHF is only fifty bucks. I personally don't think I'd spend the extra for the DD, unless perhaps I was going to war with it.. rather I'd spend that extra cash on P-Mags and ammo.. but that's just me.
    The beauty of the AR platform is that it's so easy to mix and match to get the best bang for your buck.
    My newest addition is built on a Spikes 5.56 pistol lower with a VLTOR 7" upper and I expect to be happy.

Best of luck and happy shooting with whatever you choose :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

DD has an edge in quality over Spikes, and also less gimmicks. They also didn't gouge their customers after election day in '08.

OK, so it seems like DD is the way to go. What about the Daniel Defense M4 Carbine, XVEZ? http://westernsportonline.com/index....roducts_id=921
    It is spec'd more closely to the Spikes except it has a drop in 2 piece rail system included. It does not have the free floating quadrail that the DD has in my original post. But I can get this one for a lower price new. The local gun shop has one of these too and they are discontinued so once its gone its gone. I don't think I need free float rails anyway.

Any of the DD rifles would be fine, just chose the setup you like best. Front sight gas block or low pro gas block, stands barrel or lightweight, 7" rail or up to 12", etc. I'd get a 16" mid length with the fixed front sight block and the 9" Omega for my first rifle from DD.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

They both have 1:7 twist barrels. Does this fit the ammo/purpose of the rifle?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I think 1/ 7 will be fine

How do you like that V7 kapnketel? they have the standard barrel version at my local gun shop as well not a light weight barrel. I was originally thinking about a quad rail but I guess that would be a lighter way to go even without the light barrel. would I be out of luck if I wanted to mount 1 of those angled front grips from Magpul?

Administrator
    I think Spikes has done a nice job of putting out a nice rifle at a reasonable price. They made some compromises to keep cost down but they did so in the right places. Gimmicks? Yeah... they have that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just but money down on a DDMV7. Picking it up Tuesday! This journey for an AR took some twists and turns but I think it ended up with a better ending than the one I had planned haha. Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links