SBR tax stamp??

This is a discussion on SBR tax stamp?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After much deliberation, Ive came up with this crazy concoction that will cover all bases of cheap training, competition, and a very capable shtf weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SBR tax stamp??

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

SBR tax stamp??

After much deliberation, Ive came up with this crazy concoction that will cover all bases of cheap training, competition, and a very capable shtf weapon system. In summary, its a glock 17, or 34 in 9mm, coupled with a CAA Roni (video below if you dont know what it is.) The thing is, Im gonna need an ATF tax stamp to make it legit. Any one know how to get one?

CAA TACTICAL - 3D #RONI - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

Check out the last three stickies in the NFA subforum on m4c. I can help you with the process, as can a number of others here, but start with those threads I mentioned to get you started. It's pretty easy, you just have to pay $200 and wait about 6 months or so, depending on current times.

NFA - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Anybody out there have/shot one of these? If not, anyone care to offer up their opinion of such a system?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

What are the down falls of having a SBR? I have heard things like the atf can stop by your home anytime to inspect your weapon. Is stuff like that true? Is the stamp lifetime or is there renewal? Can you sell the SBR does the stamp transfer with the gun?
    It's gonna be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing.

It's a lifetime thing. I just recently sold my mp5 and suppressor, I have numerous other suppressors and SBR'd lowers. If you sell it, they'll need to do the same process as you, so it's best to go through a class 3 dealer on that. Well, I shouldn't say "best" as that's the only way I've done it. There may be better ways for all I know.

You can do a trust and add others to the trust so you can leave the firearm with them if you travel and don't take it or so they can use it as well. Nobody can be in possession of that firearm without you being right there unless they are named in the trust. When you travel out of state with it, you need a travel slip form the ATF which is easy to obtain, just takes a little while, and can be good for up to a year.

Never had a problem and only two friends have. One of those was because an AR he sold at a tun show ended up in cartel hands. Nothing to worry about really and his went very smooth and he said the guy was really cool.

That same friend of mine has one of these, or similar. I'll try to find a pic. It's fun, and I was on the verge of doing it, but realized its not something I'd personally use. I'd prefer a suppressor or a short barreled rifle of some type.

But, if you like the idea, go for it. It was a good time shooting it.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; August 3rd, 2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Not sure why my iPad won't break the paragraphs.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    The tax stamp approval from the ATF has been running me anywhere from 7-10 months due to the backlog.

Its a common misconception that the ATF can come visit you at will just because you own a stamp, they can not. They can do a compliance inspection on an FFL holder at any time, but even then they will call and make an appointment unless you are suspected of a crime, in which case they just show up.

Getting the stamp is not hard. You fill out two Form 4's, get two sets of fingerprints, put two pictures of yourself on them,get the CLEO to sign it, sign a citizenship form and then stick it all in an envolope with a 200 check to the ATF and then wait and wait and wait.

When it comes back approved, you are good to go.
    Ionracas likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wow, I seriously thought it would be a much harder and costly process than that. Ive been considering a tax stamp for surpressors, Id like to get a .22 and surpressor for my BOB.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Senior Moderator
    Lots of people think its harder than it is.

In my case, I type up the Forms 4's and give you the fingerprint cards and the Citizenship sheet to sign. All you have to do is go the the Police, give then the fingerprint cards, let them fingerprint you and they usually get the Chief of Police or the Sherrif to sign while you are getting printed, so you can kill two birds with one stone. Get it all together and send the check.

Not as big of a deal as everyone thinks.
    Ionracas likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Glad HotGuns posted that. Let me clarify. Even though that AR ended up in the hands of the cartel, the ATF did call and make an appointment with my friend to find out the whole story.

In every situation I've ever heard of, the ATF agent has been very courteous and things always went very smooth. I'm waiting on another stamp for my Surefire can. We'll see how long this one takes.

Edit - my mistake, they cannot audit without a reason.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; August 3rd, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Just wondering....can you send in more than one form at a time? Like say a suppressor and an SBR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Senior Moderator
    Just wondering....can you send in more than one form at a time? Like say a suppressor and an SBR?
    Yes, there is no limitation. You can send as many as you can afford.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    But, like I said earlier, they can audit you whenever they want.
    No. They can question you as any other LEO agency can if they have a question. They do not audit tax stamp holders. They do audit FFL holders. Just having a tax stamp does not allow them to "audit" you.

Me...I can get audited anytime.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Sorry about that... HotGuns is correct and I was wrong on that one. They need a search warrant and cannot stop by or call to audit just because you own NFA items. I found it with a quick Google search, verifying what HotGuns said, which I did not doubt, by the way.

Good to know

Senior Moderator
    Interesting.
    My IOI said told me specifically that they have neither the time nor the inclination to audit a stamp holder. Once the stamp is paid for, they could care less.

Just acquiring a tax stamp is no justification for an audit, in fact in the NFA handbook it states this. I know of one case where the ATF called someone wanting to have a "look-see" and when the guys lawyers contacted them about it, they dropped it, it never came to be.

One of the biggest myths on the net is that you are open to inspection just because you got a stamp. Thats wrong.

Anther thing..the more you deal with the ATF, the more you will see that very few of them have a clue about the regulations. I've been told things by the Field Division that the Industry Operations Inspectors poo-poohed and vice versa. They are a typical, top heavy, extremely inefficient government organization no different than any other. Even the IOI's don't agree on much. There is a huge difference between the East Coast Operators and the West Coast Operators and how they do business.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The hardest thing for a lot of folks is getting the CLEO such as the sheriff of ur county to sign off on the form. North Carolina counties are hit and miss on this. Other then that no problem just the wait.
    Has anyone every tried to get the Sheriff in Rowan Co., NC to sign?
    When I lived in Guilford Co., NC it was a big NO he did not. Even for LEO.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links