Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR?

This is a discussion on Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll admit, I love RDS's. For a patrol gun though, the 10.5 is easy to get in and out of the car, easy to clear ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR?

Senior Moderator
    I'll admit, I love RDS's.

For a patrol gun though, the 10.5 is easy to get in and out of the car, easy to clear houses with and that 10.5 barrel is going to do everything it needs to do for typical ranges that LEO's encounter.Even so, in the basic configuration, I have no problem slapping a 10 gong at 200 yards eveytime.

With the A2 upper though, that RDS is just too high. Now an A3 might be worth it, but not so much on the on an A1 orA2.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Jon, this is an Aimpoint I got from one of the guys I trained years ago who gave it to me upon returning in 2005. Itsbeat all to hell. but still works. Hell, the battery still works and the glass is in good shape as it has flip up rubber guards on it. Can you tell me what kind of battery it takes, and anything else I need to know about it? Im going to mount it on the Colt and start experimenting.
    I'm not Jon, but I think that is a M-2: Product singleview

There should be a roll mark/serial # somewhere that would tell you for sure. The M-2 and M-3 look rather similar so it can be hard to tell just from that picture, but both use the same battery, One 3V Lithium battery, type 2L76 or DL1/3N
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I use flip sights on both my duty M4 and my personal M4 and to be honest with the exception of low light and no light I shoot better with the iron sights than I do with my EOTECH'S and i have a EOTECH on both..
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I'm not Jon, but I think that is a M-2: Product singleview

There should be a roll mark/serial # somewhere that would tell you for sure. The M-2 and M-3 look rather similar so it can be hard to tell just from that picture, but both use the same battery, One 3V Lithium battery, type 2L76 or DL1/3N
    You are right! I just went and took the battery out and with the help of my "bifocals" could read DL1/3N. Are they still available, and is this a good RDS?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Also, whats the life span? I mean this one is old! I keep it off, but how long will it last on its brightest setting?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You are right! I just went and took the battery out and with the help of my "bifocals" could read DL1/3N. Are they still available, and is this a good RDS?
    Yup, the batteries are still available. I seem to recall I have bought them for my M3 at Meijer or Walmart, in the watch/camera battery area. But, with a 50,000 hour life, I don't buy em too often.

Yup, it is a solid sight. It isn't the latest and greatest, and is slightly bulkier and heavier than the newer models (but isn't that true of most things in life?), but should still be a perfectly serviceable sight.

Since it has the flip up covers, you can use it to learn the both eyes open aiming that utilizes the Bindon Aiming concept. After you zero the sight, start at close range (10-25m)shoot both eyes open, with the front cover closed. The dot should just kind of float in the air, you won't notice the sight. And your hits should go where you want them.

EDIT: If its the M-2, it has a 10,000 hour battery life. The M-3 has 50,000 hours.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yup, the batteries are still available. I seem to recall I have bought them for my M3 at Meijer or Walmart, in the watch/camera battery area. But, with a 50,000 hour life, I don't buy em too often.

Yup, it is a solid sight. It isn't the latest and greatest, and is slightly bulkier and heavier than the newer models (but isn't that true of most things in life?), but should still be a perfectly serviceable sight.

Since it has the flip up covers, you can use it to learn the both eyes open aiming that utilizes the Bindon Aiming concept. After you zero the sight, start at close range (10-25m)shoot both eyes open, with the front cover closed. The dot should just kind of float in the air, you won't notice the sight. And your hits should go where you want them.

EDIT: If its the M-2, it has a 10,000 hour battery life. The M-3 has 50,000 hours.
    Thanks. I have always shot both eyes open so that shouldnt be a curve.

I run a low powered variable optic on my AR with QD mounts and flip up irons. I prefer a fixed stock and built my last one with a CAV arms lower. Good luck and learn the rifle well.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

I have a quick detach Barska scope for my Ruger SR556. The Barska is a piece of junk so in usually winds up back in the rifle case and I end up shooting with the excellent Troy iron flip-up sights that came with the rifle. Pretty decent sights out to about 100 yards. After that I really do need to use a scope.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just the iron sights for my Colt Match HBAR. They are always there, ready to go and I hit what I am shooting at.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Irons, but I'm cheating a little bit with this front sight post.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Irons, but I'm cheating a little bit with this front sight post.
    I have the KNS Precision front sight (duplex) on my FAL, love that sight.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

sgb
    Also, whats the life span? I mean this one is old! I keep it off, but how long will it last on its brightest setting?
    I've got several M2 Aimpoints, I left one on continuously for a year on the #6 setting without issue. If you sight in at 50 yards you're good for center of chest to 200 yards. You can download and print some 50 yard zero targets from here Zero Targets Optimized for Aimpoint Style Optics - M4Carbine.net Forums
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have a 20" bone-stock A2 with iron sights that runs great.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

With all due respect, AR's are not set up pretty perfect for combat with an A1 or A2 set up. If that was the case, we wouldn't be on the A4. Combat arms gets issued A4s, the only places you see A2s anymore are non-combat arms issue weapons. Or at least that is what I saw in the Marines.

The standard issue low magnified optic or red dot sight is in my humble opinion, one of the most important technological advances in infantry small arms post WW2. Having a low magnification optic, like 3-4x, gives a huge advantage in longer distance engagements, as well as in target identification. And then you add in the Bindon Aiming Concept, and the advantage it gives in short distance CQB use, and it becomes very clear, very quickly, an A1 or A2 is not ideally set up for combat. It is true that you can mount a optic on a fixed carrying handle, but it is very high over the bore axis, which detracts from how effective it is.

Back to the OP's question. I run a fixed (non-folding) back up iron behind an Aimpoint RDS. If you just buy an AR and stick a red dot on there, and never learn the irons, you are doing a disservice to yourself. We used to qual with irons at 500 yards, such shooting is very doable. But, I could get good hits faster with an ACOG than with irons. But irons don't have lenses to crack, or batteries to die, which is why you should have a set up irons on the gun, and know how to use them.
    While it may be that I was speaking for myself more than all. Throughout my military training I was always the high man on the the range, and qualified expert with all devices. I am pretty skilled with point shooting and can drop 50 meter popups all day with point and shoot, and spent years in compititive shotgun shooting. for me at combat range, and good eyes, optics just get in the way. Of course everything changes for those not blessed with good eysight, and of course shooting skills, and training do vary a lot, but when it comes to real speed inside 50 yards no sights can approach the speed of a good point shooter, and it would be a very rare encounter outside that range in this country. No long rang shooting, I love optics, and own 3 scooped weapons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links