Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR?

This is a discussion on Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an A2 style bushy that I've never taken the carry handle off of. I bought the A2 just in case I changed my ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR?

I have an A2 style bushy that I've never taken the carry handle off of. I bought the A2 just in case I changed my mind but thus far have not. I mostly just use it for blasting coffee cans on the "farm" and for that type of work I just enjoy shooting with irons more. Other than a couple of rifles I deer and squirrel hunt with I prefer irons on everything I shoot. I'm a keep it simple guy and like my guns with as few "extras" as possible.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Turned my Aimpoint off at the range for a little while at the range. This thread made me want to revisit my irons after ignoring them for awhile. Shot a few 1" groups at 50 yards and was satisfied with that. Would have moved to 100 yards but it was so hot out today after about an hour I was ready to go home.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I had an Aimpoint PRO on my Colt 6920. I ended up trading it for 200 rounds of 55 gr. Hornady Tap and ten Lancer L5 AWM magazines. I'd like to practice more using the iron sights anyway and maybe someday I'll get another optic. It's less things that can go wrong if I ever need to use my carbine in a critical situation. Also if standard mags are ever banned again I'll have plenty and optics will still be readily available I think.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    I have a quick detach Barska scope for my Ruger SR556. The Barska is a piece of junk so in usually winds up back in the rifle case and I end up shooting with the excellent Troy iron flip-up sights that came with the rifle. Pretty decent sights out to about 100 yards. After that I really do need to use a scope.
    My wife just bought her 1st AR (SW M&P15 Sport). We took it to the range for the first time Saturday and I put a Barska 1x rds on it to try. I was hitting 4" groups at 100yrd straight out of the box and got better as the day progressed. After I set it up to be used with the BUIS, it really helped my wife get better sight pictures and it kept it zero for the whole time even after 3-4 hours of continuous shooting.

We shot 25, 50 & 100yrds; changing things up every 20min or so. (Overall, I was pleasently surprised all the way around.)

-

Administrator
    Personally I think you're really missing out on something if you don't at least Red Dot your "Go To" SHTF rifle but, that is just my personal O-penguin.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I have a Bushmaster AR A2 type AR. I did have a flat top but I could not use a red dot sight so I got rid of it. So do any of you guys use the factory iron sights like I do?
    Yes, I think the idea of having optics on any assault rifle is ridicules. We never had anything like that in the 1980's in my old Marine unit even though you could actually mount a scope on an M-16A1. It has never made logical sense to me to do it. An AR-15 or a CAR-15 or an M-4(espec. the 14" or less barrels) all are basically shorter range rifles which are meant to be tough durable, reliable. Putting some optic on it that might easily break down and be a lump in the middle of FUBAR is absurd to me. I can hit well at the ranges I expect to use those rifles without a gadget. If you can shoot well, you shouldn't need it. I think the whole concept of "add ons" to a combat or defense rifle is just screwed up frankly. It's just not the way I think at all.

I have one CAR-15, recently completed from parts in boxes and one AR-15 from 1984. Niether will ever have a scope or the like.

DMJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    Yes, I think the idea of having optics on any assault rifle is ridicules. We never had anything like that in the 1980's in my old Marine unit even though you could actually mount a scope on an M-16A1. It has never made logical sense to me to do it. An AR-15 or a CAR-15 or an M-4(espec. the 14" or less barrels) all are basically shorter range rifles which are meant to be tough durable, reliable. Putting some optic on it that might easily break down and be a lump in the middle of FUBAR is absurd to me. I can hit well at the ranges I expect to use those rifles without a gadget. If you can shoot well, you shouldn't need it. I think the whole concept of "add ons" to a combat or defense rifle is just screwed up frankly. It's just not the way I think at all.

I have one CAR-15, recently completed from parts in boxes and one AR-15 from 1984. Niether will ever have a scope or the like.

DMJ
    Well, this is no longer the 1980's, and there are many very good reasons to have "add ons" on a combat rifle, as I said in my earlier post. And the mounting system on a M-16A1 for a scope is flawed, because it puts the optic too high over the bore axis.

As for the "shorter range rifles," I think anyone that has shot the Marine known distance course with a M-4, which is anyone who is issued an M-4 instead of an M-16A4, would disagree. The vast majority of SNCO's and officers qualify with M-4s, and the course is the same, including the 500 yard shooting. And optics are generally capable of increasing the effective range.

Quality modern optics are able to withstand a lot of abuse, and even if it does go kaput, that is why they are ran with back up irons. It really isn't a gadget, it is a force multiplier, that enhances the ability of the user in order to increase the odds of survival in a bad situation.

"If you can shoot well, you shouldn't need it" Well, in my experience, plain iron sights are really hard to see at night/low light conditions, including clearing houses in crappy third world countries. A properly used red dot, or a laser with a pressure switch, makes that task a whole lot easier.

And I had a thermal imaging unit that could mount ahead of my ACOG, that allowed me to know what was going on around me in rain, fog, sandstorms, as well as night time.

So, with due respect, technology know is leaps and bounds above what it was in the 80s, and there is a reason it is used now. Not because the user can't shoot, but because it enhances the user's ability to survive.
    sgb, sigmanluke, JD and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I had one, it would have only iron sights.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I love the iron sights!

I love my EOTech!

I love my BUIS!

Nice thing is, I can have both, or one or the other in seconds.

Any other questions? :D

I have a Bushmaster M4 as a patrol rifle at work. It has an Eotech on it. I love it. It's very fast to get a sight picture and start letting rounds go. My AR15 at home is a Colt upper and DPMS lower. It has a fixed carry handle with iron sights. I can shoot that one just fine. I'm a little faster with the Eotech, but I can get the job done ith irons. IMO the only thing that is necessary to put on a defensive rifle is a flashlight. Both of my rifles have that.

When I have an exrtra few hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, then maybe I'll invest in a RDS for my AR.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I personally can not shoot Irons for crap. I've tried, but 100y = a 5 moa group at best. I have them on my AR, but my Aimpoint PRO is my primary. That one gets me all 10 rounds in a string in the 10 ring on a 100y NRA rifle target (prone off the mag). Learning your hold over is the same with a RDS as Irons.

An RDS is also easier to transition to than irons when doing a switch from strong side to support side.

Mine is zeroed at 100y. Effectively a top 1/4 COM holdover insures a quality vital hit from 5 to 200, maybe farther. I can call my hits from 5 to 100 - that is the extent of my hard practice/training classes.

I've only done on session beyond 200, and that was with my 6x scope, and the Dragunov reticule only required 1 click on the elevation and one chevron down for consistent hits at 600 on an 18" gong.

FWIW - a rifle is zeroed at the rage it was zeroed at. A 50 yard zero may get you COM at 200, it may also be off paper. Better to zero at 200, then be a half inch off at 50, rather than zero at 50 and 8 inches off at 200.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I kept my Stag Arms flattop simple with the standard sight post on front and a Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed BUIS on back. These are set up for lower 1/3 co-witness with a Bushnell TRS 25 Red Dot. My whole set-up costs about $150 between the rear sight, Red Dot, and optic mount. Nothing folds, nothing flips, nothing swings. Beautiful.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links