Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR?

This is a discussion on Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Bushmaster AR A2 type AR. I did have a flat top but I could not use a red dot sight so I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do any of you guys run Iron sights on your AR?

I have a Bushmaster AR A2 type AR. I did have a flat top but I could not use a red dot sight so I got rid of it. So do any of you guys use the factory iron sights like I do?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    I use both iron sights (a flip up rear) and an Eotech Red Dot on my M16-A1 patrol rifle, I really like how versatile that set up is. My rear sigh is a multi-aperture peep for 0-10 yards and 10+. My red dot is zeroed at 25 yards.

I know that's far different than most here, but mine is primarily built for use indoors...It's an 11.5" SBR
    Last edited by sigmanluke; August 4th, 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarity
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have two 20" rifles with standard carry handle sights. This is the BUIS I use on my carbine, and it gets used about as much as the Aimpoint.

Matech Mil-Spec Back up Iron Sight W/ranging: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

I still use the factory sights (on removable carry handle). Hey....that's the way I learned. I also use a red dot sight on the carry handle, and a scope on the flat top on occasion. I also have a BUIS for use on the flat top. I like modular, but basics are still good.

EdC
    I used the iron sights on the removable carry handle. Sometimes I use a Millet DMS 1 scope, but I like the way the rifle (LE6920) balances with just the irons.

Thats all I use. Worked well enough for me around the world. Its plenty good enough for what I do now.

I do see an advantage for RDS in low light conditions or quick targeting when the weapon is being brought to bear to the shoulder from a low ready condition at close or intermediate ranges. But for more distant shots where the weapon is already a the shoulder and one is looking thru the sights I see no need for them.

The key, is to determine what and how you expect to use the weapon as it fits into your particular needs and go from there.

But for the money of a quality RDS, I would rather just put a little more money with it and have a spare rifle.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Still using my iron sights. This one will probably stay that way. The next one will be a flat top with a Nikon scope.
    JerryMac likes this.

Absolutely! I have a Colt SP-1 and that's the way it's always been used. That's the preferred sighting equipment on the military styled arms around here. Useful work may be done with iron sights out to fairly long range.

EdC makes a great point about the rifle's balance.

I like the notion of the spare rifle that Gman recommends.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I thought optics were my glasses... iron sights for me... too cheap to buy an optic.
    JerryMac likes this.

If you're looking for both iron and glass, Troy's flip up battle sights are worth checking out.

Edit: should've read the OP better. Factory sights have worked pretty dang well all around the world.

I have red dots but good irons on both the ARs. I wouldn't be without 'em. As pointed out, the red dots offer a big advantage for quick, short-range shots, but if I have to hit something smaller than a man-sized target much past 100 yards, chances are I'm using the irons.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I do not go without and optic but I"ve alway's co-witnessed my BUIS's with the dot or hollowgraphic image in the optic. Variable power optics are another story. I like the Troy flip up in the down position when using something other than a red dot or Hollowgraphic (Aimpoint, Eotech)
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Senior Moderator
    Yep. I've got a 10.5" shorty. Not much point running anything other than irons. It just the straight A2 setup. Simple, quick and effective.

glockman10mm, kb2wji and OD* like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Sorry for the Off Topic reply, but I just have to say that I LOVE your avatar HotGuns.
    SIXTO and CJM like this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Sorry for the offtopic reply, but thanks.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links