Laser sights for 22 bolt action rifle?

This is a discussion on Laser sights for 22 bolt action rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is for my low light possibly nighttime pest control project. It will be hopefully based on a bolt action 22 rim fire with a ...

Thread: Laser sights for 22 bolt action rifle?

This is for my low light possibly nighttime pest control project. It will be hopefully based on a bolt action 22 rim fire with a Sparrow silencer.
    Here's the plan. I want to be able to install a laser sight on the rifle and use that for close range shots in very low light conditions. I have seen a few rail mounted laser sights for about $100 advertised. If these are any good could I just mount a rail on my old wood stocked 22? Would that retain zero well enough out to say thirty yards?

Michael

You are aware that, even with a laser, you won't be able to see a pest at 30 yards? A laser is not a flashlight. Get a good flashlight instead. In short, no, I wouldn't mount a laser sight on a 22 rifle for that. BTW using a 22 for nighttime shooting when you cannot see what is behind your target is inherently dangerous. I would recommend a shotgun.

You'd be better off mounting a 200-ish lumen white light to your gun somehow and using a low-power scope. In low light, the laser buys you close to nothing. You'll see the laser but not what it's hitting. Try it with a $10 laser pointer to see what I'm talking about. Without light-gathering optics or night vision equipment, your eyes will see a red dot and little else.

An alternative solution is the current crop of "tactical" .22 rifles (the AR clones) - ideal for your purpose, as many have rails, or use your AR with a .22 conversion kit. A decent red dot sight and a bright white light will take care of what you need. If you don't want to drop $ on another can, you might try single-loading .22 shorts. They won't cycle the action, but they'll have a low noise signature and will be effective on bunny-sized or smaller game out to 30 yards. I'd want a Long Rifle-class round for raccoons or woodchucks, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links