What shotgun do I want? - Page 2

What shotgun do I want?

This is a discussion on What shotgun do I want? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 12 or 20, no matter. I personally prefer a 12, a pump over an auto, and an 870 over a 500. However, I know that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What shotgun do I want?

12 or 20, no matter. I personally prefer a 12, a pump over an auto, and an 870 over a 500. However, I know that unlike my older (early 90s) 870 Express that was essentially the same as other 870 models, the current generation Express models are a bit down-spec'd and someone posted earlier that the current ones won't accept a standard tube extension. If you're having a hard time making it fit in your budget, I'd definitely look at a used 870, 500, or Win 1300 before I went with some of the off-brand knockoffs. You might even find a police trade in good shape with the long tube already.

My first question to you would be why a 20 gauge? A lot of times 20 gauges weigh less than their 12 gauge counterparts (due to there simply being less gun), so there isn't all that much difference in recoil. 20 gauge also has a lot less selection and availability when it comes to shell types too, so it is harder to find different types of loads.
    +1 or whatever the number is.

The 20 would be fine, BUT, you will not be able to easily find the selection of defensive ammo for it that a 12 offers. And a 12 with low recoil Federal Flite Control 00 or #1 buckshot will probably recoil less than a 20. And it is certainly more effective than the 20. As others said, go with the Mossberg (500, 590A1) or the 870. Go take a good defensive shotgun course and then add what you need (not what looks cool) afterward.

I will disagree here with the notion that these guns are the only choices. I have an H&R Pardner, a Norinco Hawk 982, as well as an 870, Mossberg 500, 590A1, and 930SPX. I trust my life, and the lives of my family, with any of them. The Hawk 982 is actually better than the current 870 Express and a whole lot cheaper than a similarly equipped 870. There are a lot of suitable choices, but Mossberg and Remington top the list.

ETA: I also have a Winchester 1300 Defender. Great gun, but getting harder and harder to find. I hear that the Stevens 320 is a clone of the 1300 though - and a good one at that.
    Last edited by petecamp; August 7th, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Brad426 and CIBMike like this.

I own an 870 and a Mavrick and both have turn out really well. The action on the 870 is very smooth, but for whatever reason I prefer the mavrick. maybe its just because I've had it so long. I bought on my 18th birthday at a gun show. the mossberg 500 barrels fit nicely so I bought a 26" for hunting. killed my first deer with it and it has protected my life on one occasion. as far as the 12 vs 20 gauge, 12 after market parts will be easier to find and likely cheaper. as well as ammo. I highly recommend PDX1 12 gauge, I had an opportunity to try out a couple boxes last year after halloween on some pumpkins and other targets. It hold its pattern very well. in home I might stay away from slugs and go with smaller buckshot like number 1 buck.

I'd go 510 mini bantam.
    http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../NEW/50485.jpg

20 gauge will get the job done.

I actually wish I got the 510 for myself, instead of my 930, because of the adjustable stock.

Hold on, do you have tactical shotgun training? The shotgun is actually a more complex weapon than the handgun. Do you know how to select the right load for the situation and the distance? Can you shoot one and load one quickly? Do you know how to clear malfunctions? Can you do all of these things fast under pressure? Do you know how to handle a long gun in tight quarters? If the answers to these questions are no, then you may want to put off your purchase decision.

Check out the Mossberg SA-20. I wish I'd bought that. It's cheap, affordable, and delivers a sufficient load for most home defense purposes at a lighter recoil. If "traditional stock" means wood, you might have to look around, but I would think you should be able to find wood?

Read this review: Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Shotgun

You'll need a weapon-mounted light, sidesaddle ammo carrier, and a sling.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Maverick 88is my vote, I got the 20" barrel with a 7+1 capacity in 12ga. Functions flawless, and almost all mossberg 500 parts fit it. Even with the 20" barrel its easy to use in tight spaces. As to the 20 vs 12, its up to you both work. But honestly the weight savings are minimal for a long gun if you go with the 20ga.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

You want a benelli m4 tactical. Reliable as they get, you dont have to worry about short stroking it like a pump. Load it with federal flite control #1 buck.

Quote Originally Posted by mb1900 View Post
    Hold on, do you have tactical shotgun training? The shotgun is actually a more complex weapon than the handgun. Do you know how to select the right load for the situation and the distance? Can you shoot one and load one quickly? Do you know how to clear malfunctions? Can you do all of these things fast under pressure? Do you know how to handle a long gun in tight quarters? If the answers to these questions are no, then you may want to put off your purchase decision.

Check out the Mossberg SA-20. I wish I'd bought that. It's cheap, affordable, and delivers a sufficient load for most home defense purposes at a lighter recoil. If "traditional stock" means wood, you might have to look around, but I would think you should be able to find wood?

Read this review: Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Shotgun

You'll need a weapon-mounted light, sidesaddle ammo carrier, and a sling.
    I wouldnt trust my life on those turkish made huglu's. Mossberg just imports them.

Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

HD shoot gun is not going to get used everyday. It does not need to be fancy, it needs to work first time every time. No need to put a lot of cash into it.
    870 ,500 all great shoot guns.
    Mossberg Maverick sells for 159-189 all day long just about prefect size very good quality and will never fail you no madder how long it sits there. If you want to do the Rambo pistol grip easy to do. IMO bad idea but you can do it slap a good light on it with monetary switch good to go.

Like some others, I would go with the 12ga.
    But one gun that I would certainly take a look at is the Benelli SuperNova. After a long, long search of looking at the Rems and Mossbergs, I decided on the SuperNova. I'm not going to go into all the benefits if you aren't interested, but go to the gun shop and look at one beside the other two...you'll see the difference.
    I purchased mine with ghost-ring sights, a 6-shot side-saddle, mag extension tube, pad-activated light, and a sling. I really do believe it to the superior gun. Hopefully you'll take a look for yourself.

Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links