870 final touch advice

870 final touch advice

This is a discussion on 870 final touch advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I have been setting up a 870 for hd shtf an just to blast for practice. So far I have added a ati talon ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By Dennis1209

Thread: 870 final touch advice

870 final touch advice

Ok I have been setting up a 870 for hd shtf an just to blast for practice. So far I have added a ati talon collapsable stock with tri rail forarm sidesaddle aftermarket follower and ported choke an extended tube. Was wondering if there was anything that needed to b changed out for reliability or performance. Was thinking may b extended safety if it makes a noticeable difference and would like to find a good light that doesn't cost a arm and a leg. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

An 870 needs little to be a very functional shotgun. I personally do not trust safety's on an 870 it only keeps you from pulling the trigger. I keep my shotguns in what is called "cruiser ready" that is loaded mag, empty chamber, safety off, slide locked. that way if I need it I just run the slide. With the railed forearm there are a lot of options for attaching a light.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Any ideas on a good light that will survive the recoil right now I just have a small pistol light off of my xd on it would like to find a decent light and mount with a pressure switch that don't break the bank.

Best go with a dedicated Surefire Light/Forearm combo. You'll pop bulbs, split batteries and crack lenses with most anything less. I'm not sure what dollar amount is your definition of "breaking the bank" but I can tell you (from expensive experience) that you only have to buy quality once. You've already added (IMHO) more doodads than a HD shotgun needs. Take a look at the aftermarket mods that the best shotgun instructors use. They're likely to have a factory wood stock with a five round tube... but they WILL have a Surefire Light/Forearm. Good luck.
    Dutch1951 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Ya this is more of a blasting for fun gun mostly so thought I would make it look nasty anyway didn't really have any other use for it. I do all my bird huntin with a side by side. But if I needed to investigate out side of a night I would defenitly take this with me then. The stock was mainly for recoil reduction. Before with the wood stock 3 in turkey loads would kick the snot out of ya. Now I am able to run 3 in 00 thru it manageably. After the stock it just kind of needed the rest to look right. I have looked at the surfire and it's a nice setup. Just not sure I want to spend that much more money on it

I second the Surefire Forend light. All that other stuff you can live without, but a good light is worth it's weight in gold.

Shop around the used market.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have the Surefire forearm and light, great set up. I'm not sure but, I think it was a couple hundred bucks installed?

atctimmy and JerryMac like this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Dang guess I'm gana have to work over a couple hours this week. Lol you guys are killin me. Might as well finish her off right. Have went this far with it. Thanks for the input guys

You could always save a few bucks and go with the 6PX LED in a 1-inch flashlight holder. Surefire doesn't advertise it as a weapon light, but I've put hundreds of slugs and buckshot down range with this light mounted on my 870's railed fore-grip.
    IMG_1592.jpgIMG_1600.jpg
    It is an easy reach from the vertical grip and would work equally well with no VG.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Cool thank you was thinking there was a few other proven light options out there love the look of the surefire forarm but also wonder if it hangs to far off the gun. Kind of like the idea of having the light tighter to the gun not way out from it. Just have heard a lot of different statements that light in a regular rail mount don't hold up. Glad to here some one say otherwise

Links