Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions - Page 2

Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions

This is a discussion on Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Late last year I was looking for an AR15/M4 and hadn't even heard of Daniel Defense yet. I had heard about the jamming "problem" and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions

Love my DDM4 v3

Late last year I was looking for an AR15/M4 and hadn't even heard of Daniel Defense yet. I had heard about the jamming "problem" and called Daniel Defense. It took about a day for them to get back to me, but it was worth the wait. I was told that because of the cold hammer forging process that the tolerances were tighter and it was possible to have problems shooting steel case ammo because of some coating it has - especially if you let the round sit in a hot chamber. The upside of this barrel is that it is supposed to last twice as long (15,000 - 20,000 rounds fired) and did not require any break-in.

After a lot of research I started looking at pricing. The rifle was $200 more than the Colt LE6920 and $500 more than the S&W M&P MOE that I had been checking out. After some searching I found it for ~$400 under list price (grabagun.com) and bought it. The quality, fit and finish, etc. was amazing.

My eyes are not as good as they used to be so I bought an Eotech EXPS3-0 (after looking at Aimpoint and others). First I shot with just the iron sites and they worked fine. Then the Eotech. Groups were very consistent and tight - this combination worked well for me, but I really didn't like the fixed rear sight (I just ordered a Troy BUIS that folds and anticipate that I will like this better as it won't get in the way of the Eotech).

I've only made two other changes to the rifle. The first was an ambidextrous safety since I'm a lefty. The second was to have lighter springs installed for the trigger. Both were installed last week and I have not been to the range since then. The stock trigger is very smooth and works well, but is heavy at about 8-9 lbs pull. The new springs dropped it to the 4-5 lb range and cost $20 ($5 for the Brownell spring kit and $15 for a local gunsmith to install). That should be fine, but if not I'll spend the $200 on a Geissele SSA.

I'm also looking at the Phase 5 ABL-CHA Ambidextrous Charging Handle (again, because I'm a lefty). I've shot about 1,000 rounds through my rifle and have had no misfeeds, jams, or any other problems. It shots great and I'm completely satisfied with everything about this rifle.

CN
    discoboxer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I am having a horrid time choosing between a BCM or a DD ?? !!!! ??

It's keeping me up late at night browsing this forum for an RX to quell the BR Infection I'm coming down with ...
    discoboxer likes this.

Well, I have received my DDM4v4. Actually got it over a week ago. Because it does not have sights installed, I have not shot it yet. I am eagerly waiting on Troy Battlesights to arrive so I can wing this sweet piece of precision excellence at the range!

I was impressed right away when I picked it up. Packaging was nice and it came with it's own gun case with "Daniel Defense" in raised lettering on the side plus a pmag. The finish is excellent, even looking through the detailed machining once the upper was popped open. The gun does not make a sound when you shake it as everything does seem to have tight tolerances. Other than lack of sights (I ordered this way), the gun is ready to fire. It was not coated in "packing lube", but oiled appropriately. Of course I couldn't wait to play, so I still stripped it down, cleaned it, and re-lubed all moving parts.

The manual that came with the firearm is great, meaning it covers safety, mechanics and maintenance very well with blown-up parts diagrams. Again the finish is excellent, comparable to the likes of a LWRC or Noveske without the weight or costs.

I cannot speak on how it performs, but struggling to wait til my Troy Sights come in to test. I will post pics of this new addition to the family shortly.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links