Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions

This is a discussion on Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering the purchase of an AR-type platform and I am leaning towards the DDM4v4. This rifle will see frequent use and will need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Daniel Defense DDM4 Opinions

I am considering the purchase of an AR-type platform and I am leaning towards the DDM4v4. This rifle will see frequent use and will need to be durable "field quality", since I will not be gentle with it.

I am new to Daniel Defense, but the rifles look and feel pretty good. Any positive or negative thoughts regarding this manufacturer and their rifles?
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I own one. I did my due diligence before buying. High quality stuff and a very respectable reputation.
    atctimmy and discoboxer like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

For an outright first AR, that would be a very good choice.

Lower on the price scale, presuming you can find one, BCM or a Colt will keep you closer to the $1.1k mark. DD is good quality, and you are not paying for a name.
    discoboxer likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    After much research, I ordered a DD M4V7. On the truck for delivery to my FFL today, picking up this evening. Go for it. Rainier Arms has them in stock.
    discoboxer likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Exceptional rifle! You can't go wrong with one. Go for it!
    discoboxer likes this.

About the only thing that I have found as a possible negative is some folks saying they have a "break-in" period and will jam on the first couple hundred rounds. Doesn't seem like a major issue that some polishing or finesse won't take care of at most, since these type of posts aren't that common. Thoughts?

Another question is weather or not these are DI or gas piston? For a "noob" like me, the language I have read on the website leads me to think it is DI, but not entirely sure.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    It's a DI gun. What is the price? That is the big question.
    discoboxer likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It's a DI gun. What is the price? That is the big question.
    Best price yet is new, just under $1300 w/o sights. About $129 additional for sights.
    ― Albert Einstein

I am debating about the DD sights. I don't have to wait if I purchase now w/o sights and then order them from another vendor who has them in stock. I am thinking about putting an EOTech on, but still want some type of fixed/folding sight to "fail-over" to.
    ― Albert Einstein

Daniel Defense is legit tier one stuff. They have recently changed their factory railed handguard, front sight base and flash hider, and shortly after brought a rather large price increase. Some of the older guns can still be had at a deal, though.

A colleague who was running DD's at a training center in southern VA had several problems with the factory triggers and trigger parts failing in many ways, and it seems that the case hardening just wasn't up to par. That being said, factory GI triggers (especially Daniel Defense GI triggers) suck and a Geissele will fix this shortcoming.
    discoboxer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    About the only thing that I have found as a possible negative is some folks saying they have a "break-in" period and will jam on the first couple hundred rounds. Doesn't seem like a major issue that some polishing or finesse won't take care of at most, since these type of posts aren't that common. Thoughts?

Another question is weather or not these are DI or gas piston? For a "noob" like me, the language I have read on the website leads me to think it is DI, but not entirely sure.
    I have not had any issues with "break-in" with mine and it is a very low serial number. (as in single digit) I have 5 other friends that have DD's (newer releases) and none of them have experienced any failures either. Was not aware that people were having these problems?
    discoboxer likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by discoboxer View Post
    Best price yet is new, just under $1300 w/o sights. About $129 additional for sights.
    Yep, I'd go for it. It's not a bad price at all.

You can shop sights at Midway usa, brownells or any number of other places.
    discoboxer likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I work at a range part time that has rented a DD Version 1 for four and half years. One good way to judge duribility is give it to the lowest common denomator and see if comes back still working.

It barely ever gets cleaned, and the only thing that broke on it was the rail system of all things. The barrel is still original. I wouldn't want to take it to Camp Perry and try and win a 1000 yard match however, its still can stack shots out to 50 yards NO problems.

The gun probably has on average 1000 rounds of ammo put through it week, Therefore, that would put us in the over 200, 000 round count. The gun still works fine. Hope this helps
    discoboxer likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I picked mine up today, there are pictures in a separate thread. It is better than I expected, and I had high expectations. Solid yet light, fit and finish is fantastic. At that price, go for it. You will be glad you spent a few extra bucks.
    discoboxer likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience. I will be officially ordering this coming week!
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links