IAC Model 97 trenchsweeper

This is a discussion on IAC Model 97 trenchsweeper within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased an IAC Model 97 Trenchsweeper, which is a Chinese clone of the Winchester WW1 and WW2 trench sweeper. It has an 18" ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: IAC Model 97 trenchsweeper

I recently purchased an IAC Model 97 Trenchsweeper, which is a Chinese clone of the Winchester WW1 and WW2 trench sweeper. It has an 18" barrel with cylinder choke and a 5+1 capacity for 2 3/4 inch shells. Also has a heat shield and bayonet lug. It is currently my only pump gun but I do own a Mossberg 930 SPX. What do you guys think of using it as a home defense shotgun? I tend to trust a pump vs semi auto and prefer a handheld flashlight vs a mounted one...I am interested in having some work done on it like lengthening the forcing cone and smoothing out the action etc if anybody can recommend a place to send it.

VIP Member
    Should not be a thing wrong with it.

That type weapon served the military and police world for years. You will find that a handheld light and long gun do not do well together.

Should you feel you need it a simple sleeve on the buttstock could hold extra or speciality ammunition. I do not know what load you feed it for HD but avoid mixing and matching slugs and buck. In the heat of the moment you will never remember where you are at in the rotation. If you think you will need speciality stuff simply carry it along with the weapon and practice doing slug drills.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Lengthening the forcing cone on a defensive shotgun probably isn't worth doing, unless the forcing cone is a "step." On a sporting gun it makes sense for improving patterns, but for something that will likely be throwing buckshot I doubt you'll see an improvement. Won't hurt, but probably won't help. Likewise, just shooting the heck outta the gun will smooth up the action. I'd save your money and buy a few cases of ammo for now, then see if the gun needs anything.
    pgrass101 and Ram Rod like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I'd go with gasmitty's advice. Just shoot it a lot. And for something that you are only going to shoot across the room, it really doesn't need the type of work that a sporting gun does.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Go hang-out with some SASS Cowboy Shooters. Some of them boys can make a M97 run life a Benelli M4. WhooWee!
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Im gonna assume that you don't carry a semi auto pistol for SD either,Any shotgun with a HD barrel should be good to go for HD,and yes I carry one in the chamber on my 930,instead of a shick shick the first thing a Burglar/home invader will hear is boom and repeat as necessary
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Pictures???? sounds interesting

As long as they stuck close to Browning's design, shouldn't be a problem.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Like any firearm you need to shot it to see if there any bugs in it And as gost tracker said go to SASS and read up and ask there. If it can be improved ,,they will know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I'd go with gasmitty's advice. Just shoot it a lot. And for something that you are only going to shoot across the room, it really doesn't need the type of work that a sporting gun does.
    I'm with it there....................................+3

Take off the heat shield & bayonet lug and you have the pump gun my grandkids & I have put thousands of shells through in Cowboy matches. I wish my center fire rifles worked as smoothly as the 97 shotgun does. You can slick it up, but after several hundred rounds ours was as smooth and fast as we could shoot it.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nix on the bayonet . . . you'll poke your eye out!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nix on the bayonet . . . you'll poke your eye out!
    LOL thats a good one

Lead Moderator
    If you are going to use a light handheld, practice with it. You may find a separate light is just too cumbersome.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links