Defensive Carry banner

Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

67K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  atctimmy 
#1 ·
I just picked up my first AR!
It is the new Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine from Troy Industries. I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods and it seems to be a great rifle and a heck of a deal at around $1,000.

Troy Defense | Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

Check it out here.
MPI tested bolt carrier group (albeit AR-15 style bolt)
Mid-length gas system
and a bunch of Troy goodies including folding rear sight, a free float Troy Alpha Rail with front sight, Medieval Flash Suppressor, Enhanced Battle Ax CQB grip, and Battle Ax CQB light weight stock.
On top of that I got one of the first 500 that come with a certificate of authenticity that the receivers are made of billet.

Since this is my first, I'm curious what folks think. Was this a good purchase?

#31 ·
I have not read too many range reports yet. I don't remember if it was here or M4C.net, but the rifles appear to have been built with what ever parts were available (may or may not have an auto bolt, various barrels, other components). They should all be chambered in 5.56, so you can shoot just about anything in the .223/5.56 flavors. Me - I'd run Federal/Lake city M855 or M193 only, then maybe a few boxes of SD ammo.

I do recommend doing a good looking over of everything before you buy. Front sight stability, castle nut, upper receiver end plate, gas key staking...If you have some P-mags at home, I'd bring them (empty and clean). I have read a lot of hit and miss with them accepting/functioning with the P-mags.

The price you listed is a better deal for what I saw them going for a month or two ago for what I observed in the quality.

#32 ·
I would have skipped some of the doodads and gone with an Armalite or S&W MP which gets you a chrome lined barrel and chamber. :icon_neutral:

Reactions: Drgnfly
#35 ·
It seems the M&P is Melonite and not chrome for the barrel - just like the Troy. It may be that the smith is a better rifle; I can't say, but I know that the Troy is a quality firearm that is mil-spec where it counts and comes with some great Troy components that add up in a hurry. If it isn't your favorite flavor, then no worries.
Lot's of choices these days, pick what you like I suppose.

#34 ·
1 old 0311 - I realize that your opinions of the 5.56 round are born of your experiences, and are (or at least were) valid. I would ask you to reconsider, however, based on the nearly 50 years of intense development this round has had. It is not, at all, the 5.56 of 1968. Hell, it isn't at all the 5.56 round of 1988, or 1998 - the improvements in terminal performance of some of the newest rounds are truly remarkable. I respect very much your service and your experiences, but I think you are missing out on a great round (and potentially a great platform or ten) if you don't give the modern bullets/loadings a deep, objective review. Semper fi.

#41 ·
Range Report

I took my new troy out to the range on Saturday and I have to say that I was completely impressed. Put approximately 300 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kinds. With a cheap ($80) 4x32 scope I was shooting sub MOA groups at 100 yars and hitting about a 6 inch gong at 225 every shot. I shot the troy next to a friend's sig M400 and the trigger on his was a little smoother, but that was the only thing I liked on the sig over the troy. His also has over 2000 rounds through it, so the trigger has probably broken in a little since it was new. As many have said, the BattleAx stock is pretty ugly, but it was a very comfortable shooting platform. I have shot the iMod stock and I would say that it is comparable as far as comfort. I tried out my friends Pmags, and as others have said, they will not drop free from the magwell. They functioned and fed fine in the gun, you just had to pull them out instead of dropping free. The troy mags worked with no problem and I will just use those and GI mags with the 4 extra anti-tilt followers that troy was kind enough to send me inside the 10 round mag. I was able to get my 10 round mag apart without breaking it (didn't care if I did) and even with the lighter spring, it still functioned flawlessly with the extra followers removed, effectively turning it into another 30 round mag. All in all, the troy was definitely a great buy at $799.

#43 ·
For 799$ its a great value. I really like the rail and the troy sights. Although these rifles are incredibly marked up. Here in California they are going for $1700 and even on Budsgunshop they are $1350. There is not alot of info on the rest of the gun parts. They appear to be mainly mid-level with quite a few mil-spec parts. Definitely a step above the M&P15 and Deltons though.

#44 ·
Scotty has been lurking for 6 years and finally decided to make this his first post.....interesting. Very interesting.

Definitely a step above the M&P15 and Deltons though.
OK now on the serious side of things Scotty, what makes them a step above the M&P 15? They have a similar spec sheet and the M&Ps have a fantastic track record. What makes them "a step above", do tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.