Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine - Page 3

Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

This is a discussion on Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have not read too many range reports yet. I don't remember if it was here or M4C.net, but the rifles appear to have been ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

I have not read too many range reports yet. I don't remember if it was here or M4C.net, but the rifles appear to have been built with what ever parts were available (may or may not have an auto bolt, various barrels, other components). They should all be chambered in 5.56, so you can shoot just about anything in the .223/5.56 flavors. Me - I'd run Federal/Lake city M855 or M193 only, then maybe a few boxes of SD ammo.

I do recommend doing a good looking over of everything before you buy. Front sight stability, castle nut, upper receiver end plate, gas key staking...If you have some P-mags at home, I'd bring them (empty and clean). I have read a lot of hit and miss with them accepting/functioning with the P-mags.

The price you listed is a better deal for what I saw them going for a month or two ago for what I observed in the quality.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I would have skipped some of the doodads and gone with an Armalite or S&W MP which gets you a chrome lined barrel and chamber.
    Drgnfly likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Ex Member
    I would never again trust my life to a 5.56 BUT it is a good looking rifle

VIP Member
    1 old 0311 - I realize that your opinions of the 5.56 round are born of your experiences, and are (or at least were) valid. I would ask you to reconsider, however, based on the nearly 50 years of intense development this round has had. It is not, at all, the 5.56 of 1968. Hell, it isn't at all the 5.56 round of 1988, or 1998 - the improvements in terminal performance of some of the newest rounds are truly remarkable. I respect very much your service and your experiences, but I think you are missing out on a great round (and potentially a great platform or ten) if you don't give the modern bullets/loadings a deep, objective review. Semper fi.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I would have skipped some of the doodads and gone with an Armalite or S&W MP which gets you a chrome lined barrel and chamber.
    It seems the M&P is Melonite and not chrome for the barrel - just like the Troy. It may be that the smith is a better rifle; I can't say, but I know that the Troy is a quality firearm that is mil-spec where it counts and comes with some great Troy components that add up in a hurry. If it isn't your favorite flavor, then no worries.
    Lot's of choices these days, pick what you like I suppose.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

I don't think this Troy AR has anything to do with Weapon Upgrade | M4 | M16 | AR15 | Firearm Accessory | Troy Industries .
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

just got one today for 770.00 out the door. looks good have not shot it yet.

Anyone shot the Troy yet? I found the M&P 15 Sport for $650....

Quote Originally Posted by CheaperThanDirt View Post
    Interesting rifle and interesting they're only available through Dick's. I imagine they can't make enough right now to do anything but an exclusive dealer.

I wish they would come out with a new stock though. The Battle Ax is terrible.
    I agree, the battle axe is terrible on the eyes but it feels good when you shoot it, i jsut got my troy rifle and its ok, i think i will not shoot it and save it for later since it is a limited edition rifle.

I got one for my wife for christmas... I plan on taking her to the range and having her beat the piss out of that rifle when I get back from deployment.

Range Report

I took my new troy out to the range on Saturday and I have to say that I was completely impressed. Put approximately 300 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kinds. With a cheap ($80) 4x32 scope I was shooting sub MOA groups at 100 yars and hitting about a 6 inch gong at 225 every shot. I shot the troy next to a friend's sig M400 and the trigger on his was a little smoother, but that was the only thing I liked on the sig over the troy. His also has over 2000 rounds through it, so the trigger has probably broken in a little since it was new. As many have said, the BattleAx stock is pretty ugly, but it was a very comfortable shooting platform. I have shot the iMod stock and I would say that it is comparable as far as comfort. I tried out my friends Pmags, and as others have said, they will not drop free from the magwell. They functioned and fed fine in the gun, you just had to pull them out instead of dropping free. The troy mags worked with no problem and I will just use those and GI mags with the 4 extra anti-tilt followers that troy was kind enough to send me inside the 10 round mag. I was able to get my 10 round mag apart without breaking it (didn't care if I did) and even with the lighter spring, it still functioned flawlessly with the extra followers removed, effectively turning it into another 30 round mag. All in all, the troy was definitely a great buy at $799.

I got a neat little package in the mail today. I think the Lucid HD7 looks pretty good on the Troy.
    Now that I have the RDS, I think my carbine is set up the way I want it.............for now.

DSCF2307.jpgDSCF2313.jpgDSCF2317.jpgDSCF2326.jpgDSCF2328.jpg
    Attached Images
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

For 799$ its a great value. I really like the rail and the troy sights. Although these rifles are incredibly marked up. Here in California they are going for $1700 and even on Budsgunshop they are $1350. There is not alot of info on the rest of the gun parts. They appear to be mainly mid-level with quite a few mil-spec parts. Definitely a step above the M&P15 and Deltons though.

VIP Member
    Scotty has been lurking for 6 years and finally decided to make this his first post.....interesting. Very interesting.

Definitely a step above the M&P15 and Deltons though.
    OK now on the serious side of things Scotty, what makes them a step above the M&P 15? They have a similar spec sheet and the M&Ps have a fantastic track record. What makes them "a step above", do tell.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links