Defensive Carry banner

Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

67K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  atctimmy 
#1 ·
I just picked up my first AR!
It is the new Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine from Troy Industries. I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods and it seems to be a great rifle and a heck of a deal at around $1,000.

Troy Defense | Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

Check it out here.
MPI tested bolt carrier group (albeit AR-15 style bolt)
Mid-length gas system
and a bunch of Troy goodies including folding rear sight, a free float Troy Alpha Rail with front sight, Medieval Flash Suppressor, Enhanced Battle Ax CQB grip, and Battle Ax CQB light weight stock.
On top of that I got one of the first 500 that come with a certificate of authenticity that the receivers are made of billet.

Since this is my first, I'm curious what folks think. Was this a good purchase?

#3 ·
Looks like a very nice rifle, but I only have experience with Troy aftermarket parts. Those parts, however, are generally very good.

#6 ·
Yeah, I almost didn't get the rifle because I prefer the looks of the Magpul MOE and others, but after playing around with it, I'm starting to really like it. It is a bit fugly as it just seems to break up the classic lines, but it feels great and provides a great cheek-weld. I figure that I can always throw something else on there if I really can't play nice with the Battle Ax.

#10 ·
No. Michigan has no magazine limits, but the Troy Defense 5.56 comes with a 10 round mag. It seems stupid to me, but whatever. Maybe they do that with all of them to keep things simple for those states that have mag limits. On other forums some have opened it up and it appears to be a 30rd mag with a snipped spring and stuffed with extra followers to take up the space. I haven't opened mine (yet).
I'll be picking up some 30rd Troy battle mags to evaluate them. Others are saying that Magpul Pmags aren't seating easily. I don't have any, but I may pick up one to see if it is the case with mine.

#18 ·
Mine came with the stupid 10rd mag also, in VA. Ok....Troy wants to be PC....but why make them to look like 30rd mags?? Put short 10rd mags in there so at least I know what I'm getting. Not some immitation 10rd mag that looks like a 30rd mag.

My Pmags fit ok too. The serial number on mine is like 1000 so I imagine all these are the fairly new batch. I dunno know why some are having problems with Pmags.

#12 ·
Nice rifle, I really like the look of the slick hand-guard on AR's, plus I think they fit your hand better. As to mags, the Pmag and the Troy are dimensionally virtually identical so I do not see why either will not work. If the mag well is not flared, seating the magazine into the well at first can be slower but it should seat fine. I would go Pmags, just personal preference.

#13 ·
I finally got around to eyeballing one at a local Dick's. I was impressed with it compared to the other AR's on the rack, as being the best choice for the price point, but for my intended use, too much money to spend on a rifle that I will effectively be stripping down to just the lower receiver [installing a SS 18" DMR and Vltor MUR, A5 receiver extension & PRS, Giselle SSA-E, Magpul MAID]. Had the front BUIS not been integrated with the rail, I may have gone for it. The hit and miss with Pmags was another issue of concern.

I gotta ask for those that did get one, does the front sight flip up solid, or is there play? The two that were on the rack that I saw, the front sight was loose, like 1/8" movement in all directions. That was a deal breaker for me.

#17 ·
Let us know what you think of it.
I've only got about 600 rds through mine, but loving it so far. I had one FTE the other day shooting Tulammo in a dirty rifle. I knocked it out without too much trouble and put some M885 through it with good results.

#16 ·
Wow...that's a killer deal for a rifle set up like that. I suppose one could do it themselves for that price...but it would take a fair amount of time to source the best price for all of those parts.

Methinks I'm going to have to visit a Dick's in the near future...I like the looks of the FDE one.

#19 ·
Troy Defense 5.56

I just picked one of these up, very nice gun. Afterwards .... I called Troy and asked to talk to someone about the gun's specs.... to my surprise they put me thru to the armorer thats putting these together. He's basically buying parts and putting these together some are mil-spec and some aren't. When I inquired about things like bcg's and barrels and the specs for them, .... he basically stated that he's buying what ever is available at the time he builds a batch of these. So some of these will have different components, for example ... some will have AR-15 BCG's and some will have M16 BCG's ... Mine has a M16 BCG in it. He did come out and say that these were really high quality parts that he was using to build these guns and that he was not a liberty to name the manufacturers parts. Now whether this is true or not .. I've no idea ... fit and finsh on the guns are pretty damn good. He did say that the barrels were 4150 steel and were melonite treated, said they were not MPI tested tho. BCG's were not MPI tested either and he didn't know if the BCG's were shot peened.

Now normally I wouldn't think much of it and as I said I do own one of these. I do think they should atleast be consistent with things like BCG's etc so that a person knows what they are getting. The guy at Dick's was nice enough after I asked to let me look at the BCG of the gun I was buying before we did the paperwork etc ...

It does make it hard to reccomend this gun to someone since it is kind of a moving target in terms of components ... I'd tell you to ask to pull the pin on the rear and pull the BCG and look at it, the upper receiver and any barrel stamping.

Do I like my gun ... yes .... had I called first ... I honestly probably would not have bought it. I paid $1082 for a gun that is not mil-spec in a few areas. I could have built a BCM for that ... minus the really really nice furniture...

just my opinion ...

Honor our Veterans ! They wrote the check and backed it up with their life!

#20 ·
That was kind of a disheartening read. Glad I stuck with my instincts to stay away.

#21 ·
Wow, I agree. The armorer probably said more than Troy's owners would want. Good on him for being honest. But, for a $1k, I could build my own and everything would be mil-spec.
What's with the BUIS integrated into the shroud? I can't tell, but is it held in by counter-sunk screws? If not, sucks to be you if you damage the front sight omehow.

#23 ·
Thanks for the report. I was wavering between the Troy Defense and the M&P15T. Ended up buying the 15T as it just felt better in my hand and shouldered. Sounds like I made the right choice. Dick's carries both and they seem to be the only ones who actually have the 15T. Same price when the Troy is not on sale. I'm happy.

#25 ·
Well ... I just kick myself for not having a little more self-control and calling first ;) I love the gun I really do ... I've yet to shoot it .... I'll probably box it all up and wait a year and sell it as a brand new never shot one of a kind limited edition Troy ;) I just felt like the Armorer didn't know as much about the QC of what he was buying. There's no way you could build the gun for what they are selling it for ... there's like $600 in furniture on the thing ... I guess I could strip it down and put all the furniture from it on another AR build and have a "naked" gun lol....

Oh well .... live and learn ... just thought you guys might want to know ... and who knows ... if this takes off Troy may change their methods etc ... they've definitely got nice accessories.

#29 ·
Just a quick pic of what I was able to accomplish with some good ammo. I'm in no way an expert marksman, but I'm happy.
This group was just a hair over 1/2 inch measured center to center at 100yds.
Gramophone record
Recreation Games

I'm using a Nikon Pro-staff fixed 4X scope and shooting off bags for this one.

#30 ·
I'm thinking about buying one, Dicks has them on sale thru 11/21 for 799.00, and if you sign up for their credit card you get 10% off your first purchase interest free for twelve months. That makes the rifle just 719.10 plus tax, which seems like a pretty good deal to me.

With this 10% off deal on first purchase I'm also thinking about stocking up on ammo to incluse with this first purchase, what would you guys recommend to shoot thru this rifle at a good price to start with, that is likely to be available at Dicks as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.