Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

This is a discussion on Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up my first AR! It is the new Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine from Troy Industries. I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

I just picked up my first AR!
    It is the new Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine from Troy Industries. I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods and it seems to be a great rifle and a heck of a deal at around $1,000.

Troy Defense | Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine

Check it out here.
    MPI tested bolt carrier group (albeit AR-15 style bolt)
    Mid-length gas system
    and a bunch of Troy goodies including folding rear sight, a free float Troy Alpha Rail with front sight, Medieval Flash Suppressor, Enhanced Battle Ax CQB grip, and Battle Ax CQB light weight stock.
    On top of that I got one of the first 500 that come with a certificate of authenticity that the receivers are made of billet.

Since this is my first, I'm curious what folks think. Was this a good purchase?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

sgb
    Troy Defense makes top notch kit.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Looks like a very nice rifle, but I only have experience with Troy aftermarket parts. Those parts, however, are generally very good.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Congrats! Shoot it in good health.
    I like Dick's Sporting Goods & buy there a lot. They have some worthwhile sales also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    Interesting rifle and interesting they're only available through Dick's. I imagine they can't make enough right now to do anything but an exclusive dealer.

I wish they would come out with a new stock though. The Battle Ax is terrible.
    QKShooter and sgb like this.

Yeah, I almost didn't get the rifle because I prefer the looks of the Magpul MOE and others, but after playing around with it, I'm starting to really like it. It is a bit fugly as it just seems to break up the classic lines, but it feels great and provides a great cheek-weld. I figure that I can always throw something else on there if I really can't play nice with the Battle Ax.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Wait Dicks will sell AR's but won't sell pistols......those people are backwards
    atctimmy likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Pet it, pat it, make it promises you don't intend to keep.....then SHOOT THE DAYLIGHTS OUTTA IT!!!!

And then clean her up and do it all again!!!

Love me some sweet AR15
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I noticed a disclaimer about trying to modify the 10 round magazine.So I guess Mi has mag limits
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No. Michigan has no magazine limits, but the Troy Defense 5.56 comes with a 10 round mag. It seems stupid to me, but whatever. Maybe they do that with all of them to keep things simple for those states that have mag limits. On other forums some have opened it up and it appears to be a 30rd mag with a snipped spring and stuffed with extra followers to take up the space. I haven't opened mine (yet).
    I'll be picking up some 30rd Troy battle mags to evaluate them. Others are saying that Magpul Pmags aren't seating easily. I don't have any, but I may pick up one to see if it is the case with mine.

pictures

Just a few pics
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Nice rifle, I really like the look of the slick hand-guard on AR's, plus I think they fit your hand better. As to mags, the Pmag and the Troy are dimensionally virtually identical so I do not see why either will not work. If the mag well is not flared, seating the magazine into the well at first can be slower but it should seat fine. I would go Pmags, just personal preference.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I finally got around to eyeballing one at a local Dick's. I was impressed with it compared to the other AR's on the rack, as being the best choice for the price point, but for my intended use, too much money to spend on a rifle that I will effectively be stripping down to just the lower receiver [installing a SS 18" DMR and Vltor MUR, A5 receiver extension & PRS, Giselle SSA-E, Magpul MAID]. Had the front BUIS not been integrated with the rail, I may have gone for it. The hit and miss with Pmags was another issue of concern.

I gotta ask for those that did get one, does the front sight flip up solid, or is there play? The two that were on the rack that I saw, the front sight was loose, like 1/8" movement in all directions. That was a deal breaker for me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Weight?

Have you weighed your rifle? I was just curious how it compared to some of the other stock AR's out there. I can't seem to find the info anywhere on the web. . .

Also, did it come with any kind of case?

Never mind . . . I bought one my self. 7#5oz. No case, just a box. On sale at Dicks for $999.98.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links