AR 15 or Mini 14

This is a discussion on AR 15 or Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I will have to disagree somewhat. There is nothing wrong with the mini. Most people couldn't squeeze paper plate accuracy out ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: AR 15 or Mini 14

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I will have to disagree somewhat. There is nothing wrong with the mini. Most people couldn't squeeze paper plate accuracy out of an AR. So, for what it's supposed to be, the mini is fine. It's price for what it is, is what is wrong.

For the money, I prefer the AR, but I like the feel of the mini better. Another plus of the mini is clearing a jam, the chamber is more easily accessed. And, with the ranch model and integral rings, mounting a scope is a snap.
    Yup. And the accuracy on the new ones (with the tapered barrel) is just fine.

Shoot a bunch of rounds through a direct impingement AR. Shoot the same number of rounds through a Mini 14. Tear them both down, and see which is easier to clean. The AR poops where it eats. The Mini does not. Nor does the Mini burn off its lube with hot dirty gases in the action.

And while you're tearing them down, be careful not to lose those itty bitty AR pieces in the grass, in the dark. Gotta love them cotter pins and cams...

A Mini breaks down into large pieces that you can't lose.

Had a M-16 in the Army. I'll take my Mini 14 - thanks anyway.

Oh - and if you ever need to butt stroke someone to the head, the Mini (wood/steel) has it all over the AR (plastic/aluminum).
    kmagnuss, msgt/ret, MrsA and 4 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My 30-year-old CAR has never had anything attached to it, and still maintains pie pan accuracy out to 150 yards. Assembly and disassembly is a breeze, as is its operation. I never really considered it to be cool, merely utile and effective. I'm pretty sure the semi-auto only platforms were designed strictly for the civilian market.
    Don't take it personal Mikey. Just stating an opinion, and I think I've earned the right to do that after carrying a real one for 8 years. And I'm sure opinions vary, and I've got no problem there either.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Don't take it personal Mikey. Just stating an opinion, and I think I've earned the right to do that after carrying a real one for 8 years. And I'm sure opinions vary, and I've got no problem there either.
    Likewise.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I will have to disagree somewhat. There is nothing wrong with the mini. Most people couldn't squeeze paper plate accuracy out of an AR. So, for what it's supposed to be, the mini is fine. It's price for what it is, is what is wrong.

For the money, I prefer the AR, but I like the feel of the mini better. Another plus of the mini is clearing a jam, the chamber is more easily accessed. And, with the ranch model and integral rings, mounting a scope is a snap.
    I think that this is a fair assessment.

For what the mini gives you, at a price point not far from an AR, I would (and I did ) go with the AR. But if the mini was ~$500ish, I'd consider it a little longer .... and still buy an AR

Another thing to consider is resale. The AR has a better market share and will hold its value better.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I really like the Mini14......but not at the price they are being sold. If I could get a mini around $450 I'd buy about 6 of them.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

sgb
    The AR is inherently more accurate than the Mini 14, has a longer service life, is lego's type user friendly as well as having a much wider choice of accessories and a greater supply of much less expensive magazines.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Just bought a stainless mini saturday, never fired still in box, with 6 ruger clips for 600 . thought that was a pretty good deal, might be wrong, but i like it, so it cant be wrond, oh yea, if my wife is reading this, it was really 150 dollars honey !!
    ncsteveh likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I really like the Mini14......but not at the price they are being sold. If I could get a mini around $450 I'd buy about 6 of them.
    Saw a Mini with wood stock and an 18" barrel for $650 at Walmart here in Houston, TX. Only had the 5 rd mag, so you would need to get a couple higher capacity mags, so with that probably $700 total. Saw a video from Hickock45 on you tube with the mini and it looked like a fine shooter to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the AR, but the mini looks like a lot of fun to shoot and easier to maintain. I am planning on buying a semi in 556 and I have to admit, I am debating an AR vs a mini.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Be honest. In a SHTF world, are you really going to be taking 300yrd shots? Do you need accuracy in a defensive rifle/carbine to reach that far? 100yrds or less would be the range in that scenario.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Be honest. In a SHTF world, are you really going to be taking 300yrd shots? Do you need accuracy in a defensive rifle/carbine to reach that far? 100yrds or less would be the range in that scenario.
    I want to be as far away as possible. So YES I want to shoot 300 or even 600 yards with my SHTF rifle. That is why I built mine with a 16.5 inch single cut Krieger barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I want to be as far away as possible. So YES I want to shoot 300 or even 600 yards with my SHTF rifle. That is why I built mine with a 16.5 inch single cut Krieger barrel.
    But my point is that in that scenario, wouldn't advoidance be more prudant that engagment? At 300 to 600 yrds, you could advoid confrontation and live another day. Within 100 yrds, you may not be able to advoid the encounter. Just a thought.
    MrBuckwheat and 10thmtn like this.

M1A!......... but if you are a 5.56 fan, the AR platform is the way to go. Much cheaper mags. All the buttons and levers in great places. Although most of that issue can be overcome with training. But if you live in the Peoples Republic of California I would go with the mini-14. (Or better yet, ther M1A...... : )

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    You are assuming the ability to dictate the range at which fire will be exchanged. I would hate to mistakenly make such an assumption.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

The AR has a lot of options and available accessories. Magazines are plentiful and cheap(ish), its accurate, reliable (in most forms), and very ergonomic.

The Mini-14 has a lot of character and is a fun little carbine.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the AR. However, I already have several ARs, and Minis are fun, so I'd likely go that route right now.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Lob a couple hundred off the cost of your average Mini-14 and I could maybe be persuaded. It is a quality rifle, but personally I just don't see the value when you can get an AR for just a little more. Add in the cost of Ruger magazines and the price difference closes quickly between a Mini and an AR. That being said, for those who hate direct impingement that much, prefer a more classic look, or live in CA, that's likely your best option. I can't imagine many who buy it are disappointed with how well it is put together and its function, but it's not something I would ever choose over the AR platform if I could only have one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links