AR 15 or Mini 14

This is a discussion on AR 15 or Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own & have owned several variants of both ARs & Mini 14s. I generally agree with what's been said with a few specific exceptions. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: AR 15 or Mini 14

I own & have owned several variants of both ARs & Mini 14s. I generally agree with what's been said with a few specific exceptions. The stainless Mini is anvil tough & almost completely immune to abuse/neglect. In that way, they're more like an AK than an AR. Easy to strip, easy to clean. An AR will run dirty & wet or clean & dry but gets kinda' testy with both dirty & dry. A Mini will run...regardless, with near complete disregard for conditions or maintenance. The Mini is NOT a precision rifle. It's designed for minute-of-grapefruit groups at 200 yards. There's nothing cool, tactical, spec-op or dazzling about a Mini. Yes, I would pick an AR over a Mini, but in a pure wilderness scenario I would prefer a pair of Mini 14s over a single AR...every time. With luck, I'll never be forced to decide.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

thanks for all of your comments

If Ruger would make a Mini-M1 Garand, I would be all over that. Basically the same as the Mini-14, but with an 10 round en-bloc clip and internal magazine. Make it available in 5.56mm and .300 Blackout. I'd buy several for sure, almost all the fun of the Garand, and a lot more inexpensive to shoot in the 5.56mm version.
    SIXTO likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    The AR has a lot of options and available accessories. Magazines are plentiful and cheap(ish), its accurate, reliable (in most forms), and very ergonomic.

The Mini-14 has a lot of character and is a fun little carbine.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the AR. However, I already have several ARs, and Minis are fun, so I'd likely go that route right now.
    Just crossed this bridge earlier this week. Some of us grew up watching the A Team and the mini was their gun of choice and looked awesome. Now all grown up I had to make a hard choice and went with a STAG ar. When I have disposable funds and the right one comes along I will also own a mini!

Administrator
    If Ruger would make a Mini-M1 Garand, I would be all over that. Basically the same as the Mini-14, but with an 10 round en-bloc clip and internal magazine. Make it available in 5.56mm and .300 Blackout. I'd buy several for sure, almost all the fun of the Garand, and a lot more inexpensive to shoot in the 5.56mm version.
    Thats a really good idea...
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    Remember that TV show "The A-Team"? Where they shot thousands of rounds and never seemed to hit anything? Well there ya go :)

Actually, the Mini-14 is a cool gun, but it's not an AR... given a choice it's hands-down AR.
    oldnfat likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I like the mini (especially the tactical version) for several reasons.....
    *its a nice balance between the accuracy of an AR and the dependability of an AK
    - I can shoot 2 inch groups at 100yds with the 581 series, tapered barrel
    - the action is damn difficult to get "too dirty"
    *the tactical version has a side collapsing stock which makes it easy to transport in a car (something you can't really do with an AR)
    - I realize this may only come in handy in specific situations and that you give up solidity in the stock which would be handy if, like mentioned above, you ever needed to buttstroke someone
    *with the 4 included picatinny rails you can attach anything you would ever need-- including scope, RDS, lights, lasers, foregrip, bipod
    - not that i will ever hang all that stuff, but its nice to have options
    - this particular model addresses others' concern of not being able to add after market accessories
    *the shear simplicity and ruggedness of the design (easy to maintain, few pieces to loose, will run in all sorts of environments)
    *Ruger has great customer service, although their proprietary stance on several components (firing pins, magazines...) is frustrating to say the least.
    *I was able to pick up my tactical version, with decent scope, foregrip (in case firing with the stock folded becomes necessary), 2 30round magazines, 2 20 round magazines for under $700 at a local gun show. I was considering an AR but as I looked into the Mini I realized it is a very viable option and will serve the
    purpose that most would expect of their AR.

This is not to say that I don't dream of a nice AR, but the Mini suits my needs and I got a great deal. Just sayin.....

mini14tactical.jpg
    10thmtn likes this.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

OD*
    How about they just bring the XGI to market like they promised in the 1980s?

jwhite75 and TN_Mike like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I strongly prefer the ergonomics of the Mini-14. I am a lefty with rifles, being left-eye-dominant, so the Mini's safety is very well-placed for me. A local dealer stocked and sold the 20-round magazines even before Ruger "allowed" such magazines to be sold to the general public, so getting mags has not been a problem. I do like that malfunctions are easier to reach with Minis, but then, my Minis have yet to malfunction. To be fair, of the two AR15 rifles I owned, one, a Colt, was also 100% reliable. The slimness of the Mini allows it to be stored in a much smaller space or container.

Cost and availability of AR mags is a lot cheaper then the mini 14 or 30
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hey Guys,

I just saw that Cheaper Than Dirt has factory original 20-rd mags for the Mini-14 for $29. I just ordered me an armload! - FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

Just sold my folding stock tacticool model Mini-14 to get an AR. Spent a lot on upgrades to the AR, but I'm glad I'm able to really customize the AR with better sights and all that stuff.
    I liked the mini, but if I had it to do again I would get a plain wood stock mini and a simple sling and 1 extra mag. That, to me, is what the mini-14 is good at. Mine had the tapered barrel and was plenty accurate from bench rest.
    Skillet Hot!

Like so many other questions around these parts, the answer gets pretty simple when you get down to the meat of the matter. I would rather have one Mini that I could SHOOT WELL than to have three high-grade ARs...that I COULDN'T!

It's NEVER the arrow. It's ALWAYS the Indian.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    It's NEVER the arrow. It's ALWAYS the Indian.
    Well, in that case, I'm going to sell my Sigs and buy a Jennings .22. If equipment plays absolutely no part in anything, then I could save a LOT of money, right?
    atctimmy likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, in that case, I'm going to sell my Sigs and buy a Jennings .22. If equipment plays absolutely no part in anything, then I could save a LOT of money, right?
    If you can shoot a Jennings well & trust it to save your bacon then, by all means, trade to your heart's content. My point is, we shooters often get tangled-up in hypothetical scenarios when the truth remains that you get to be an effective shooter not by spending money or reading articles but only by...SHOOTING. Nothing else gets it done. There is no substitute. Not high-end gear, not careful consideration. A hat won't make you a cowboy. A Harley won't make you a biker. A Sig won't make you a shooter. SHOOTING makes you a shooter. Yes, if pressed to your extreme example, I would much prefer a gunfight against a LGS guru with a Les Baer 1911 than against a trained, practiced handgunner with a...Jennings .22.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links