AR 15 or Mini 14 - Page 4

AR 15 or Mini 14

This is a discussion on AR 15 or Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My point isn't that training and practice aren't paramount - of course they are. But to claim that equipment NEVER makes a difference is simply....not ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: AR 15 or Mini 14

VIP Member
    My point isn't that training and practice aren't paramount - of course they are. But to claim that equipment NEVER makes a difference is simply....not true. Otherwise, NASCAR races would be won by bone-stock VW Jettas, pro golfers would just pick up a crooked stick to use as a club, and IPSC championships would be won by that ol' Jennings .22. The OPs question wasn't about training or practice or whatever, it was simply asking for the pros and cons of two similar platforms. If he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one and was Deadeye Dick with the other, I don't think he'd be posing the question, because the answer would be glaringly self evident. Yeah?
    atctimmy likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    I agree with OPFOR. I played top level paintball for years and I know that a great paintball player was a tough opponent no matter what he shot. I also learned that a mediocre paintballer with a super pimp gun that out shoots yours is also tough to deal with. It is very hard to deal with someone putting out twice the volume of fire that you can.

In the end you need to have both skill and good equipment to be at the apex of any of life's endeavors be it sports of real world.

Senior Moderator
    I like the Mini 14 and the AR but if it's good enough for Mr. T it's good enough for me.

I pity the fool who don't like the Mini 14

MR T.jpg
    atctimmy likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Both are great but I'd start with the AR platform.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In the best of endeavors, you strive to shoot up to the weapons potential. There are very few shooters capable of doing it the other way. And for those that can, it makes little difference.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yup. And the accuracy on the new ones (with the tapered barrel) is just fine.

Shoot a bunch of rounds through a direct impingement AR. Shoot the same number of rounds through a Mini 14. Tear them both down, and see which is easier to clean. The AR poops where it eats. The Mini does not. Nor does the Mini burn off its lube with hot dirty gases in the action.

And while you're tearing them down, be careful not to lose those itty bitty AR pieces in the grass, in the dark. Gotta love them cotter pins and cams...

A Mini breaks down into large pieces that you can't lose.

Had a M-16 in the Army. I'll take my Mini 14 - thanks anyway.

Oh - and if you ever need to butt stroke someone to the head, the Mini (wood/steel) has it all over the AR (plastic/aluminum).
    I'm glad someone posted this so I wouldn't have to type it all up.

I agree 1000%! I do not currently have a Mini14 but I am going to be getting one before November 7th. The Mini has the M1A action with the .223 round. Good combo if you ask me. And like 10th said, the parts are big, easy to clean. I like the Mini14 a bit better than the AR. And I have AR's.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I like the Garand style rotating bolt action in all its forms (M1, M14/M1A, Mini-14, Mini-30) much better than the DI system of the AR, and you can make the Mini into an acceptable SHTF rifle with a few well-chosen accessories. Maybe I just like to be different, but I'll take the Mini, in an Archangel Sparta stock, with an EOTech HWS.
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links