AR 15 or Mini 14

AR 15 or Mini 14

This is a discussion on AR 15 or Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; what are your thoughts pro and con on each, I don't know much about either. Thanks...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: AR 15 or Mini 14

AR 15 or Mini 14

what are your thoughts pro and con on each, I don't know much about either. Thanks

VIP Member
    AR. No contest.

The ONLY thing the Mini has over the AR is that it doesn't "look scary." In every other appreciable way, the AR is superior. With the price of most Minis now, even cost isn't much of a determining factor...
    C hawk Glock, sgb and msgt/ret like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sponsor
    AR-15 PRO:
    - You can build one cheap
    - Multiple brands and grades to fit any job or budget
    - Easy to mount optics and sights
    - Lightweight
    - Adjustable stock
    - Easily customized with a million parts
    - Easy to fix since parts swap out and are cheap
    - It's a proven, reliable platform

Mini-14 PRO:
    - It's a gun?

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I have to agree with OPFOR on this. AR is much more ergonomic. If I were buying today that's what I'd get. Accuracy is better also.

Senior Moderator
    AR15 ... itty bitty groups at 100 yards.

Mini14...pie plate groups at 100 yards...maybe
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

AR-15 hands down.

Same as what everyone else said, plus extra magazines are cheaper.

And you can have a separate upper in a different caliber, like .22lr for example.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    ccman likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Ar, without a doubt. Im surprised anybody buys mini 14's anymore. Even the tacticool model.

While the new mini 14s have 5.56 chambers, they are not standard with chrome lined barrels, which effect durability, and shooting steel if you choose to. Magazines will also cost you a lot more for the Ruger. The only stock advantage that it offers is a piston type Garrand action, which can be had on an AR at a slightly higher price than bacis guns. The non piston guns are more accurate though, so a standard stock AR will out shoot a Mini. They are both good weapons, but you can do a lot more with an AR platform. I have an AR with a varmit upper, and a combat upper, so it is extreamly versitle.

Distinguished Member
    IMHO, the best use for a Mini- is as a truck gun. And that's only if you already have one.

If you're choosing which to buy for the same money, I'd choose AR all day, every day.
    Last edited by Xader; August 14th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

I will have to disagree somewhat. There is nothing wrong with the mini. Most people couldn't squeeze paper plate accuracy out of an AR. So, for what it's supposed to be, the mini is fine. It's price for what it is, is what is wrong.

For the money, I prefer the AR, but I like the feel of the mini better. Another plus of the mini is clearing a jam, the chamber is more easily accessed. And, with the ranch model and integral rings, mounting a scope is a snap.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    AR even RUGER agrees thats why they started building them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I will have to disagree somewhat. There is nothing wrong with the mini. Most people couldn't squeeze paper plate accuracy out of an AR. So, for what it's supposed to be, the mini is fine. It's price for what it is, is what is wrong.For the money, I prefer the AR, but I like the feel of the mini better. Another plus of the mini is clearing a jam, the chamber is more easily accessed. And, with the ranch model and integral rings, mounting a scope is a snap.
    Valid points as I agree that most folks can't shoot very well as I see it all the time. My thing is that those pie plates turn into beach balls when those same folks shoot a mini-14. AR is superior in almost every way if you have the funds. I sure would not feel under gunned with a mini though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Valid points as I agree that most folks can't shoot very well as I see it all the time. My thing is that those pie plates turn into beach balls when those same folks shoot a mini-14. AR is superior in almost every way if you have the funds. I sure would not feel under gunned with a mini though.
    Well, since the OP asked for pros and cons of both, I opted to attempt to give an alternate view instead of allowing my personal thoughts jade my opinion.

Too many civilians are buying the AR platform for the cool factor and don't have a damn clue about it's operation. They just put a red dot on it, hang every gizmo made on it and declare themselves ready for war.

Also, there must be some pretty poor shots out there, because I haven't shot a mini that couldn't do 2.5 groups with Lake City ammo.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Well, since the OP asked for pros and cons of both, I opted to attempt to give an alternate view instead of allowing my personal thoughts jade my opinion.Too many civilians are buying the AR platform for the cool factor and don't have a damn clue about it's operation. They just put a red dot on it, hang every gizmo made on it and declare themselves ready for war. Also, there must be some pretty poor shots out there, because I haven't shot a mini that couldn't do 2.5 groups with Lake City ammo.
    Totally agree with you, most would never need anything more. I also agree with your 2.5 inch groups as I have done it as well, but I don't think we qualify as the average joe either.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Well, since the OP asked for pros and cons of both, I opted to attempt to give an alternate view instead of allowing my personal thoughts jade my opinion.

Too many civilians are buying the AR platform for the cool factor and don't have a damn clue about it's operation. They just put a red dot on it, hang every gizmo made on it and declare themselves ready for war.

Also, there must be some pretty poor shots out there, because I haven't shot a mini that couldn't do 2.5 groups with Lake City ammo.
    My 30-year-old CAR has never had anything attached to it, and still maintains pie pan accuracy out to 150 yards. Assembly and disassembly is a breeze, as is its operation. I never really considered it to be cool, merely utile and effective. I'm pretty sure the semi-auto only platforms were designed strictly for the civilian market.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links