What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

This is a discussion on What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; have both, jsut bought a remington police magnum department trade in, wood a little scuffed, action great,250 dollars, also have a mossberg, thinking i am ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

have both, jsut bought a remington police magnum department trade in, wood a little scuffed, action great,250 dollars, also have a mossberg, thinking i am prefering the remington, just the feel is there for me....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    870, have had it for 30+ years
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Mossberg 930 4+1 cause the first warning they will get is boom not schick schick
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mossberg 500 & 590. 500 because it was cheap and dependable, the 590 because it was my moms.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    870, for the simple reason that the first shotgun I bought
    Same here. Mine's a Wingmaster although it now sports an 18.5" barrel. I couldn't bring myself to swap out the stock. It's too pretty looking to change. I've never been very good at picking out women but I sure hit a home run the first time I stepped up to the plate when buying firearms.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Mossberg ATP8. I have actually used it with a folding stock and a lot of broom handle in the mag for legal dove hunting. Short barrel (21 inch) and full choke allowed me to track fast, low flying birds with more success than the guys I was there with.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My first shotgun was a Remington 870 but I sometimes had trouble putting shells into the magazine tube through the spring loaded shell lifter that lifts the shells into the chamber, sometimes I wouldn't get them in all the way and they'd be stuck between the tube and shell lifter. I found out with Mossberg 500/590 series all you do is drop the shells in and push them into the tube. This could be beneficial to using my shotgun under stress. I also like the fact that Mossberg offers 8+1 capacity in some of their defensive shotguns versus Remington's 6+1. I also prefer the location of the safety on the 500/590. Both the 870 and 500 are great shotguns and I would gladly take either but if I had the choice I'd choose Mossberg.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Mossy 930 hd

Love my Mossberg 500 Persuader. My choice came by way of price. I paid $235 and change I think it was? I also prefer the safety on the Mossberg over the Remington. Both are awesome shotguns, but for me the Mossberg suits me perfectly and will do anything the Remington will, but for less coin.
    64zebra likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

After my spinal cord injury had to switch to shooting left handed,the crossbolt safetys are ok unless your left handed then you have to rotate your hand under to flick it off which could be a game changer,the tang safety on my 930 is pretty stiff to move,I don't see it getting bumped off very easily
    64zebra likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I originally bought my 500 because of the price (sporting combo). I have since purchased two more barrels for it, an 18.5" and a rifled barrel with scope mount.
    The reason I wont bother with an 870 is the safety. My wife is not a shotgun shooter. If something is going on in the house where she is using it I want her to be able to safe it without getting her finger anywhere near the trigger. I also like how easy it is to visually check the safety.
    64zebra likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Had a 500 for years. Hated the safety and wanted a extended mag. The 500 is down the road and replaced by an 870.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Mossberg 590A1 20"

590A1.JPG
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    got my Mossberg 500 Persuader 7+1 in '98 for HD, I like the safety better than the Remington and for $230 at the time its a great buy, have had zero trouble with it

my department currently allows Remington 870 Police or Wingmasters only since they are made differently than the Express models
    I picked up a used Wingmaster at the gun show then bought a 18" barrel online, whole package was $350

I was told awhile back that the dept is supposed to be considering adding Mossberg to our approved list since the rangemaster and swat guys went to a shotgun school and nobody with Mossbergs had trouble but a lot of 870s did,
    now I'm not saying (and neither is our dept) one is better than the other but rather anything can happen any day to any firearm and the Mossbergs perform just as well as Remingtons

I prefer the safety on the Mossy vs Remington, especially when using gloves
    but both will put holes where needed

I want a 930spx tactical to add to my list just 'cause
    930.jpg
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Mossberg 590, 20". First gun I bought. Love the safety, and 8+1
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links