What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

This is a discussion on What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 870... Just what I'm used to; the Mossy's are great pump guns......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

Just what I'm used to; the Mossy's are great pump guns...

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

2. Remove Ads

I currently have an 870 express with a 18.5'' barrel and mag extention all for $299 new @ cabellas a little over a year ago. To me the remingtons feel a bit more refined than the mossbergs. I do like the tang safety on the burgs but if ya like the tacticool pistol griped stocks it kinda ruins the functionality of the tang safety. Not an issue for me as I prefer a "traditional" profile stock on pretty much all of my long guns. Honestly the only reason I went with the 870 over a mossberg pump was the pricing on the remington at the time. Both are proven stout performers.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

The Rem 870 vs. Mossy 500 debate is like Chevy vs. Ford pickups (with all due respect to Dodge & Toyota PU fans). My point is, we need to MOST appreciate the fact that we can easily afford & have a choice between the BEST Social Shotguns ever available in the history of the planet! I have heard plenty of personal preferences, but I have never once heard any honest shooter say that their 870 OR their 500...was junk. Give me either & I'm very well-equipped.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

870 express tactical … rem chokes, drilled & taped with “XS blade sight, XS ghost ring, and picatinney rail included”, 6+1, needn’t say more ...

When I served in the Marine Corps our tried and tested true shotgun that we had to shoot an ungodly amount of buck shot and slugs through in training for a Marine Detachment and Security Forces without a single problem was the Mossberg 590 with heat shield. As a Police Officer we carried the Remington 870 the one Ive had for the last ten years has rifle sights and shoots slugs very accurately. The funny thing is I never thought much of any of the Mossberg shotguns especially the 500 or those cheesy "Maverick" models but my number 1 hunting shotgun that I use because of how good a pattern it shoots and how rugged it is in the woods is my Ulti-mag 835 Camo that will shoot any 12 gauge shell including 3.5 shells. Out of all the crazy expensive Benelli's and Browning's Ive used, owned or lugged around for hunting the two shotguns Ive killed the most game with are the low cost Winchester Ranger my dad bought me as a kid and my Ulti-mag...
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Old-School alternative to either of the above. This Remington Model 11, purchased new by a friend in 1931, stood duty around the house for some years. The gun is "bullet proof' and dead-reliable and requires no pumping. The conclusion was reached that a compact rifle holding more rounds and with more rapid reloading capabilities was desirable and the repeating shotguns better used for hunting. The 80-year-old Remington shares hunting duties during duck season with a Winchester Mode 12. The shortened barrel is still kept on hand.

Remington Model 11 (bottom). Savage Model 720 (top).

Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade in an old scan.
    peckman28 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Remington 870 Police Magnum Specops stock, XS sights, Surefire forend. Does everything I need it to do, and I cant reach the safety on the 500 with a pistol grip stock installed.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Mossberg 590A1...just because it suits me.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a old S&W 12 gauge semi-auto. I bought it to shoot skeet with. The range was shut down in 98 and I have not fired it since.But I can't bear to part with it so it stays in the closet.

If were talking "Old School" ...

My dad still only uses his O. F. Mossberg & Sons Model 395KB 12g bolt with a select choke.

He never gets tired of bragging around the campfire about how he got it for only 5 books of S&H Green Stamps in 1968.

That thing only has a 2-round magazine but it will drop a deer at 50-yds with a slug, and he's taken everything from black bear, white tails, ducks, and even Canada honkers with it up to this day!!

Carried the "master key" Mossberg 500 in Baghdad and used a Remington 870 at a federal prison. I have to give my vote to the Mossy. As a matter of fact, i just bought one today...JIC.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

25 yr old, Winchester 1300 defender, still new in the box. LOL
    david

I got the Mossberg because it was cheaper and had 2 barrels. It's been great.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post

Just what I'm used to; the Mossy's are great pump guns...

I have a 870 express black synethic that I started duck hunting with many years ago. I would like to make a cool looking gun for home use. To get extended mag, maybe pistol grib etc how much would all this cost me? I have not shopped yet or should I start fresh and buy a new one all done up?

bmcgilvray mentioned it, so I'll point out that my 1937 Winchester model 12 that I inherited from my grandfather seems so much more solidly built than any Mossberg or Remington being made today.

I had a Mossberg 500, but sold it to a friend. It was good. I recently shot my buddy's brand new Remington 870, and I would go with the Mossberg.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links