What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

This is a discussion on What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which is your go-to shotgun and why? I'm curious what you guys prefer, because I own a Mossberg, but my departmental shotgun is the Remington. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What's your scattergun, and why? Mossberg 500 or Remington 870?

Which is your go-to shotgun and why? I'm curious what you guys prefer, because I own a Mossberg, but my departmental shotgun is the Remington. I love them both, so what'cha got?
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

I want to get a Mossberg 930 spx. I'm not fond of the pump action. I also like the location of the safety and less recoil.

"Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I want to get a Mossberg 930 spx. I'm not fond of the pump action. I also like the location of the safety and less recoil.

Mine is a 930 SPX, although I also have a 500 and 870.

I think the 870 wins slightly in the build quality, and I like the way the barrel attaches to the magazine tube better.

But I like the control locations on the 500 better. Really, between the two, for the average user, it is whatever feels better in the hand.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Both are excellent shotguns.

I have the 870 Express 12 ga, with side saddle and Surefire forearm and light. I bought the 870 because the local gun shop had it in stock.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Ive always favored remington, ive seen alot of mossbergs jam duck hunting. But, we are talking very extreme conditions. I think either is fine for home defense. Also it seems 870's isnt of the quality it used to be. Since I own a ton of shotguns, I bought a used 1100 rem barrel for 75 bucks hacksawed it around 20 inches (for reliability, gas pressure). Filed the vent rib and barrel re blued, then mounted a light/laser and mag extension. Then I went through the gun cleaned it extremely well and replaced any parts that showed wear, and all springs. Works for me, and didnt cost much at all.

12 gauge Remignton 1100 Special Field. Because it's the one my dad gave me growing up pheasant and quail hunting. It's compact and a great dependable gun. Plus it's not made anymore so it's not going anywhere.

870, for the simple reason that the first shotgun I bought (and put thousands of rounds through) had its safety aft of the trigger guard. Flicking the safety off instantly to get a shot at a flushing bird became second nature to me. Then I needed a beater gun for waterfowling, and the tang safety of the Mossberg 500 just wasn't something that worked for me, but the 870 did. Thirty years later, I love my Beretta O/U, but I still have to think about that damn tang safety. And on my Ruger 77 (Mk I), the tang safety has accidentally moved off safe a few times... just not a fan of them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Went with the Mossy 500 Home Defense because Remington just thinks too much of their new Wingmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Went with the Mossy 500 Home Defense because Remington just thinks too much of their new Wingmasters.
    "New" Wingmasters??? They've been around for 50 years. Not defending Remington, but a more appropriate comparison is between the M500 HD and the 870 Express Home Defense, which are at the same price point. The Wingmaster is the model with real walnut and polished, blued steel, not bead-blasted and painted or Parkerized.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ithaca model 37.

870 Remington 20gauge.. felt it would be easier to handle for wife and two teens.
    Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

Used to have a Mossberg 500, now an 870 Mag I picked up as a police trade-in. Went to the 870 due to ease of extending magazine capacity and compatibility with more stock choices. Both will get the job done.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Remington 887. Possibly the sweetest shotgun I've ever fired. Chambered in 3" magnum.

I would love to get my hands on a Mossberg 500 in .410, 18.5" barrel, and pistol-grip rear. Unfortunately I can't afford any guns right now. The Remington is great, but it's way too big for use indoors- especially in an apartment.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Well I cheat and keep a S &W Govenor with defensive 410 rounds!! Noisy too

Senior Moderator
    I have both but my first gun was a Mossberg 500 20ga, so that's why I like the tang safety better it's what I am use too.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links