Ruger Mini 14 input

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini 14 input within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased a Ruger mini 14 / 223 / stainless ranch rifle.==== I am not trying to compare this gun to an AR / ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By atctimmy
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By peckman28
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Ruger Mini 14 input

Ruger Mini 14 input

I just purchased a Ruger mini 14 / 223 / stainless ranch rifle.==== I am not trying to compare this gun to an AR / or any other gun, but just want some honest input from people who own and shoot this gun. So far i have shot around 200 rounds through it. Seems fairly accurate for open sights, and has seemed to perform very well. I have a chance to trade a Glock that a local gun shop is selling, leo trade ins, that i can get for about 375 out the door, for a mini 14 stainless target rifle, from what I read there is a lot of difference in the accuracy of these two guns....guess I am getting off the original thread a little, as I am on my way to buy the glock and make he trade. But would like to hear from some mini 14 owners or previous owners on the pros n cons of this rifle.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

2. Remove Ads

I paid 400 for a used stainless ranch mini about a year ago.
    All in all they are good little rifles for the money. They are not as accurate as a good AR but they will do fine at 200 to 300 yards. I grew up shooting one as well. It was my mom's toy and she could pull some very tight groups at 300 with iron sights. The only real cons are; there is nowhere near the aftermarket support as with an AR and they are picky about magazines. Some people claim to have good luck with brand x or brand Y. I've always been told to stick with Ruger factory mags, though.
    My $.02 ymmv

VIP Member
    If you can trade a Glock straight up for a mini 14 you should do it. I love Glocks but they are a dime a dozen and the money here favors the trade. I have never thought of a Mini 14 as a target rifle but Minis are fun to own and shoot.

I am not familiar with the "target rifle" variant of the Mini 14.
    glockman10mm and JerryMac like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The money/value trade is weighted on your side. And, a rifle, any rifle is better than a handgun for a fight. I think you have a win/win here.
    atctimmy, JerryMac and peckman28 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The money/value trade is weighted on your side. And, a rifle, any rifle is better than a handgun for a fight. I think you have a win/win here.
    Agreed. This deal sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd take it too.
    JerryMac likes this.

The Mini Target Rifle has features that make the trade even more tilted in your direction. Go ahead, you're doing fine.
    JerryMac likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I have a very early Mini-14 182-xxx serial range. The very early models were not known for superb accuracy but I have done well with mine. I have read that the later models are much more accurate though. Although they cost more it is better to stay with Ruger magazines, many of the aftermarket magazines will not function at all.
    JerryMac likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links