Red dot optics

This is a discussion on Red dot optics within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just bought my first ar this week. For those of you with red dot optics could you please point me in the right direction of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Red dot optics

Red dot optics

Just bought my first ar this week. For those of you with red dot optics could you please point me in the right direction of a quality unit with some first hand experiance. Thank you in advance

2. Remove Ads

I have an Aimpoint Comp ML2 on my AR. I would recommend it with no hesitation.

VIP Member
    I have a DeltaPoint on my Glock, and have been very happy with it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sponsor
    Any Aimpoint, Trijicon or EOTech would be the best quality though they come at a premium price. The Aimpoint PRO may be the best value of these.

Primary Arms offers several low cost clones that have a pretty good track record. Nowhere near the quality of the BigBoys but nowhere near the price either.

Stay away from any Chicom clones on fleabay. They're all complete junk.

ETA:

I have an Aimpoint Comp M3 on my primary AR and a PA M4 clone on a Colt M4 OPS 22lr AR style plinker. Neither will see any combat(hopefully). Both do their job perfectly.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

RKM
    I'd repeat what luvmy40 said. Aimpoint and Eotech are top notch. I don't have any experience with Trijicon.

I ran an Eotech on my AR for awhile. Now I use an Aimpoint. I prefer the Aimpoint, but Eotech's are great. I put the Eotech on my 10/22 I use a Primary Arms micro dot (Aimpoint T1 clone) on my AK. Compared to the Aimpoint, The build quality of the Aimpoint is superior. The dot itself looks just as nice on the PA red dot as the Aimpoint. Using the optics, I can't really tell a difference between an Aimpoint and a PA. However, battery life on an Aimpoint is the best in the business (5 years of constant on (depending on the model).... I haven't turned mine off since I bought it earlier this spring). And while I think the PA RDS's are pretty durable and have been proven to be durable, Aimpoint is once again superior.

For a simple range/fun gun, honestly, I wouldn't waste my money on an Aimpoint. A PA red dot is plenty for a simple range gun. But I'd prefer the Aimpoint if you're setting up a rifle to be a life saver.

A Primary Arms RDS is $100. The cheapest NEW Aimpoint you can get is right around $400. The Micro's can be as high as $600 and the M4s can be as high as $800

I've got an EOTech 552 on one AR and an Aimpoint Micro H-1 on the other. I like 'em both, but the long battery life, compact size, and one-knob control makes me favor the Aimpoint. The EOTech has a lot going for it, including that 65 MOA circle and a lower price, plus you won't need to buy a separate mount as was necessary with the H-1.

I also just put a Bushnell TRS-25 on my 10/22 that I use for Tac 22 matches. I don't know how it would hold up on a centerfire gun, but for rimfire use it's a dandy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Nut up and get a good one.

I'm glad I took the advice on some AR nerd friends who know their stuff and got an Aimpoint PRO.

There may be better mounts out there, but the Aimpoint mount on the PRO remains zero'ed no matter how many times I mount and unmount and remount this optic.

yDirt

Administrator
    I'd go with the AimPoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic)

Advice. Buy only from an established trusted source. There are lots of fakes floating around out there.

The AimPoint optics are not cheap but, they hold their value as pre-owned very well and you'll never lose much $$$ on it should you ever decide to sell it.
    sgb likes this.

Just got a Aimpoint Pro with a Larue lower 1/3 riser. The pro is pretty reasonable and a great optic. Easy to mount and very easy to zero. You will not be disappointed with any of the Aimpoints, Eotchs, Tijicons. All respected brands. Really just depends on what you like. Take your time and do some research.
    Peace the old fashion way......

I think im going to go with a EO tech. Thanks for the reviews

Something to take into account is battery life with all Red Dots.

You leave these things on all the time. Is a set of batteries good for 2 years? 4 years?

Does it use an odd-ball battery the local drug store or walmart does not stock, made from unobtaineum?

Dirty

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    Something to take into account is battery life with all Red Dots.

You leave these things on all the time. Is a set of batteries good for 2 years? 4 years?

Does it use an odd-ball battery the local drug store or walmart does not stock, made from unobtaineum?
    Most of the RDS use conventional batteries; these days, even the CR123 can be found at Lowes and similar places.

The Aimpoints win the prize for battery life, which is freat because they don't have an 'off' switch. Battery life will vary, depending on brightness. I crank mine down to minimum when I put the gun away.

The EOTech does have on/off functions, and will even turn itself off after a couple of hours, but I believe that function can be managed with the switch sequence. Battery life is a fraction of the Aimpoint's.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Fighter pilots have been using the EO TECH reticle for years i prefer it over just a dot. I feel i can index to target faster than the aimpoint. To each his own though they are both great sites.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    The EOTechs keep getting better with every new generation of them.

Folks looking for smaller and lighter AimPoint should check out the AimPoint Micros which shooters seem extremely pleased with.

There are shooters still using the very first AimPoint optics and they are almost legitimate antiques already.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    to "Sideaction" (the OP), purchase your new sight from LaRue Tactical LaRue Tactical | The Dead Center of Precision You WILL NOT regret buying from them--you can be sure that you will get quality gear and service...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links