S&W MP15 tacticle ????

S&W MP15 tacticle ????

This is a discussion on S&W MP15 tacticle ???? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do folks think of a new one of these for under $1000 ??? My first AR...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RKM

Thread: S&W MP15 tacticle ????

S&W MP15 tacticle ????

What do folks think of a new one of these for under $1000 ??? My first AR
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    Hard to say. Didn't know they made a white gun. White on a white background is hard to see....lol.. JK. No picture to comment on. Or I'm going blind...lol.

Distinguished Member
    The M&P 15T is a fine rifle. Well made, reliable... and reasonably priced.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Don't have it just thinking about it so far...Would love a DD, LaRue or a BCM but just too much $$ right now..plus could buy a nice optic and ammo with extra cash
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

I see the terms "Tacticle" and "Tactical" used with the same meaning ... is there a difference?

Tactical Rifles - Smith & Wesson
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I also noticed that some of the MP 15 are for 5.56 NATO/.223 yet the MP 15 Sport is for 5.56 NATO and does not specify .223. I thought they were essentially the same round.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    The M&P line is quite good. I have one myself and I like it. HOWEVER, once you are at or above the $1K price point you should look at Colt or BCM.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The M&P line is quite good. I have one myself and I like it. HOWEVER, once you are at or above the $1K price point you should look at Colt or BCM.
    I agree. The benefit of the M&P15T at $1000 is it already comes with a Troy free float rail and Troy (or Magpul I forget) flip-up sights. That's the money you save, over a basic, bare bone LE6920 for the same price. Though the Colts, BCM's, ect. have better barrels, and come equipped with an H buffer and M16 BCG.

The M&P line is "good to go" by most standards, Mine had proper gas key and castle nut staking on them. If you plan on changing the rail and sights and all that crap on the M&P15T anyway, you're no longer saving money.... go with an LE6920 or BCM.

When I purchased my M&P15X years ago it was priced at $999.95 while all the Colts and higher end rifles were still going for $1500ish. Colts have dropped in price. If I was purchasing a rifle today, it would be a Colt or BCM. Probably a BCM. But I'm not getting rid of my M&P15 for one. it's here to stay because for me, it's good enough.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    I also noticed that some of the MP 15 are for 5.56 NATO/.223 yet the MP 15 Sport is for 5.56 NATO and does not specify .223. I thought they were essentially the same round.
    There are subtle differences between "5.56" and ".223" - I'll leave the details to google or other threads here at DC.
    In short, a firearm chambered as "5.56mm" can shoot either round, but one chambered as ".223 Rem" can only shoot .223 rounds. So given a choice between the two, go for the 5.56
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

RKM
    All M&P15's are chambered in 5.56, anything that says otherwise is a misprint. saying 5.56NATO/.223 or strictly saying 5.56 is basically the same thing. Any AR that is chambered in .223 will be listed as .223 and only .223. It'll be challenging to even find an AR in .223 other than maybe some designated marksmen type AR's. And then, they will probably be a 223 Wylde chamber which is loose enough to allow safe firing of 5.56

Externally, to the naked eye, 5.56 and .223 are nearly identical. I do believe there are some differences in where the casing steps down, but nothing you'd notice just by looking at it. 5.56 cases are also thicker and most importantly, 5.56 is loaded to higher pressure... or NATO pressures if you will. You can shoot either .223 or 5.56 from an M&P15. I shoot 5.56 almost exclusively from mine. You can feel a slight difference in recoil between the two. M&P15 barrels are "over-gassed" so they can more reliably cycle .223 ammo. That is one complaint of the M&P15 barrels. A properly sized gas-port even with an M16 BCG and H buffer will still cycle .223 just fine.

If you can find one of the new Troy 5.56 Carbines at Dicks, I think you will be happy too. The M&P rifles seem good and I was going to get one myself, but I ended up with the Troy for the same price. MSRP $1099 at Dick's Sporting Goods (exclusive for now).
    Troy Defense | Troy Defense 5.56 Carbine
    Check one out and read the thread here and elsewhere. It has many of the benefits of the higher end rifles - as you might expect from Troy. If you like how it is set up, then it is a GREAT deal. There are nearly $500 worth of Troy upgrades on it. Like RKM says above though, if you are going to change it all out, then maybe consider something else. Colt, BCM, LMT, may be another consideration.
    If you are set on M&P consider getting one of the mid-length Magpul/Smith rifles. They have lots of goodies and a great forged Magpul designed lower receiver. Street price is in the $1000 range too.
    Product: Model M&P15 MOE Mid MAGPUL® SPEC SERIES™
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Sponsored Links