Scope for an AR

This is a discussion on Scope for an AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am getting ready to purchase a Colt LE 6290 MP. Colt has partnered with Magpul and they have modified the LE 6290 with a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKM

Thread: Scope for an AR

Scope for an AR

I am getting ready to purchase a Colt LE 6290 MP. Colt has partnered with Magpul and they have modified the LE 6290 with a Magpul, vertical grip, hand guard, rear sight, hand grip, trigger guard, and stock.

I would like to add an ACOG sight but the budget says no. I'm thinking of a Bushnell 1.32 MM Reg/Green dot scope ShopBushnell.com : Trophy® 1x32 MP Red Dot Sight I can purchase this scope for under $200.

Does anyone have this particular scope? If so, I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks in advance to those who reply.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, I have no experience with scope, but I use a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x mil-dot on my .308 target rifle and it works well. I use a Millet 1-4 X 24 DMS scope on my AR and I really like it.
    ( Millett DMS 1-4x24 Designated Marksman Red-Dot Rifle Scope BK81002 w/ Free S&H )
    Semper Fi

RKM
    You do realize that's no magnification? If you want a non-magnified red dot on a budget, Bushnell makes an "Aimpoint clone" Micro Dot for under $100. Primary Arms also makes something very similar. I'll vouch for Primary Arms. It's not Aimpoint quality, but for under $100, it can't be beat.

They list it as $160+, but you can find them anywhere else for under $100
    Bushnell - TRS 1x 25mm [731303]

Primary Arms currently lists their offering as out of stock.......

As for magnified scopes, I can't help there.

sgb
    If you're looking for a quality budget scope for your AR look at the Nikon M223 1-4x20

Nikon 1-4x20 M223 Riflescope Kit

nikon_m223_1-4.jpg
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I went with one of these.

Weaver, Dovetail, Picatinny - POSP - Rifle Scopes

Extremely durable. The 6x that I have, I don't even have to make any adjustments on the elevation. The Dragunov reticule graduation chevrons are accurate. Second chevron down is good for 600y with a 100y zero. Anywhere in between you either use slight hold over, or the first chevron. Know where your rifle hits at what range.

My DMR assembly (when I get around to it) will have an 8x.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a Vortex Strikefire with a Primary Arms 3X magnifier on a QD mount.the whole set up is under $300. It's not a Trijicon but $1000 bucks less. Gives you no mag red dot and a low power scope when needed.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    OP: Red dots and scopes are two different animals. Red dots are made for CQB type situations to place rounds on target quickly but not "too" precise. Scopes are made to be accurate at long ranges, but not as fast as a red dot for CQB.

What do you prefer between the two?

I've got a Burris FullField 2-7x35 scope in a P.E.P.R. mount with a mini red dot on top. I paid $300 for the whole setup and haven't found a situation yet that it didn't work. Everything from coyotes, deer, and prairie dogs to long range target shooting. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone that wants a scope on their AR, but doesn't want to lose the ability to make close up shots.

Links